+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

sfeire

Star Member
Nov 29, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued 25-02-2013, DM 01-03-2013, Rec in Canada 07-03-2013
LANDED..........
14-03-2013, PR card rec 01-05-2013
Hi All!
Well this is my first post as an official Canadian Permanent Resident!!! ;D God it's good to say that!!!
I landed on Thursday at Ottawa airport. It's was all very painless! The first officer directed me to immigration where I waited in line. I then saw another officer who went through my paperwork. I wasn't asked for a copy of my marriage cert even!! He didn't ask much really and was very pleasant! He gave me a little booklet and my COPR copy and I went into customs. It's routine that you have to go trough customs on landing (probably more so at an airport, not so much by land). The customs officer was so nice and was asking me all about my life here and wishing me luck. He had a quick look through my bags and sent me on my way!! Very painless process!

Good luck to all those still waiting, I hope it's not too long for you. And for those with DM that will also land soon - it's easy :)

MapleCross

Mar 10, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2012
File Transfer...
22-10-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-04-2013
Sweden said:
I agree - I was in the same situation (coming to Canada as visa-exempt, and no return ticket) and told at the border that I had applied for PR and was coming to wait it out with my partner, and was given a 6 months stamp without further questions - didn't have to prove that I had funds, or first stage approval etc... they are usually quite lenient with visa-exempt, also because CIC states that you can apply outland and be in Canada if you're visa-exempt.
Sweden
I agree with DGT and Sweden. I came to Canada twice as a visitor. I was as truthful as possible even though I was afraid of red flags, it's better to be honest really. Saying you're here to wait out your PR vs. lying about your plans and them finding out on their own. The latter is ten times worse.

The first time I entered Canada (I'm visa exempt), I had a whole host of red flags. I told them:

1) I'm here to get married... to a guy I met online.
2) I am not employed, I stopped working to be able to stay with my future husband.
3) None of my family is coming to the wedding.
4) I haven't met most of his family (I have only met his mother and her partner, not his father yet.)
5) I don't remember the name of my husband's company, though I know where he works.

The border agent was understanding, she was even sympathetic that my family wasn't going to be there and I was meeting a ton of new people on the day of my wedding. She was concerned about funds enough to get back to England and a return ticket, but in a way of, "You're not going to rely on this one person and get stuck here if things fall through, are you?" She advised me to extend when the six months were almost up.

The process took about 40 minutes.

I left Canada when six months were up to see my family and returned 5 weeks later.

I told the other border agent:

1) I'm here to stay with my husband.
2) I have applied for PR, and we have sponsor approval - I showed the letter we got.

He didn't ask but I showed him my funds and return ticket and I told him I would leave and return if I'm still waiting for the PR approval - he also advised me to extend my visa.

The whole process took 5-10 minutes.

My advice is to be honest, and have a return ticket just in case.

Dawlphin_17

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2012
Doc's Request.
22-08-2012 & 22-01-2013
AOR Received.
22-08-2012
File Transfer...
10-09-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
sfeire said:
Hi All!
Well this is my first post as an official Canadian Permanent Resident!!! ;D God it's good to say that!!!
I landed on Thursday at Ottawa airport. It's was all very painless! The first officer directed me to immigration where I waited in line. I then saw another officer who went through my paperwork. I wasn't asked for a copy of my marriage cert even!! He didn't ask much really and was very pleasant! He gave me a little booklet and my COPR copy and I went into customs. It's routine that you have to go trough customs on landing (probably more so at an airport, not so much by land). The customs officer was so nice and was asking me all about my life here and wishing me luck. He had a quick look through my bags and sent me on my way!! Very painless process!

Good luck to all those still waiting, I hope it's not too long for you. And for those with DM that will also land soon - it's easy :)
So Happy to hear its all gone well for you!! Enjoy your new life in Canada :) !!! I'm starting to wonder if the postman with my partners COPR got lost!!! We got DM on the 3rd, its now the 16th and it only needs to make it an hour outside London and still no sign!!!!!!

saraeascott

Jun 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/10/2012
File Transfer...
28/12/2012
Med's Done....
01/07/2012
Great insight. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

MapleCross said:
I agree with DGT and Sweden. I came to Canada twice as a visitor. I was as truthful as possible even though I was afraid of red flags, it's better to be honest really. Saying you're here to wait out your PR vs. lying about your plans and them finding out on their own. The latter is ten times worse.

The first time I entered Canada (I'm visa exempt), I had a whole host of red flags. I told them:

1) I'm here to get married... to a guy I met online.
2) I am not employed, I stopped working to be able to stay with my future husband.
3) None of my family is coming to the wedding.
4) I haven't met most of his family (I have only met his mother and her partner, not his father yet.)
5) I don't remember the name of my husband's company, though I know where he works.

The border agent was understanding, she was even sympathetic that my family wasn't going to be there and I was meeting a ton of new people on the day of my wedding. She was concerned about funds enough to get back to England and a return ticket, but in a way of, "You're not going to rely on this one person and get stuck here if things fall through, are you?" She advised me to extend when the six months were almost up.

The process took about 40 minutes.

