+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

married2brit

Sep 21, 2010
hi all! just got our passport request this morning, application filed aug 3, in process in london sept 22, now passport request! such a relief and so exciting! we'll be mailing it from canada, any idea how long we can expect this to take?

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
married2brit said:
hi all! just got our passport request this morning, application filed aug 3, in process in london sept 22, now passport request! such a relief and so exciting! we'll be mailing it from canada, any idea how long we can expect this to take?
Personally, I wouldn't post it directly, I'd put it in on a courier. Last time my husband sent me something from Canada it took 7 weeks to arrive, for no apparant reason.

I sent my Visa application to Mississauga via Fedex and was able to get it there by noon the next day if I sent it before 1pm. Very impressive service I thought and not half as expensive as I thought it would be and at least I could track it and know where it was at all times.

Or you can Purolator it in an envelope and it gets there in two days. I would just suggest you use a courier service and not the post.

Can I also just ask, is the address for the applicant a Canadian address although you applied outland and did you have any problems with that? I'm assuming you're going to get the passport mailed directly back to you as well? I only ask, beause I'm thinking about going out to Canada to be with my husband after Christmas and will probably have to do this to if my PR doesn't come before then.

mmhughes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
File Transfer...
17-11-2010
Med's Done....
23-08-2010
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
MandiF said:
Personally, I wouldn't post it directly, I'd put it in on a courier. Last time my husband sent me something from Canada it took 7 weeks to arrive, for no apparant reason.

I sent my Visa application to Mississauga via Fedex and was able to get it there by noon the next day if I sent it before 1pm. Very impressive service I thought and not half as expensive as I thought it would be and at least I could track it and know where it was at all times.

Or you can Purolator it in an envelope and it gets there in two days. I would just suggest you use a courier service and not the post.

Can I also just ask, is the address for the applicant a Canadian address although you applied outland and did you have any problems with that? I'm assuming you're going to get the passport mailed directly back to you as well? I only ask, beause I'm thinking about going out to Canada to be with my husband after Christmas and will probably have to do this to if my PR doesn't come before then.
Excellent question. I asked the same one and I was told that my husband could send his passport to the London office where they would stamp it. Then it would be sent to his address in the UK. And one of our family members would post it to us in Canada. Then we'd have to "flagpole" in and out of the US so that we can re-enter Canada and get it stamped. Apparently if you just explain this to the border guard they understand the word flagpole and I guess just show them the paperwork and all should be good. However, my hubby is a bit uncomfortable being in Canada without his passport for an undetermined amount of time. And we are a bit confused on whether or not we must inform CIC about this to seek permission to do this. So I too would love to obtain an answer to this question :) Thanks so much in advance!

Silver_Spirit

Nov 25, 2008
Peterborough, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2010
Doc's Request.
27-03-2010
File Transfer...
16-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Passport Req..
02-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2010
LANDED..........
17-07-2010
Hey guys just thought i'd drop by to mention when i got my PPR i was in canada, i fed-exed my passport off to my mum, with an envelope already inside the one i sent, then she sent it on to the london office (so it had a UK postmark on it), it took two weeks there, then got sent back to my mums address (my mum lived at the address i'd given for my UK address tho) then she sent it signed for back to me :) Overall took about 3 week incl postage both ways.

I'd like to point out tho, i contacted CIC both canada and england side numerous times to try to change my address to one in canada, but everytime they said it was sorted, but when i called to make sure, nothing had changed. So i figured screw them i'll do it this way then.

I'm still rather impressed the letter i got about my PR card came to the right address -.-;

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Big yay for London. My sponsorship was approved on 7th Oct and London began processing on 22nd. Thank you, thank you, thank you London...getting the passport request by Christmas would be amazing!

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
Congrats on your approval, good luck for PPR prior to Christmas....

