+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
rebecassss said:
Seconded. And High Park is awesome, even when you're not a kid anymore :p
High Park is beautiful. It's like a little slice of the Canadian wilderness, right of Bloor Street. Perfect.

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
Well, the time's come to extend my visitor's visa. I've been here 5 months now so I should get on and submit.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this as I have a few questions about it.

Form IMM5708E

Personal Details - Question 7: asks my current country of residence, which is unchangeable from Canada (which is a little confusing - I guess I'm 'residing' here for the time being, but I'm not a resident). It asks for a 'From' (the day I landed) date and a 'To' date. I'm guessing for the 'To' date I want to put the date my current 6 months is up? Or should I put a later date in there? If so, what?

Details of Visit to Canada - Question 2: asks how long I intend to stay for. Well - permanently I'd hope! :) But how long should I say? Another 6 months? An additional 12 months? I don't want to ask for too much time as I don't want to raise any red flags. Hopefully I'll only need another 2 or 3 months - but I'm at the mercy of the London VO! What should I put as the 'From' date - the date I landed or the date my current 6 months expires?

Details of Visit to Canada - Question 3a: asks for the funds available for my stay. Well, my wife is supporting me as I have zero funds. It's not like we have a set amount of money we're living on - just whatever she earns. What should I put? Could I put something like "$9,999 per month" (sadly my wife doesn't earn quite that much, but just an example!)

I think that's it for the minute :). Filling this form out's giving me flashbacks to filling out the PR application. Bad times lol. This one's a piece of cake compared though...

rebecassss

Jan 3, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
AOR Received.
In process 13-03-13
Med's Done....
22-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
Korma said:
Well, the time's come to extend my visitor's visa. I've been here 5 months now so I should get on and submit.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in this as I have a few questions about it.

Form IMM5708E

Personal Details - Question 7: asks my current country of residence, which is unchangeable from Canada (which is a little confusing - I guess I'm 'residing' here for the time being, but I'm not a resident). It asks for a 'From' (the day I landed) date and a 'To' date. I'm guessing for the 'To' date I want to put the date my current 6 months is up? Or should I put a later date in there? If so, what?
I just wrote "present".

Details of Visit to Canada - Question 2: asks how long I intend to stay for. Well - permanently I'd hope! :) But how long should I say? Another 6 months? An additional 12 months? I don't want to ask for too much time as I don't want to raise any red flags. Hopefully I'll only need another 2 or 3 months - but I'm at the mercy of the London VO! What should I put as the 'From' date - the date I landed or the date my current 6 months expires?
I told them that I was applying for PR and was waiting it out in Canada. I asked them for a year because I wanted to make sure I was covered if there were any delays. They granted it. I put the from date as the date my previous visa expired.

Details of Visit to Canada - Question 3a: asks for the funds available for my stay. Well, my wife is supporting me as I have zero funds. It's not like we have a set amount of money we're living on - just whatever she earns. What should I put? Could I put something like "$9,999 per month" (sadly my wife doesn't earn quite that much, but just an example!)
I just got my husband's salary for the year and wrote down whatever half of it was lol. If she doesn't have a salary maybe just take a stab at what she expects to earn over the next 12 months and claim half of that?

I think that's it for the minute :). Filling this form out's giving me flashbacks to filling out the PR application. Bad times lol. This one's a piece of cake compared though...
This was my second visa extension and it all went through nicely. I got extended for a year. I don't know if I put the "right" answers but I was granted the extension so it was OK. Just make sure to include proof of sponsorship (we sent in a copy of the stage one approval letter) and tell the truth. Good luck!

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
canuck_in_uk said:
Yeah, I had the same idea when we flagpoled and was quite annoyed when I found out :)
I like the LCBO 'n all. But the Gin sucks! Apart from Hendricks and Brokers of course. I need to get me my Gin dammit!!!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
DGT said:
I like the LCBO 'n all. But the Gin sucks! Apart from Hendricks and Brokers of course. I need to get me my Gin dammit!!!
maybe that could go under the B4 - things you import tax-free the first time you land? :) not sure it qualifies...

rebecassss

Jan 3, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
AOR Received.
In process 13-03-13
Med's Done....
22-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
canuck_in_uk said:
Yeah, I had the same idea when we flagpoled and was quite annoyed when I found out :)
I had the same idea, too! I've been looking for a rare scotch, found it in the US but the taxes on the thing just made it impossible/silly to buy. On a brighter note, I found it's little brother today in the LCBO completely by accident, one of five left in the province! Just as I'd given up hope of my celebratory landing whiskey.

Now it's just a case of trying to not drink it until I land :p

What's the gin you're looking for, DGT?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
DGT said:
Lol, I suppose that you'll have to adapt and integrate into Canadian drinking culture - which means start drinking more beer and less gin :)

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
rebecassss said:
I had the same idea, too! I've been looking for a rare scotch, found it in the US but the taxes on the thing just made it impossible/silly to buy. On a brighter note, I found it's little brother today in the LCBO completely by accident, one of five left in the province! Just as I'd given up hope of my celebratory landing whiskey.