I left Canada when six months were up to see my family and returned 5 weeks later.

I told the other border agent:

1) I'm here to stay with my husband.
2) I have applied for PR, and we have sponsor approval - I showed the letter we got.

He didn't ask but I showed him my funds and return ticket and I told him I would leave and return if I'm still waiting for the PR approval - he also advised me to extend my visa.

The whole process took 5-10 minutes.

My advice is to be honest, and have a return ticket just in case.

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
sfeire said:
Hi All!

Really pleased that it all went smoothly for you and you can finally start your life without constantly thinking about immigration. You may have posted this already, but , which area are you going to live in?

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
antz21 said:
OMG OMG OMG!!!

DECISION MADE!!!! Can someone update the spreadsheet please?!?!?!? THANK YOU!!!

I actually don't know when my ecas was updated as since they were extending my medical from the email they sent me at the beginning of the week I figured it would take a couple of weeks to update so I didn't bother checking ecas the last few days!!! Thought I would take my chances tonight just in case something was different and WHAT A SUPRISE!!!

So excited, can't wait for my husband to come on Skype so I can share the news with him :D I have another 9 weeks and 4 days to wait until I land but YAY!!!!
That is great antz. Nice to see a wee red line on the spreasheet. Congratulations!!!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
sfeire said:
Hi All!

Welcome to Canada ! :) (from another recent PR! and yes - it feels good, and when you get the PR card - it's nice! the card is also pretty fancy... ). glad to hear it all went well for you, good luck with your "new life"! and going back to work!
Sweden

debbie6986

Jul 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2012
AOR Received.
08-08-2012
Med's Done....
13-06-2012
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
visa ex
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 14th march 2013
LANDED..........
Already here
;D
COPR arrived 14th march.(please update spreadsheet)
I am already in Canada and have until June to "enter"
You get so use to checking your status and the mail and nothing. Then one day! It changes everything.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
debbie6986 said:
;D
You get so use to checking your status and the mail and nothing. Then one day! It changes everything.
Congrats! There is nowhere on the spreadsheet to indicate that your COPR has arrived, we only have for "decision made" - but your timeline is fairly consistent, it takes between 10 to 2 weeks to receive a COPR in Canada.
Wish you a smooth landing - when are you going to the border? :)
Sweden

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Dawlphin_17 said:
So Happy to hear its all gone well for you!! Enjoy your new life in Canada :) !!! I'm starting to wonder if the postman with my partners COPR got lost!!! We got DM on the 3rd, its now the 16th and it only needs to make it an hour outside London and still no sign!!!!!!
I think that you should contact London on Monday... if you live in the UK, it shouldn't take that long to receive the COPR - it takes 10 days to 2 weeks to Canada, but in the UK a week should be the "norm". Ecas changes to DM when the visa is sent by post (for most cases, and the actual issue date is a few days earlier), so I think it's reasonable to contact London and check with them which address they sent it to. Did you have an "alternate" address (somewhere in Canada etc) on your application, maybe they have sent it there?
Fingers crossed,
Sweden

debbie6986

Jul 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
london
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2012
AOR Received.
08-08-2012
Med's Done....
13-06-2012
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
visa ex
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 14th march 2013
LANDED..........
Already here
I plan on crossing the boarder next weekend. My ESTA is still valid since last time I flagpoled.

Uk2Can

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
uk
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/08/2012
File Transfer...
19/10/2012
Med's Done....
15/04/2012
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
debbie6986 said:
;D
Congrats :) its all so exciting

GalloQuebecois

Apr 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2012
File Transfer...
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-05-2012
SwedentoQuebec said:
yeah Sweden explained it well and I only assumed that you where settling down in Qc since you said London-Montreal :) btw today is my 100th day since sponsor approval!!but still nothing! Hope everyone has a good week end!
sorry for the delay. applied for the csq in july, there was a delay as they couldn't process payment (!), got it in Nov/early Dec. Should take 2-3 months. you can apply for it at any stage in the process.

Dawlphin_17

Star Member
May 13, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2012
Doc's Request.
22-08-2012 & 22-01-2013
AOR Received.
22-08-2012
File Transfer...
10-09-2012
Med's Done....
25-05-2012
Sweden said:
I think that you should contact London on Monday... if you live in the UK, it shouldn't take that long to receive the COPR - it takes 10 days to 2 weeks to Canada, but in the UK a week should be the "norm". Ecas changes to DM when the visa is sent by post (for most cases, and the actual issue date is a few days earlier), so I think it's reasonable to contact London and check with them which address they sent it to. Did you have an "alternate" address (somewhere in Canada etc) on your application, maybe they have sent it there?
Fingers crossed,
Sweden
I sent them an Email Thursday asking to confirm what 'decision had been made' (there is always that what if thought in the back of my mind) and to confirm what address they actually sent it to (we have the applicants address in England, and my address (the sponsor) in Canada). My boyfriends flight isnt until April 10th but it would just be nice to sort out this final annoyance lol!

specialdiablo

Jul 10, 2012
Hello!
Now that our app has moed to "in process", it has got me worried that the decision made may be bad news! Anyone heard of that? What if they say no- for whatever reason?