;D

mmhughes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
File Transfer...
17-11-2010
Med's Done....
23-08-2010
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
Silver_Spirit said:
Hey guys just thought i'd drop by to mention when i got my PPR i was in canada, i fed-exed my passport off to my mum, with an envelope already inside the one i sent, then she sent it on to the london office (so it had a UK postmark on it), it took two weeks there, then got sent back to my mums address (my mum lived at the address i'd given for my UK address tho) then she sent it signed for back to me :) Overall took about 3 week incl postage both ways.

I'd like to point out tho, i contacted CIC both canada and england side numerous times to try to change my address to one in canada, but everytime they said it was sorted, but when i called to make sure, nothing had changed. So i figured screw them i'll do it this way then.

I'm still rather impressed the letter i got about my PR card came to the right address -.-;
Thanks! Quite sneaky - but in a good way! ;)

mmhughes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
File Transfer...
17-11-2010
Med's Done....
23-08-2010
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
Silver_Spirit said:

Sorry Silver_Spirit, another question just popped into my head after I responded earlier. What did you do once you obtained your passport in Canada? I'm guessing that you went into the US and out again (flagpoling). Did you have to obtain any special permission to do this from CIC? Thanks so much in advance.

Silver_Spirit

Nov 25, 2008
Peterborough, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2010
Doc's Request.
27-03-2010
File Transfer...
16-03-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Passport Req..
02-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-06-2010
LANDED..........
17-07-2010
Yup i just flagpoled at the alberta border, all you need is your CIC documents, goods to follow list n passport, if you check my older posts i posted a full account of it back in july :)

torontogirl33

Oct 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 15, 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 18, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Oct 6, 2010
Here's our timeline and details - hope they help...

We applied as common-law on July 14 and the CIC Mississauga office received the application next day on July 15. We sent the app by Canada Post local express courier as we were sending from Mississauga also. Our application fit into the 9x13 envelope and was probably about a kilo or two. We got the letter of sponsorship approval on Aug 20 and it was dated Aug 18. The London office updated e-cas to show that our application for my partner's PR began on Sept 7. On Oct 6 he got an email request for his passport, though e-cas didn't show 'Decision Made' until a week or so later (so it's best to check your email like a fanatic - not your e-cas LOL). We sent his passport from Mississauga on Oct 7 as he came to Canada on a visitor visa on Sept 30 as i was having complications with my pregnancy. We sent his passport by registered mail along with the self -addressed envelope to our place in Canada. You can't track it after it leaves Canada but we figured it was safe enough. We included a letter saying that his address was now in Canada and they sent it back by courier and it came on October 27!! We didn't expect it so fast. We are so thrilled. We plan on flagpoling next Tuesday. We also thought of sending it first to his parents and having the London office send to them and then they could send it back to us but we figured it was legit to write why he was in Canada and thought it would be faster in the long run.

As for our actual application here are the details. We were together for 3.5 yrs and lived together for 2 of those in England. I was the sponsor and my boyfriend the principle applicant. For evidence we sent: joint and individual bank statements for all the time lived together; rental agreements; an envelope of about 35-40 photos of a mix of vacations and family events; 11-12 pges of screenshots (6 per page) of all emails we sent and a random email prinoutout every 3-4 months or so - some lovey dovey stuff, some routine what to make for dinner stuff and occasional big event planning like Christmas/holidays; e-tickets and passport stamps for all trips and travel together (we backpacked together in Asia for the first 5 months of our relationship and also the 7 months preceeding our application, plus some holidays when living and working in the UK); about 7-8 letters from friends and family which were NOT notarized (i thought this was too expensive after paying for the medicals, app fees etc.); and another envelope of cards etc. to each other and from family. Just to note that we DID NOT get back anything from our original application even though we asked for photos and cards to be returned. I'm not terribly sentimental but you never know when you might need those things again - not like i am planning on applying for anything else anytime soon!!!

