+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

SwedentoQuebec

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Stockholm/Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
Med's Done....
10-10-2012
DGT said:
Wow! I can't believe that. It seems to fly in the face of the Official Languages Act.

You could make a case for that being discriminatory against Quebecois and other French communities in Canada. It was my understanding that all Federal employees had to be bilingual. Sorry to hear this, and I hope it doesn't slow things down too much.
should my partner contact his MP?? I don't want them to refuse me for complaining, should I complain after I've got my DM maybe?!

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
SwedentoQuebec said:
should my partner contact his MP?? I don't want them to refuse me for complaining, should I complain after I've got my DM maybe?!
Definitely contact your MP. I really don't think this is fair on you. One language cannot be put in front of another.

Je reviendrai avec le ministre de l'Immigration après votre DM pour qu'il soit clair qu'il ne devrait pas avoir d'effets négatifs sur la demande en raison de la langue.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SwedentoQuebec said:
Do the GCMS notes show that the app being in French actually caused a delay? (I've never seen the notes before, so I have no idea what the format is or what they actually say :)) If not, then I would suggest an inquiry through the MP first to see if it did actually delay your app.

If it did delay your app, then that REALLY SUCKS and a complaint is definitely warranted. Officially, they cannot refuse or delay your app for submitting a complaint but myself, I would still be wary about complaining before DM, never know what could happen unofficially :)

DGT said:
Wow! I can't believe that. It seems to fly in the face of the Official Languages Act.

You could make a case for that being discriminatory against Quebecois and other French communities in Canada. It was my understanding that all Federal employees had to be bilingual. Sorry to hear this, and I hope it doesn't slow things down too much.
Actually, not all federal employees are required to be bilingual. I don't know all the rules and details of the OLA (because it's around 50 pages long and mind-numbingly boring) but have a look here http://www.ocol-clo.gc.ca/html/act_loi_e.php

A few years ago, I met a woman who worked in the Canadian embassy in Madrid, Spain. She spoke English, French and Spanish. I lamented that my lack of French, and any other languages, would prevent me from working in any embassy. She told me that in fact, most of the people at the embassy spoke only English. She was required to speak all 3 languages because she was the receptionist and therefore needed to be able to communicate with all Canadians and visitors, whereas most people in the back never spoke to the public and therefore only needed English.

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
katelynlc said:
I got a call from the MP's office today!

She said that our application was processing quickly, and they are just doing the criminal record checks now (Hubby only has Canada and the UK so it shouldn't be too long I would imagine). She was worried that medicals run out in October, so she said if we haven't gotten contacted by the first of September she will make another inquiry and see what's going on.

Yay!
That sounds like great news katelynlc, fingers crossed for a speedy finish!

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/06/21/canadas_tourism_industry_could_take_hit_during_strike_by_visa_staff.html

from 3 days ago, so it seems like it is still ongoing....however there is quite often very little mention of london which i find very strange.

SwedentoQuebec

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Stockholm/Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
Med's Done....
10-10-2012
DGT said:
Definitely contact your MP. I really don't think this is fair on you. One language cannot be put in front of another.

Je reviendrai avec le ministre de l'Immigration après votre DM pour qu'il soit clair qu'il ne devrait pas avoir d'effets négatifs sur la demande en raison de la langue.
merci DGT for supporting my french haha I actually thought this would show that I will integrate easier into the quebecois community but little did I know this would (probably) delay my application. No there is no proof of that actually being a reason for delay I just did the conclusion myself since sending it from one officer to another usually means my file is waiting to get picked up again. Also, cuz my timeline was so much longer than othere swedes in a similar situation to mine but immigrating to the english speaking part (applications in english I asume) that's why I was wondering if my CSQ decition or the fact that I wrote it in french could have anything to do with the slow processing. oh well, It's almost over now....i hope...

scottishmaple

Oct 9, 2012
Where it always rains
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-08-2012
AOR Received.
11-09-2012
File Transfer...
25-09-2012
Med's Done....
21-06-2012
Interview........
HOPE NOT
Passport Req..
EXEMPT
Why is dealing with government departments so frustrating when it comes to transnational marriages, you would think that nobody has ever married someone from another country before. My situation isn't that uncommon and yet when you talk to people over the telephone it appears the world is ending because I am not married to a UK citizen livng in the UK working in the UK and have children to him, I went through all this when I first got married 2 years ago and now I am dealing with it all again....one department down a million more to go...

