+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

ldjames

Star Member
Oct 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-08-2012
AOR Received.
24-10-12
File Transfer...
14-09-12
Med's Done....
04-07-12
LANDED..........
30-11-2012 (visitor)
scottishmaple said:
ANYONE with any news today???? The only thing that is keeping me going lately is reading about everyone else making progress.....
By my reckoning there are only 6 people above you on the spreadsheet yet to go in process (which makes it 7 for me) and there are a couple of those higher up- FK22 and Srehal that seem to be way out of sync so I hope they have just not updated.

I'm hoping we get to in process by the end of the month- though I am now scrambling to work on my travel history as I also left this bit out as it was the hardest form for me.

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
ldjames said:
I'm hoping we get to in process by the end of the month- though I am now scrambling to work on my travel history as I also left this bit out as it was the hardest form for me.
I was going to do this form, but didn't because after I re-read the form it stated only if you were submitting via Paris, which I wasn't. I submitted the form but only as a blank and scored out saying Not Applicable. I hope the don't require this to be done because to remember 10 years worth of travel including dates will be impossible for me....

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
cat_herder said:
Hi all,

I got my COPR last month, and I have to travel to Canada before the end of March to get it signed etc at immigration, to get my PR card issued. I just have a couple of questions...

I've just booked my flight over to Vancouver for March. I only booked for myself, though. My wife (sponsor) won't be coming out with me, as we're desperately trying to save money for our move and this trip to get the COPR sheet signed is already an unexpected/unwanted expense. I couldn't see anything on the paperwork to suggest this is going to be an issue, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has had problems with this. I'd hate to turn up at the airport after a 10hr flight and be told that they won't sign my form because my sponsor isn't with me or whatever. Ultimately, I'm only going to be staying in the country for a couple of days, before returning back to the uk to prepare for the actual move in the summer.

Secondly, what's the procedure for getting it signed? Do I just roll up at YVR, get to immigration, and ask to see someone about getting my PR card? Do I need to make an appointment? How long does the process take from arrival to getting out of the airport?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Hey!

Congrats on getting the COPR and everything done!

You can travel without your sponsor, no problem. The main thing you need is your passport, and your COPR, and that's about it. If you're married, it's best to travel with a copy of your marriage certificate, although I haven't seen anybody been asked for it yet!

The process is really simple. Once you get to an immigration officer, tell him you need to land as a PR. He will either complete the procedures there at the same immigration booth (you standing etc), or most likely take you aside / send you to a different office with an officer. The process itself is super simple : checking that information on the COPR is correct (DOB, place of birth etc, mine only had the country, no town, so he added that), then checking your address in Canada - that's where you will have to receive the PR card, so make sure you have an address with you, can be at family, friends etc, it doesn't matter, and making you sign ( don't sign anything in advance). Then that's it! the process itself only takes 10 min more or less, but of course, it depends on how many people are in front of you!.

Then - with the signed COPR and your passport, if you want, you can go to Service Canada and get a SIN ( social insurance number), it's done the same day. There again, you'll need an address, and that's it! they will give you a paper with your actual SIN. The card comes about 10 days later.

The PR card comes about 2 months later, so you won't have it when you go back to the UK, but it doesn't matter. You have 2 choices: either you get the person receiving it to send it to you in the UK ( just make sure it's not too obvious that it's a PR card as Canada Post and most courriers have been instructed not to send PR cards overseas), OR, as you are from a visa-exempt country, when returning, you can just travel on your UK passport when you board the plane ( don't tell them you are a PR of Canada etc because you won't have proofs and it will create more headache than anything), and when you arrive in Canada, tell them you are a PR already ( and have your passport + COPR with you), returning - by then, you will be in the system so they'll be able to see it.

Also - you can land anywhere, it doesn't need to be your final destination... so if you have a stopover in Canada somewhere else, you'll do the landing procedures there.

Good luck,
Sweden

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
ldjames said:
By my reckoning there are only 6 people above you on the spreadsheet yet to go in process (which makes it 7 for me) and there are a couple of those higher up- FK22 and Srehal that seem to be way out of sync so I hope they have just not updated.
they're both from non-visa-exempt countries, resident in the UK, so it usually takes more time to do background checks etc, which explains the longer processing.
Sweden

B_cowper22

Aug 13, 2011
Hey guys still plodding along with my application... waiting for the application to go to in-process.. anyway to the question.. I'm awaiting the visa in :eek: Victoria, BC, Canada and extending my visitor visa as necessary until such time its done... when it does come through, do I HAVE to go to a border to flag-pole or is there an office here in Victoria that i can land at?....

Thanks guys... im over googled on this topic and kinda spun my head around!! :eek:

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
B_cowper22 said:
Hey guys still plodding along with my application... waiting for the application to go to in-process.. anyway to the question.. I'm awaiting the visa in :eek: Victoria, BC, Canada and extending my visitor visa as necessary until such time its done... when it does come through, do I HAVE to go to a border to flag-pole or is there an office here in Victoria that i can land at?....

Thanks guys... im over googled on this topic and kinda spun my head around!! :eek:
Hello neighbour! :) I'm in Victoria too...

