+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

SwedentoQuebec

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Stockholm/Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
Med's Done....
10-10-2012
Hi everyone, i have a non immigration related question but just wanted to hear what you guys think. I'm attending a wedding on Saturday (it's my boyfriends colleague from work that is getting married) and boring as it is they have asked the guest not to buy gifts but to give them money instead. Now i was wondering what the customs are here in Canada, like what amount is polite enough to give? I don't want to be seen as rude, but at the same time I'm not swimming in money at the moment since they wont let me work here in Canada and I've been here unemployed for 6 months now living of my savings. So what do you guys reckon? (my boyfriend is not much help, it's his first wedding ever he's attending so...)

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
SwedentoQuebec said:
Hi everyone, i have a non immigration related question but just wanted to hear what you guys think. I'm attending a wedding on Saturday (it's my boyfriends colleague from work that is getting married) and boring as it is they have asked the guest not to buy gifts but to give them money instead. Now i was wondering what the customs are here in Canada, like what amount is polite enough to give? I don't want to be seen as rude, but at the same time I'm not swimming in money at the moment since they wont let me work here in Canada and I've been here unemployed for 6 months now living of my savings. So what do you guys reckon? (my boyfriend is not much help, it's his first wedding ever he's attending so...)
I believe the general protocol is to give a little more than the amount that was spent on your presence at the wedding. So if it's a fancy deal, gift more, and if it's a down to earth affair, gift less. Bit of an ambiguos answer there! Sorry!

SwedentoQuebec

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Stockholm/Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
Med's Done....
10-10-2012
DGT said:
I believe the general protocol is to give a little more than the amount that was spent on your presence at the wedding. So if it's a fancy deal, gift more, and if it's a down to earth affair, gift less. Bit of an ambiguos answer there! Sorry!
haha makes sense DTG, except for that I'm not quite sure of the degree of "fanciness" :S and they asked us to give them the money before which I also find quite special to be honest...anyway the reason I ask is because my boyfriend says 300$ which i find expensive...

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
SwedentoQuebec said:
haha makes sense DTG, except for that I'm not quite sure of the degree of "fanciness" :S and they asked us to give them the money before which I also find quite special to be honest...anyway the reason I ask is because my boyfriend says 300$ which i find expensive...
That is strange, and 300$ is pretty pricy i'd say! I'd maybe suggest a compromise. $200? :p

Immigration007

Apr 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 april 2012
File Transfer...
11 July 2012
Med's Done....
10 april 2012
Interview........
24 april
SwedentoQuebec said:
Check where the wedding is taking place.. That shud give u an idea of price they paying for you.. Add a lil extra n ur done.
Simply put.

SwedentoQuebec

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Stockholm/Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
Med's Done....
10-10-2012
Thank you guys for taking your time to answer! Yeah DTG i think I'll meet my boyfriend halfway though I'm afraid he is just going to pay the difference for me :( I hate not being able to work so I can have more financial freedom and be able to spend my money!!

davidmarsden38

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-11-2012
File Transfer...
16-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-10-2013 (extended)
Passport Req..
Exempt
Hey everyone,

This is the reply I received from PAFSO regarding the strikes:

FS officers play a key role in our immigration and visa system, so it is likely that there may be significant delays to the processing of applications. For exact impacts, please contact the Department of Citizenship and Immigration.

We regret the impact this may have on those affected. We have been in negotiation with the Government over wage inequalities for 18 months, and tried our best to avoid having an impact on service delivery. Unfortunately, we had to escalate to withdrawals of our services in order to force the government back to the negotiating table.

We hope this ends as soon as possible. In the meantime, you may wish to contact the Minister of Citizenship & Immigration, Jason Kenney, at jason.kenney@parl.gc.ca or the President of the Treasury Board, Tony Clement, at tony.clement@parl.gc.ca.

I don't know how much it helps, but there you go!