If anyone in my situation has any advice how to advise them that I will not be in the UK without confusing the people on the other end of the telephone, please let me know. I have just spent 1 hour (most of it on hold).

godisFin

Oct 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
07-09-2013
I sent London VO a message asking about the strike and if my file is anywhere near to be processed. Also I asked if I should send any additional documents as we are having a second wedding celebration in few weeks.

This is what they answered: "A review of your file is currently in process. It is not necessary to currently provide any additional supporting documentation. We will issue a request for specific documents upon review of your file should any additional information be required."

Nothing about the strike and I'm not sure what that answer should tell me anyway. :D Review is in process.. but then on the next sentence says they ask for additional documents upon review of my file. So?! Is it in process or not? :D Weird..

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
scottishmaple said:
Why is dealing with government departments so frustrating when it comes to transnational marriages, you would think that nobody has ever married someone from another country before. My situation isn't that uncommon and yet when you talk to people over the telephone it appears the world is ending because I am not married to a UK citizen livng in the UK working in the UK and have children to him, I went through all this when I first got married 2 years ago and now I am dealing with it all again....one department down a million more to go...

If anyone in my situation has any advice how to advise them that I will not be in the UK without confusing the people on the other end of the telephone, please let me know. I have just spent 1 hour (most of it on hold).
Tell me about it. When we filed our taxes here, the lady we were dealing with couldn't comprehend that I wasn't a resident of Canada for tax purposes even though we were married. Could. Not. Comprehend. I got SO FRUSTRATED!

What branches of government are givin' you grief?

herewecome

Dec 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-12-12
AOR Received.
17-01-13
File Transfer...
17-01-13
Med's Done....
07-12-12
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2013
godisFin said:
I sent London VO a message asking about the strike and if my file is anywhere near to be processed. Also I asked if I should send any additional documents as we are having a second wedding celebration in few weeks.

This is what they answered: "A review of your file is currently in process. It is not necessary to currently provide any additional supporting documentation. We will issue a request for specific documents upon review of your file should any additional information be required."

Nothing about the strike and I'm not sure what that answer should tell me anyway. :D Review is in process.. but then on the next sentence says they ask for additional documents upon review of my file. So?! Is it in process or not? :D Weird..
Congratulations :)

markstimson

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
File Transfer...
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-10-2013
Sounds like In Process to me! I received sponsor approval a couple of weeks after you so hopefully myself and others aren't too far behind. Any change for you on ecas by any chance?

godisFin

Oct 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
07-09-2013
markstimson said:
Sounds like In Process to me! I received sponsor approval a couple of weeks after you so hopefully myself and others aren't too far behind. Any change for you on ecas by any chance?
I'm not so sure, but I hope all that means that they are really reviewing my file. There is no change in Ecas.. so that is also why I have a hard time believing my file could be in process.. ::)

herewecome said:
Congratulations :)
thanks, i guess! :D I just still don't believe those weirdly worded sentences means I'm in process...

markstimson

Star Member
Aug 24, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-02-2013
File Transfer...
22-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-10-2013
I know what you mean, it is a little ambiguous. But take heart from the fact they specifically used those golden words!

I was recently told my file is waiting a full review. So I wondered if it meant therefore they've done an initial review...haha it's all guesswork and reading between the lines :)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
godisFin said:
I'm not so sure, but I hope all that means that they are really reviewing my file. There is no change in Ecas.. so that is also why I have a hard time believing my file could be in process.. ::)

thanks, i guess! :D I just still don't believe those weirdly worded sentences means I'm in process...
My file never went in process on ecas, but it was opened on the 26/10 and the took a decision on the 05/11 and sent the COPR on the 08/11... all that timem, ecas stated application received, and suddenly DM on the 08/11 - so don't worry too much about ecas...

godisFin

Oct 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
07-09-2013
markstimson said:
I know what you mean, it is a little ambiguous. But take heart from the fact they specifically used those golden words!

I was recently told my file is waiting a full review. So I wondered if it meant therefore they've done an initial review...haha it's all guesswork and reading between the lines :)
yeah.. It just seems like it's not my turn yet to be processed. I was thinking I might go in process next month or maybe August. I guess we'll see what happens. :) Yeah, maybe your file went through the initial review and no extra documents were needed. It's so frustrating because they can't just lay it all out... it's always guessing with them :D But, maybe there really is some people working even with the strike and that's always good news for everyone!

Sweden said:
My file never went in process on ecas, but it was opened on the 26/10 and the took a decision on the 05/11 and sent the COPR on the 08/11... all that timem, ecas stated application received, and suddenly DM on the 08/11 - so don't worry too much about ecas...
Ok. So no trusting on ecas then. :) Thanks Sweden!