+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

ahm2299

Jan 18, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
waived
Fhaider said:
Hi guys

u know when u go to ECAS. it comes up like

Sponsorship Application Status : Decision Made
Permanent Residence Application Status : Application Received

but when I click on Application Received
it comes like :

We received *********** application for permanent residence on January **,****

Medical results have been received.

question is , did they start considering my application or still it hasn't been opened???

thanks
Hi Haider, you should get "in process" status on ecas to show that they started working on your file, However, many application went directly from application recieved to decision made. Wish you the later :)

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
NevilleUK said:
Hi Woffles,

That's a tricky one. It would depend what sort of evidence they need to satisfy that you were living together. If you weren't on any kind of tenancy agreement then maybe they would accept a letter from person / people you shared the house with along with the emails between you. If that's acceptable then I would go for it and apply ASAP. If they need actual contractual proof that you lived together before renting your apartment together then I would wait until you can prove that you have been living together for a year. Mind you, having had a joint bank account together for over a year is good proof of your common-law status.

I'm definitely no expert though, so maybe others on this thread would be able to give you a more definite answer than me.

Good luck :)
Thanks Neville. I would hope that the emails would be enough but I'm really not sure. I did think about a letter and I'm going to email her and ask her if she would be able to write one for me. Also congrats on your PR! :)

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Thanks :)

I should also add that we originally intended to move into the original place (the shared house in July) on a long term basis and were hoping to take over the lease when the original leaseholders moved on. After we moved in, we found out from the managing agent that the owners wanted the property back so they would not be signing new leases and that's why we found another place to live. I believe I have emails to reflect all of this so maybe this would help to show that we were planning on a long term commitment?

Woffles

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Weegie said:
I have to disagree with this point. You can volunteer in most cases where you are not remunerated. Generally, you need a work permit in order to get a SIN number (NI number) in order for your employer to pay you. Conversely, if you are not being paid, you don't need a SIN and therefore don't need a work permit. See the following link for details:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/institutions/work-volunteer.asp
Good to know, thanks so much Weegie! :) (though I have just applied to extend my stay as a visitor not a student so not sure this applies. I will look into it though).

NevilleUK

Oct 19, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/01/2012
Med's Done....
05/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
23/05/2012
johare12 said:
Congrats! thats amazing, did it really take less than 5 months! fills me with hope :)
Yeah, just under 5 months. We got our application in just before the sponsorship approval times went up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for a speedy process :)

Weegie

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2012
LANDED..........
01-04-2012

johare12

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/05/2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
21/08/2012
Med's Done....
01/04/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29/12/2012
LANDED..........
10/01/2013
Weegie said:
Hey - I found these guidelines - this should help clarify! See specifically page 26 and page 81 (section 5.39).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf
Great that was quite helpful although still somewhat confusing! They don't give much of a direct answer on the voluntary stuff but was helpful (although not the best news!) to know that I can't take on an internship or anything =/

Will look more into the volunteering although not sure where it would cross the line into work experience for some things!

Weegie

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2012
LANDED..........
01-04-2012
johare12 said:
Great that was quite helpful although still somewhat confusing! They don't give much of a direct answer on the voluntary stuff but was helpful (although not the best news!) to know that I can't take on an internship or anything =/

Will look more into the volunteering although not sure where it would cross the line into work experience for some things!
You could always ask the company to apply for a work permit - I got a 2 year work permit whilst I was here for a fully paid job in my field. So depends how flexible you are - if you are applying for Family Class PR anyway and know it only takes a few months and are fine with no money, then you can just apply for a work permit on your own. But they normally take like 3 months anyway. If you actually wanted a placement or paid internship you would have to find a company that was willing to apply for a labour market opinion for you, which can take some paperwork, but its not too difficult. I was lucky in that my company had a lawyer who did it all for me. It doesn't cost anything either - maybe $150 or something - its the lawyer costs that would be more, and you don't have to use a lawyer - you and the company can do it themselves. Depends how much effort you want to put in for the sake of a few months.

If you are looking into volunteering you might want to look into Big Brothers Big Sisters or at the library (are you in Toronto? They have a bunch of volunteering stuff). Other things I did when I was looking for work was to familiarize myself with Canadian aspects of my career - I am an accountant and so looked into Canadian specific accounting practices/laws etc to prepare myself for interviews. I don't know your occupation obviously but there are always things you can do to Canadianize yourself for potential employers! I also taught myself advanced Excel and did some online learning to bump up my resume while I waited. If you can't work, you may aswell try to make yourself as employable as possible!