I have researched that for you :) as I waited for my COPR here too...
You have to go to a border as there is no CIC office anymore where you could ask to land. The easiest way is to take the ferry to Port Angeles and flag-pole - I'll send you a private message with all the details ( I doubt that the whole thread would be interested!) :)
Sweden

cat_herder

Jul 21, 2012
Sweden said:
Congrats on getting the COPR and everything done!
<snip>
Hey! Thanks so much for such a thorough and helpful reply. I really appreciate it :)

The application process for Canada really has been an extreme rollercoaster of emotions. Not only do you have to deal with the feelings associated with uprooting and moving to a new country (excitement, trepidation, guilt etc), but you also have to deal with the stress of a seemingly entirely ambiguous immigration procedure where you're offered as little guidance as possible by the Canadian immigration service, and absolutely no means to contact them if you have questions. This forum has been an absolute godsend (this thread in particular) for helping keep my sanity in check. Without helpful posts like yours, I'd have spent the next 8 weeks bricking it over the prospect of turning up at the airport and getting told I wasn't eligible because my spouse isn't with me etc. Thankfully, now I'll be able to sleep soundly!

I'm so looking forward to getting all this done and putting it behind me. I feel that, in a way, the whole application process has somewhat cast a cloud over my emigration plans so far and, when its finally completed, I'll finally be free to get really excited about stuff. I haven't even had a bad experience compared to what some people on here have been through, so I can only imagine the stress that others are under. By comparison, my wife had a relatively simple (albeit more expensive and lengthy) time when she got her uk visa a couple of years ago; but it's swings and roundabouts I guess, though.

So, to summarise - cheers. ;)

orly

Star Member
Oct 9, 2012
Guelph, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2012
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
File Transfer...
09-01-2013
Med's Done....
15-11-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2013
LANDED..........
17-08-2013 (lived in Canada since 2012 though)
cat_herder said:
but you also have to deal with the stress of a seemingly entirely ambiguous immigration procedure where you're offered as little guidance as possible by the Canadian immigration service, and absolutely no means to contact them if you have questions.
This.

I intend to write to the Minister when my application is finally completed to highlight just what you mentioned along with some easy ways they can get their act together and actually improve things.

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
orly said:
This.

I intend to write to the Minister when my application is finally completed to highlight just what you mentioned along with some easy ways they can get their act together and actually improve things.
I certainly think changes are necessary. It's not a pleasant process.

If we received our sponsorship approval early November, is it possible we'd get a decision made late April/early May if we're lucky? I know I've waited no time compared to some of you, but I'm already starting to feel really down from all this waiting :(. I wish I'd proposed 6 months earlier lol...

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Korma said:
I certainly think changes are necessary. It's not a pleasant process.

If we received our sponsorship approval early November, is it possible we'd get a decision made late April/early May if we're lucky? I know I've waited no time compared to some of you, but I'm already starting to feel really down from all this waiting :(. I wish I'd proposed 6 months earlier lol...
Quite a few applications get done somewhere between the 3,5 and 5months mark. so late april/early may is definitely a possibility, if you are from a visa-exempt country, and have a straightforward case, as well as all the documents... Maybe even earlier if you're lucky! look at the spreadsheet - you'll see that quite a few people get done in 120 days ( in fact the average processing time in London second stage according to the current spreadsheet is 123 days - so it's possible! :) )
Sweden

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
Sweden said:
Quite a few applications get done somewhere between the 3,5 and 5months mark. so late april/early may is definitely a possibility, if you are from a visa-exempt country, and have a straightforward case, as well as all the documents... Maybe even earlier if you're lucky! look at the spreadsheet - you'll see that quite a few people get done in 120 days ( in fact the average processing time in London second stage according to the current spreadsheet is 123 days - so it's possible! :) )
Sweden
Well I'm a UK citizen and I don't think my case has any complications! I noticed quite a few people were done by around 120 days; it would be amazing if the same were for me. I have bad luck when it comes to these things and no doubt I'll be the oddball who doesn't get processed til 2014! My wife and I have prepared ourselves to be waiting til the end of the year, any sooner being a bonus. I'm slowly slipping and getting very impatient though lol. I think I've checked ecas 5 times today! The red on the spreadsheet still has a looong way to go before it's near me.

Oh well, at least I'm here with my wife. I just never realised how bored I'd be without a job!

sfeire

Star Member
Nov 29, 2012
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
London UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-08-2012
Med's Done....
24-04-2012
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
Issued 25-02-2013, DM 01-03-2013, Rec in Canada 07-03-2013
LANDED..........
14-03-2013, PR card rec 01-05-2013
Sweden said:
Sweden
123 days is average?? Wow! I see a lot of 200-220 there, I'm currently 217 and counting! I wish it was 123 this would be long over!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
sfeire said:
123 days is average?? Wow! I see a lot of 200-220 there, I'm currently 217 and counting! I wish it was 123 this would be long over!
I haven't done the maths myself, but that's what the stats at the end of the spreadsheet says.... and it's the "blue" column that I'm looking at - time to process in London - the 200/220 are the total time with stage 1 + stage 2, which is a bit tricky because London is not responsible for a longer ( or shorter) stage 1, so that's why I'm only looking at the stage 2 figures ( in blue column).

but you should be done soon!
Sweden

Swedish citizen

Star Member
Nov 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-12-2012
File Transfer...
10-12-2012
Med's Done....
25-10-2012
LANDED..........
In Canada on visitor visa
sfeire said:
I hear you! 7 months out of work now waiting for this. Hopefully the end is near.
A lot of us are in the same boat which is the great thing about this forum!
7 months!? I really hope it´s your turn soon! Yeah, I´m so glad we have the forum! Some days are awful, bored to death and not making your own money. Argh!