+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
Anyone had any news? My application was approved since January but my medical expired last week. I was unable to travel to canada due to covid restrictions. I have sent a number of emails but no reply.
What have you asked in your emails? If you can renew your medical to extend your CoPR?

Out of curiosity, what is your reason for not being able to travel (are you travelling from the UK) specifically? I only ask, as this could be us! And I'm not aware of travel restrictions for emigration purposes from the UK - other than COVID related costs, tests, quarantine etc. etc.

theafjioman

Star Member
Aug 5, 2019
What have you asked in your emails? If you can renew your medical to extend your CoPR?

Out of curiosity, what is your reason for not being able to travel (are you travelling from the UK) specifically? I only ask, as this could be us! And I'm not aware of travel restrictions for emigration purposes from the UK - other than COVID related costs, tests, quarantine etc. etc.
Full list of travel exemptions on this webpage: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

If you're not already a PR (which you wouldn't be until you were on Canadian soil if you applied outside Canada) then you aren't exempt. Other exemptions include having an immediate family member living in Canada.

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Full list of travel exemptions on this webpage: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html

If you're not already a PR (which you wouldn't be until you were on Canadian soil if you applied outside Canada) then you aren't exempt. Other exemptions include having an immediate family member living in Canada.
I think they were referring to travel restrictions in the UK. Given the section of the forum they posted in it seems likely they’re exempt from the Canadian travel restrictions based on being an immediate family member.

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020

But I'm Canadian / British and spouse is British and we are applying outland.

I am assuming most people would meet the immediate family member requirement, as this is the family sponsorship forum.

I can't see anything that says I need to be living there first as the Canadian, before my spouse can activate his PR, once CoPR is issued? At most, I might have to enter in advance or we could arrive together. Otherwise, what is the point of applying both outland?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

I am assuming most people would meet the immediate family member requirement, as this is the family sponsorship forum.

I can't see anything that says I need to be living there first as the Canadian, before my spouse can activate his PR, once CoPR is issued? At most, I might have to enter in advance or we could arrive together. Otherwise, what is the point of applying both outland?
You can enter separately or together, you'll just need to show Canadian immediate family member.

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
I think they were referring to travel restrictions in the UK. Given the section of the forum they posted in it seems likely they’re exempt from the Canadian travel restrictions based on being an immediate family member.
Yes, but actually the link isn't clear, actually, as it says 'reuniting'. At the moment, we aren't separated - we're both in the UK, but it does seem to imply, that due to covid, I will have to go first, rather than landing together.

I am now more confused than ever!

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Even with COVID? The reuniting thing I hadn't noticed before, which rather implies we are apart!
I don’t think the reuniting thing applies here; in the who can travel to Canada section it says foreign nationals who are an immediate family member of a Canadian citizen are eligible, the only other applicable caveat is that they’re staying for 15 days or more.

theafjioman

Star Member
Aug 5, 2019

Apologies, I didn't realise I was in the Family Sponsorship forum. I thought I was in the CEC forum for some reason. Just going from the link I sent, it looks like you might be right. You may need to fly out to Canada first and then your spouse can fly out to reunite with you.

Reactions: LotusLeodis

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Apologies, I didn't realise I was in the Family Sponsorship forum. I thought I was in the CEC forum for some reason. Just going from the link I sent, it looks like you might be right. You may need to fly out to Canada first and then your spouse can fly out to reunite with you.
Not so. They can fly together. Or indeed separately in almost any combination, not even required formally for Canadian to fly first. The key is the exemption, spouse à Canadian citizen.

Reactions: theafjioman

LotusLeodis

Jul 23, 2020
Not so. They can fly together. Or indeed separately in almost any combination, not even required formally for Canadian to fly first. The key is the exemption, spouse à Canadian citizen.
So in theory my UK spouse could do a soft landing on his own, before me, with me still in the UK to wind things down, as long as he stayed for 15 days and followed quarantine rules, as they might apply when he gets CoPR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So in theory my UK spouse could do a soft landing on his own, before me, with me still in the UK to wind things down, as long as he stayed for 15 days and followed quarantine rules, as they might apply when he gets CoPR?
As I understand it, yes. But I'm not 100% certain; the intention obviously is to join a Canadian citizen / resident who are actually resident. But I don't think they are attempting to fully check physical presence of the Canadian (incl PR) partner, nor fussed about the timing like in your hypothetical test. They just want to confirm you meet the exemption test - that is, spouse who is Canadian citizen or PR - address and isolation plan, etc. I've certianly not heard anyone claim there was an issue nor even asked about this. And I doubt they'd turn away someone who said their spouse was unavoidably detained but coming in a week. No guarantees, however.

Note key point though: there are two steps - getting on airline and being let in the country by CBSA. Airlines seem to want only evidence of eg marriage to a Canadian; CBSA - right to entry.

That said: it would obviously be preferable to travel together. And possible we've never heard of this because nobody's tried, and also, CBSA can change their mind about stuff.

Reactions: LotusLeodis

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Finally DM on ECAS today.

App Received: 11th Feb 2020
Sponsor Approval: 26th Feb 2020
Medical & Biometrics completed: 9th March 2020
Medical Passed: 12th March 2020
File Transfer to LVO: 21st January 2021
AOR 2: 22nd April 2021
ADR Requests: 11th June ‘21 & 26th July ‘21
Pre Arrival: 25th September 2021