+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

Victorfoxtrot

Star Member
Oct 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-08-11
File Transfer...
04-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-12
LANDED..........
26-02-12
What a quiet week this is turning out to be. I know it is way too early for me to expect my PPR - most likely January - but was hoping to hear others stories who are waiting for their PPR so that I can live vicariously through them in the mean time! Any good news stories to perk us all up?

Daisies

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2011
Doc's Request.
20-10-2011
File Transfer...
15-08-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Passport Req..
COPR 20-01-2012

Daisies

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2011
Doc's Request.
20-10-2011
File Transfer...
15-08-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Passport Req..
COPR 20-01-2012
To those of you who live(d) in BC:

Can you suggest any good, safe, family friendly areas to look for housing? We would like to rent. Preferably not too far from Vancouver.

Thanks!!

GBL2011

Nov 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2011
File Transfer...
22-11-2011
Med's Done....
06-08-2011
Daisies said:

Can you suggest any good, safe, family friendly areas to look for housing? We would like to rent. Preferably not too far from Vancouver.

Thanks!!
Hi Daisies! I'm a newbie to this forum, having just sponsored my husband who is from the UK. ANYWAYS, we live in BC right now so here are some area suggestions:

Coquitlam is a nice area to rent in. You can find a very nice townhouse or detached home to rent in $1200-$1800 range. Very family friendly, lots of schools and most importantly, safe. Depending on what areas within Coquitlam you end up living in, you can expect to be about 30 mins from Downtown Vancouver.

Maple Ridge & Port Coquitlam are nice areas as well. Similar rental prices and neighborhoods a little farther from Downtown Vancouver.

SOUTH Surrey/White Rock are nice areas as well. A little more pricey in terms of rental prices. $1500+ for a family sized home/townhome/condo. The other parts of Surrey are OK, but not as safe etc as South Surrey (I know this from experience).

Langley is nice as well but you're looking at close to an hour if not more to get to downtown Van.

Richmond is the closest to Vancouver. I've never lived or had to do business there so I can't tell you very much (I've lived in Vancouver for less than 5 years)

West Vancouver is a very nice area, great views etc. Family orientated etc. But you can expect to pay more that most other areas as its a very pricey part of town. Some say its holds Canada's most expensive real estate and I wouldn't doubt it!

I suggest that you start your search on craigslist under the city of Vancouver. That's where you'll find the majority of rental listings OR with a real estate agent.

Hope that helps! (Boy, that was long!)

Tawcan

Star Member
Mar 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-6-2011
AOR Received.
28-7-2011
Passport Req..
14-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
essex0227 said:
Hey i know it says 6 weeks for passsports but do we have any sort of idea how long its taking at the minute?
I have everything crossed that its b4 chirstmas :)
Took 3 weeks for us to get the passport back.

Daisies

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2011
Doc's Request.
20-10-2011
File Transfer...
15-08-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Passport Req..
COPR 20-01-2012
GBL2011 said:
Hi Daisies! I'm a newbie to this forum, having just sponsored my husband who is from the UK. ANYWAYS, we live in BC right now so here are some area suggestions:

Coquitlam is a nice area to rent in. You can find a very nice townhouse or detached home to rent in $1200-$1800 range. Very family friendly, lots of schools and most importantly, safe. Depending on what areas within Coquitlam you end up living in, you can expect to be about 30 mins from Downtown Vancouver.

Maple Ridge & Port Coquitlam are nice areas as well. Similar rental prices and neighborhoods a little farther from Downtown Vancouver.

SOUTH Surrey/White Rock are nice areas as well. A little more pricey in terms of rental prices. $1500+ for a family sized home/townhome/condo. The other parts of Surrey are OK, but not as safe etc as South Surrey (I know this from experience).

Langley is nice as well but you're looking at close to an hour if not more to get to downtown Van.

Richmond is the closest to Vancouver. I've never lived or had to do business there so I can't tell you very much (I've lived in Vancouver for less than 5 years)

West Vancouver is a very nice area, great views etc. Family orientated etc. But you can expect to pay more that most other areas as its a very pricey part of town. Some say its holds Canada's most expensive real estate and I wouldn't doubt it!

I suggest that you start your search on craigslist under the city of Vancouver. That's where you'll find the majority of rental listings OR with a real estate agent.

Hope that helps! (Boy, that was long!)
Thanks a LOT!!! That was very helpful! We have secured housing for the first 6 months after arrival (when I get my permanent residency) but while waiting for my Visa I thought I could as well start looking into housing options... All those areas you mentioned--do they have buses or skytrain taking you to Vancouver and/or UBC? Thanks again!!

essex0227

Apr 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
4th August 2011
File Transfer...
12th October 2011
Med's Request
Received 17th October 2011
Med's Done....
2nd August 2011
Interview........
Waivered
Passport Req..
18th November 2011
VISA ISSUED...
6th December 2011
LANDED..........
14th June 2012
Thank you MDSB and Tawcan it puts me at ease hearing that lol. ;D

Tawcan

Star Member
Mar 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-6-2011
AOR Received.
28-7-2011
Passport Req..
14-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
Daisies said:

Thanks!!
My parents are from South Surrey/White Rock so I lived there growing up. It's quite a nice area. The surrounding is expanding very quickly. Not sure about rental price.