If you're ever looking for good Scotch, just let me know. I have a lot of contacts with distillers back home from my previous job so I can always get good prices! Plus, I'm a bit of an expert. :p

I'm looking for Martin Miller's Gin, and also Cao Runn but I don't think i'd even get that in the US.
canuck_in_uk said:
Lol, I suppose that you'll have to adapt and integrate into Canadian drinking culture - which means start drinking more beer and less gin :)
Actually, I plan to open a classic Gin Joint in Toronto, and introduce Canada to the joy of Gin!

Lee J

Feb 3, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
30th April 2013
rebecassss said:

I've found Penderyn whisky at the LCBO but don't like the ridiculous price :eek:. I'm sipping Cragganmore at the moment and I'm not adverse to Crown Royal, I find it's unique sweetness quite refreshing for a blend.
As for gin, I'm a philistine, Beefeater or Gordons does for me (with tonic and a slice).

sfeire

Star Member
Nov 29, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued 25-02-2013, DM 01-03-2013, Rec in Canada 07-03-2013
LANDED..........
14-03-2013, PR card rec 01-05-2013
coolmoose said:
Landed yesterday in TO, arrived in Pearson. Had to queue for over an hour, eventually was told I shouldn't technically be allowed to land because me sponsor wasn't with me and wasn't in Canada. Told the IO that I wasn't aware of this requirement...he landed me anyway. No problem with customs clearance after that, and that was it. All in took around 1.5 hours from plane landing to entering Canada as a PR.

Spending a few days here with friends before heading back, glad to have it finally done and dusted!
Congrats on landing and welcome to Canada!! That is strange alright, I landed at Ottawa airport and was alone and nothing was even mentioned. It's funny how people have such different experiences with different IO's and are told different things!

sfeire

Star Member
Nov 29, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
michty6 said:
Decision Made! It's official (unlike the last time where they told me my COPR was in the post and it wasn't). Assuming what they told me this time is actually true then and my COPR was posted on Monday I will get it next week (of course mine gets posted the week that Friday is a holiday lol - just to stretch it out a little more ;))

Strangely enough I also got my GCMS notes today...
Congratulations Michty6!!! About frickin time! Frustrating about the wait because they were doing SFA but it's nearly done now!

sfeire

Star Member
Nov 29, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mickmerf1 said:
Decision Made!!!!!! Just checked ecas, as you do 10 times a day and got the shock of my life, can't quite believe it :D
It says:- A decision has been made on *********** application. The office will contact ************* concerning the decision. Does that mean its all done and dusted? Now where is that Postman!!!!!
Congratulations!!!!! And you have your COPR in hand, you're done :D

sfeire

Star Member
Nov 29, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
baruderu said:
Just got back from flagpoling at Peace Bridge in Fort Erie. The US immigration man was incredibly nice and we got our administrative refusal form within 10 minutes. Back on the Canadian side was another story. Agent Barossa was a cow. Very rude for no reason and just a b*tch to be honest. She seemed to be confused by the fact that we walked across the bridge rather than drive. Anyways, she used the COPR papers and my husband's passport of course, asked for our address, and that was all we were asked for (no marriage certificate). We didn't get a "Welcome to Canada", nor did we get any sort of intro to Canada welcome pack/brochures that I've heard others have received. Nothing. She just barked the residency requirements at us and told us to go to the Customs agent to fill out the B4 paperwork. Thankfully the Customs agent (Agent Giles) was friendly and welcoming and very helpful. Anyways, it's done and we're happy and exhausted.

Best of luck to all those waiting and thanks for all of the helpful information on the forum :)
Some IO's are just awful! WELCOME TO CANADA!!! ;)

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Lee J said:
I've found Penderyn whisky at the LCBO but don't like the ridiculous price :eek:. I'm sipping Cragganmore at the moment and I'm not adverse to Crown Royal, I find it's unique sweetness quite refreshing for a blend.
As for gin, I'm a philistine, Beefeater or Gordons does for me (with tonic and a slice).
Penderyn is excellent! But you are right, the price is wild. There's a really nice Kiwi Single Malt at the LCBO just now that's on sale that I'd recommend. Nice smooth caramel colour and flavour. Cragganmore is an excellent Speyside, and if you like that I'd recommend a wee Glenfarclas to you too. And Crown Royal is very nice too. The sweetness comes from the fact that it (and indeed many distilleries in North America) use a high quantity of Corn in the mix, unlike Scotch which is 100% malted barley. Canadian Whisky (or Whiskey if it's from the States, Ireland, or elsewhere), is usually a blend favouring Rye, Corn and the Malted Barley (which is almost always there in some form as it has the sugars necessary to getting fermentation going).