Anyway congrats to everyone who has their PR already and good luck to those of you who are waiting.

motul2000

Oct 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Oct-2010
File Transfer...
04-Nov-2010
Passport Req..
27-01-2011
torontogirl33 said:

We applied as common-law on July 14 and the CIC Mississauga office received the application next day on July 15. We sent the app by Canada Post local express courier as we were sending from Mississauga also. Our application fit into the 9x13 envelope and was probably about a kilo or two. We got the letter of sponsorship approval on Aug 20 and it was dated Aug 18. The London office updated e-cas to show that our application for my partner's PR began on Sept 7. On Oct 6 he got an email request for his passport, though e-cas didn't show 'Decision Made' until a week or so later (so it's best to check your email like a fanatic - not your e-cas LOL). We sent his passport from Mississauga on Oct 7 as he came to Canada on a visitor visa on Sept 30 as i was having complications with my pregnancy. We sent his passport by registered mail along with the self -addressed envelope to our place in Canada. You can't track it after it leaves Canada but we figured it was safe enough. We included a letter saying that his address was now in Canada and they sent it back by courier and it came on October 27!! We didn't expect it so fast. We are so thrilled. We plan on flagpoling next Tuesday. We also thought of sending it first to his parents and having the London office send to them and then they could send it back to us but we figured it was legit to write why he was in Canada and thought it would be faster in the long run.

As for our actual application here are the details. We were together for 3.5 yrs and lived together for 2 of those in England. I was the sponsor and my boyfriend the principle applicant. For evidence we sent: joint and individual bank statements for all the time lived together; rental agreements; an envelope of about 35-40 photos of a mix of vacations and family events; 11-12 pges of screenshots (6 per page) of all emails we sent and a random email prinoutout every 3-4 months or so - some lovey dovey stuff, some routine what to make for dinner stuff and occasional big event planning like Christmas/holidays; e-tickets and passport stamps for all trips and travel together (we backpacked together in Asia for the first 5 months of our relationship and also the 7 months preceeding our application, plus some holidays when living and working in the UK); about 7-8 letters from friends and family which were NOT notarized (i thought this was too expensive after paying for the medicals, app fees etc.); and another envelope of cards etc. to each other and from family. Just to note that we DID NOT get back anything from our original application even though we asked for photos and cards to be returned. I'm not terribly sentimental but you never know when you might need those things again - not like i am planning on applying for anything else anytime soon!!!

Anyway congrats to everyone who has their PR already and good luck to those of you who are waiting.
Thank you very much to share your timeline....
I mailed my applicatiion on 5 Oct 2010 and received by Mississauga on 6 Oct 2010,
still waiting the sponsorship's approval.......................a long road to go~~

dishy_max

Star Member
Oct 28, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
AOR Received.
16-02-2011
File Transfer...
16-02-2011
Passport Req..
05-04-2011
LANDED..........
17-07-2011
torontogirl33 said:

Hey Toronto - just wondering if I could go through with you what we're sending off seeing as you guys seemed to have such a quick process? And I'd love any feedback you could give us.

We're also doing common law and I think (hope) we'll be alright as we seem to have everything we need. Our immigration lawyers have given us some worst case scenarios and a lot of feedback on how everything should be "packaged".

Let me know if you're cool with that.

Dishy

zissou

Jul 1, 2009
Hey. A quick question for you guys. I'm about to fire of my application with my common-law partner sponsoring me. I just need to do the medical exam and on App C. its asking for which Visa office will be processing my file. Should I put Mississauga or London? As i figured they will be both handling my file. Thanks!

MandiF

Sep 7, 2010
Alberta Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-10-2010
File Transfer...
19-11-2010
Med's Done....
02-09-2010
Passport Req..
05-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-02-2011
LANDED..........
25-02-2011
zissou said:
Hey. A quick question for you guys. I'm about to fire of my application with my common-law partner sponsoring me. I just need to do the medical exam and on App C. its asking for which Visa office will be processing my file. Should I put Mississauga or London? As i figured they will be both handling my file. Thanks!
I was also confused about that, but the answer is London, as YOUR application is going through London, its the sponsorship that's going through Mississauga. When i got my medical done, the doctor answered this question for me, as she said all medicals they did was for the London Visa office, which then made sense to me.