Tsawwassen is pretty similar to South Surrey/White Rock from what I gathered.

Vancouver, as you probably know already, can be expensive when it comes to rental price. However there are diamonds out there if you look hard enough.

North Van might be a good option. It's close to Vancouver, close to ski hills... however it does rain a lot.

For going to UBC the fastest way is get on Canada Line go to Cambie Station, then get on 99B line.

Tawcan

Star Member
Mar 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-6-2011
AOR Received.
28-7-2011
Passport Req..
14-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
07-12-2011
essex0227 said:
Thank you MDSB and Tawcan it puts me at ease hearing that lol. ;D
We were pretty worried when my wife got her PPR request on Oct 14th, considering she had a non-refundable flight booked to return to Denmark on Nov 23rd. That was less than 5 week. We sent the passport out on the same day (Oct 14th), London received Oct 17th. We received the passport back Nov 7th with the Visa dated Oct 27th.

Daisies

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2011
Doc's Request.
20-10-2011
File Transfer...
15-08-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Passport Req..
COPR 20-01-2012
Tawcan said:
My parents are from South Surrey/White Rock so I lived there growing up. It's quite a nice area. The surrounding is expanding very quickly. Not sure about rental price.

Tsawwassen is pretty similar to South Surrey/White Rock from what I gathered.

Vancouver, as you probably know already, can be expensive when it comes to rental price. However there are diamonds out there if you look hard enough.

North Van might be a good option. It's close to Vancouver, close to ski hills... however it does rain a lot.

For going to UBC the fastest way is get on Canada Line go to Cambie Station, then get on 99B line.
Thanks!! Will look into it all :)

GBL2011

Nov 23, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-09-2011
File Transfer...
22-11-2011
Med's Done....
06-08-2011
Daisies said:
Thanks a LOT!!! That was very helpful! We have secured housing for the first 6 months after arrival (when I get my permanent residency) but while waiting for my Visa I thought I could as well start looking into housing options... All those areas you mentioned--do they have buses or skytrain taking you to Vancouver and/or UBC? Thanks again!!
I know very little about the transit system here *hangs head in shame* but the few times that I have been on the Skytrain, its been pretty easy to get to where I need to go and I've had friends who took transit to UBC from the outlying areas with relative ease.

Y

yameen

I live in surrey and love it. The prices are affordable ad the houses are mosty new.u have easy acess to everything and its like the heart of vanc so u can hop to burnaby richmnd or downtown easily.som pple say its crime area but i havent had any probs.well i dont roam around alleys at midnite.jus be cautious.
My preference is not richmond. Ive lived there. Rent is somewat ok but the area being below sealevel the drains get flooded and smell during rain.
Coquitlam is Nice bt i find the place somewhat spooky :/
Burnaby is kinda cheap rent too bu too much construction and uphill and downhill roads.
Downtown is well busy busy.
North vancouver towards whistler is nice and peacefull but i think expensive.
Hope that helps :D

t29ylr

Nov 25, 2011
Hi,
I have just located this forum. Good to see I am far from alone in this long process.
My partner is in Burlington, Ontario and have been waiting since July. She applied from Canada for me and our 3 kids.
Application sent July 19th
Received July 22nd
Sponsorship approved 28th Sept
and have heard nothing since.

Is anyone else on similar timeline?

pinklady, you may add my details to your spreadsheet if you wish.

AnnaMcG

Star Member
Aug 17, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chrischris said:
...I'm afraid to tell you it was BC I lived in also!
lol, typical :)

Ok well Ill let you know whether they request anything, I havent checked it out yet but if its not too much I may just apply for it now.

Its been a month since they received our application now, so Im assuming if they ask for information for the sponsor application, its going to be within the next month...Id rather not hear anything though and just hear approved!! anyways...the waiting continues....

Daisies

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2011
Doc's Request.
20-10-2011
File Transfer...
15-08-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Passport Req..
COPR 20-01-2012
yameen said:
I live in surrey and love it. The prices are affordable ad the houses are mosty new.u have easy acess to everything and its like the heart of vanc so u can hop to burnaby richmnd or downtown easily.som pple say its crime area but i havent had any probs.well i dont roam around alleys at midnite.jus be cautious.
My preference is not richmond. Ive lived there. Rent is somewat ok but the area being below sealevel the drains get flooded and smell during rain.
Coquitlam is Nice bt i find the place somewhat spooky :/
Burnaby is kinda cheap rent too bu too much construction and uphill and downhill roads.
Downtown is well busy busy.
North vancouver towards whistler is nice and peacefull but i think expensive.
Hope that helps :D
yes, that helped :) thanks!! Hahaha, why is Coquitlam spooky?! That's funny. With the info you provided I feel like Richmond won't be an option, I hate rain and all the probs that come with it. Yah, now you all wonder why I'm off to Van if I hate rain ;D