Cheers,

David

Immigration007

Apr 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 april 2012
File Transfer...
11 July 2012
Med's Done....
10 april 2012
Interview........
24 april
davidmarsden38 said:
Hey everyone,

This is the reply I received from PAFSO regarding the strikes:

FS officers play a key role in our immigration and visa system, so it is likely that there may be significant delays to the processing of applications. For exact impacts, please contact the Department of Citizenship and Immigration.

We regret the impact this may have on those affected. We have been in negotiation with the Government over wage inequalities for 18 months, and tried our best to avoid having an impact on service delivery. Unfortunately, we had to escalate to withdrawals of our services in order to force the government back to the negotiating table.

We hope this ends as soon as possible. In the meantime, you may wish to contact the Minister of Citizenship & Immigration, Jason Kenney, at jason.kenney @ parl.gc.ca or the President of the Treasury Board, Tony Clement, at tony.clement @ parl.gc.ca.

I don't know how much it helps, but there you go!

Cheers,

David

OMG, i guess we are talking more than 3 months...

Guys i think we shud all call out MP's to tell them that this needs to be resolved ASAP. Maybe that way Harper gouv. Will take some concrete steps!!!

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
Immigration007 said:
OMG, i guess we are talking more than 3 months...

Guys i think we shud all call out MP's to tell them that this needs to be resolved ASAP. Maybe that way Harper gouv. Will take some concrete steps!!!
Only really helpful if you're unlucky enough to have a CPC MP. :p But yes, I agree. Definitely a good idea to contact the MP's. More specifically, I'd contact John Baird.

Korma

Star Member
Sep 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2012
File Transfer...
06-11-2012
Med's Done....
23-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2013
LANDED..........
12-04-2013
SwedentoQuebec said:
I wouldn't feel too pressured into giving too much money. My personal opinion is that if they're the sort of person who'd think bad of you for giving like $50-$100 then they aren't worth knowing. As I said, that's my personal opinion though. :)

For our wedding most people gave us about $100, which we were thrilled with. A few gave us $200 which we were over the moon with and small number gave us more than $200, which obviously we were thrilled with :).

If money's tight, I'd say go for $100. $300 sounds excessive to me.

herewecome

Dec 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-12-12
AOR Received.
17-01-13
File Transfer...
17-01-13
Med's Done....
07-12-12
VISA ISSUED...
18-07-2013
Yeah I'd say max $100. It's a colleague, not family or friends. Let him pony it up too! I think I'm quite generous but defo would not part with more than $100 in such a situation. There will always be people who don't pay up or pay less than you so don't worry.

Some consideration should be given to his work situation but $300 sounds nuts. No wonder marriages are still so popular.

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
herewecome said:
Yeah I'd say max $100. It's a colleague, not family or friends. Let him pony it up too! I think I'm quite generous but defo would not part with more than $100 in such a situation. There will always be people who don't pay up or pay less than you so don't worry.

Some consideration should be given to his work situation but $300 sounds nuts. No wonder marriages are still so popular.
We didn't ask for a thing when we got married! I don't really understand it at all. We just wanted our friends and family to come along and have one hell of a party! And it sure was.

Asking for cash is so cynical...

SwedentoQuebec

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Stockholm/Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-10-2012
Med's Done....
10-10-2012
DGT said:
We didn't ask for a thing when we got married! I don't really understand it at all. We just wanted our friends and family to come along and have one hell of a party! And it sure was.

Asking for cash is so cynical...
thank you guys for answering! yeah i told my boyfriend that it was too much for me right now and he understood (but as i suspected he will pay the difference). Yea I also find it awkward to ask for money from you guests but hey It's not my wedding so...

DGT

Dec 5, 2012
Toronto, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-10-12
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
13-11-12
File Transfer...
14-11-12
Med's Request
11-03-13
Med's Done....
23-04-13
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-06-13
LANDED..........
29-06-13
SwedentoQuebec said:
thank you guys for answering! yeah i told my boyfriend that it was too much for me right now and he understood (but as i suspected he will pay the difference). Yea I also find it awkward to ask for money from you guests but hey It's not my wedding so...
Just make sure you drink as much booze as you can in return. :)