Just a few ideas because I do know what its like to be out of work in another country and know what you mean about being bored (although my luck did change very quickly!)

danap

Star Member
May 9, 2012
vancouver
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NevilleUK said:
Yeah, just under 5 months. We got our application in just before the sponsorship approval times went up. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you for a speedy process :)
Hello,
I know my VO is not London but maybe somebody can give me an answer.
I was wondering after you see in your file "medical received" what comes next:
- "in process" or
- they will send the letter for the passport or
- DM
And usually from "medical received" to the next step how long is the wait?
Because so far from what i see on this forum i am confuse still don,t know.
Thank you

johare12

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17/05/2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
21/08/2012
Med's Done....
01/04/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29/12/2012
LANDED..........
10/01/2013
Weegie thanks for the reply, I'm actually just graduating next month from a degree in Event Management so you have made me think about maybe taking some time for developing my career skills! can't believe I didn't think of it :) Maybe I should expand my French skills (very basic right now) or something else like that.

Going to go and have a think! :)

Oh and yeah Toronto area (well Newmarket) hopefully going over in September to wait it out!

Caddboy

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
Hi everyone,

Well we've been waiting since Feb. to get anything from CIC, but have had nothing from them at all, no email, no letter, nothing. Been checking their website, and I know the site says processing application recieved on Feb 7 (we're Feb 15th), but I think they should change their policy to send a letter that they've at least recieved the paper work, cause all we know at the moment is that we sent it to CIC and someone signed for it, but that's all and that doesn't give us too much comfort.

When we posted it off the processing time was 54 days, but has changed to 90 days which is crazy. I've also accepted a job in the mean time back in Canada and will now have to move back without the wife and kids, as my wife can't get a job in Canada till her P/R comes through.

Anyone else heard anything from CIC that applied in Feb? What does the email say exactly / who does it come from (asssume that it'll end up in my junk mail)? What's the next step in the process after they approve the sponsor?

any info would really help as this whole process is pretty stressful at the moment.....although it seems thing have been going well for some others on here.

Cheers

Caddboy

Feb 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
File Transfer...
Also does anyone know how to get in touch with CIC, outside of Canada???? especially if you don't hear anything from them.

Deficient

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
11/07/2012 [CSQ]
File Transfer...
08/06/2012
Med's Request
Signature has med furtherance details
Med's Done....
10/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
01/11/2012
Hi Caddboy, if you click the link in my signature you'll see a list of February applicants on this board and the progress of their applications. In fact I think I picked up details of your application from Pinklady's London spreadsheet so you'll see yourself there too amongst them. A number of people have had their sponsor approval, some of whom submitted their applications after you.

I haven't had first stage approval yet so I am not sure what the email says (it also sounds like some people get notified by letter instead of email) but based on your submission date, you must surely be due to hear something very soon.

I'm afraid I don't know about contacting CIC by phone, hopefully someone else will be along to help with that.

Fhaider

Star Member
May 10, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Caddboy said:
Also does anyone know how to get in touch with CIC, outside of Canada???? especially if you don't hear anything from them.
Hi Caddboy

Its clearly mentioned in the website that visa office call agent can not answer any questions or give any update on status. Knowing this fact, I tried calling for myself but they repeated same information given on the website.

you applied 15th feb so you are next

wish you luck

Weegie

Mar 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2012
LANDED..........
01-04-2012
johare12 said:
Weegie thanks for the reply, I'm actually just graduating next month from a degree in Event Management so you have made me think about maybe taking some time for developing my career skills! can't believe I didn't think of it :) Maybe I should expand my French skills (very basic right now) or something else like that.

Going to go and have a think! :)

Oh and yeah Toronto area (well Newmarket) hopefully going over in September to wait it out!
French serve you very well in Canada - I can't speak a word lol. (Well, maybe standard grade level but that's it). Another thing you might want to do some reading on is the Canadian tax system - you have to file your own tax return for your income and figure out if your deductions are accurate or not. It's pretty easy but takes a bit of getting used to - so you might just want to make sure you know what's what before you have to do it next year. You could also start preparing a resume etc. just so you can start applying for jobs right off the bat. Your partner can obviously help you with a lot of stuff but there are things you won't think of till you're here. So if you need advice re winding up your bank accounts in the UK, exchanging drivers licence, getting health coverage or insurance (that's important), the best bank accounts in Canada, sending money home etc. etc. let me know and I can tell you. I have figured out a lot of tricks especially cheap ways of doing things haha.

If you are moving over in September you shouldn't have to wait too long after that to get your PR, maybe 3 more months, so it shouldn't be too bad. It will give you a chance to look for work here and figure out what you want to do.

Any help required, just ask! Good luck!