Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
iacrossnation said:
1. Section A, should we choose Access to Information Act or Privacy Act?
If you are requesting information about yourself and you are inside Canada, this is a "Privacy Act" request (no fee).
If you are requesting information about someone else - with their permission - and you are inside Canada, this is an "Access to Information" request ($5 fee).
If you are not inside Canada, you cannot request the information.

iacrossnation said:
2. Section B, the person should be the sponsored not sponsor, right?
Either party can request their own information, but the sponsor won't have a medical on file, so I'm assuming you are asking for the applicant's information.

iacrossnation said:
3. Section B, should we choose Electronic files or Physical files? I think we have to choose Physical Files as it's Immigration files overseas, is this right?
You just want electronic case notes. They have all the "status" information. NEVER ask for a physical copy of the file for an in-process application unless there is some reason you want to push the processing of the application out. To handle a physical request, they must pull your file, scan it and send a copy to the ATIP office. They don't put it back in the pile where they found it, they put it at the back of the queue.

Requesting medicals should give you a copy of everything in the IMS computer other than the x-ray film. If you want a copy of the x-ray film, you have to ask for that separately. That shouldn't slow down your application.

iacrossnation said:
4. Section C, the requester must be in Canada? So it has to be sponsor and we have to submit the consent form?
If the applicant is not inside Canada (this isn't a foregone conclusion!) then the sponsor may request the information and you must submit the consent form plus the $5 fee.

Good luck!

iacrossnation

Star Member
Mar 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan. 18, 2012
AOR Received.
Apr. 4, 2012
File Transfer...
Apr. 4, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec. 10, 2011
computergeek said:
If you are requesting information about yourself and you are inside Canada, this is a "Privacy Act" request (no fee).
If you are requesting information about someone else - with their permission - and you are inside Canada, this is an "Access to Information" request ($5 fee).
If you are not inside Canada, you cannot request the information.

Either party can request their own information, but the sponsor won't have a medical on file, so I'm assuming you are asking for the applicant's information.

You just want electronic case notes. They have all the "status" information. NEVER ask for a physical copy of the file for an in-process application unless there is some reason you want to push the processing of the application out. To handle a physical request, they must pull your file, scan it and send a copy to the ATIP office. They don't put it back in the pile where they found it, they put it at the back of the queue.

Requesting medicals should give you a copy of everything in the IMS computer other than the x-ray film. If you want a copy of the x-ray film, you have to ask for that separately. That shouldn't slow down your application.

If the applicant is not inside Canada (this isn't a foregone conclusion!) then the sponsor may request the information and you must submit the consent form plus the $5 fee.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for your detailed information. Yes, I am in Canada and husband lives in the US right now. So we will do
1. "Access to Information" request ($5 fee)
2. Electronic case notes for applicant information. I don't need my sponsorship information at all.

By the way, how long it takes to get the electronic notes back? I am think submit by email with attachment. I read your previous posting, it costs around 1 month?

Thanks again.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
iacrossnation said:
By the way, how long it takes to get the electronic notes back? I am think submit by email with attachment. I read your previous posting, it costs around 1 month?
I've requested CAIPS and GCMS notes multiple times in the past. My experience is that you get the response back approximately 30 days after you send in the request (generally, if the 30th day falls on a weekend or holiday you'll get it near the end of the business day just before the holiday.) The notes you receive will have been pulled a day or two after you submitted your ATIP request. Thus, the notes are usually about 4 weeks old.

I suspect - but do not know - that this is because they don't want you seeing things in your ATIP response that you have not heard from the visa office directly and the law allows them 30 days to respond to your request.

When I ordered my physical file (on a rejected application so I knew it wouldn't impact processing time), it actually took almost 90 days, but they sent me a message after 30 days advising me of the delay in processing my request.

Kiri

Jan 31, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012 App. Return....: 30-8-2012 App. Refiled....: 02-01-2013
Doc's Request.
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
23-01-2013 Mississauga 10-05-2013 Ottawa
File Transfer...
19-02-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2013 (New XRay)
Med's Done....
11-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Decision Made 03-09-2013 without PPR
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
moochops said:
I'm sorry but do any of you have any idea what it is like to have no-one and feel trapped. I bet not.
More than you know. And I had to learn and grow up because of it. Not be bailed out because I was an idiot.

Yes, but what about how you're supposed to have enough ties to your home country to be able to go back? In this case, she doesn't, and that's why she's trapped. Regardless of the situation, is it really up to Canada to take care of her when she couldn't follow the rules? The working, abusive relationship, car mess aside. It's a requirement, a law, to have significant ties to your home country and a means to return to it until you're a resident. Are we ignoring this?

I'm sorry, but I disagree with most of you. She made her bed. I feel very bad for her, but she made this bed of lies and illegal actions... she has to lie in it and find her own way out. Enough of us are waiting on approvals and such, and have followed what we are supposed to. It's working better for us because we did not do these illegal actions. I want to be able to have kids, make money and everything... I can't. Maybe the Canadian government should help me ... oh wait, I'm doing the things I'm supposed to. Really, I have no sympathy for 'saving' this poor woman. She was foolish enough to put herself in the situation. If someone fishes her out, she learns nothing and is just as stupid as when she started and would likely make the same mistakes again expecting everyone to stop and help her situation when we have our own.

I'm not going to be cruel and say she got what she deserved. I've been in abusive relationships... no one deserves it. But I got myself out, and I learned from it. But she got herself into the mess, if she had the proper ties that she was legally supposed to have, then perhaps she could get out easily. If the government does help, they should deport her for her illegal actions and then she can reap the mess she sewed by getting rid of all ties to her country. Let her deal with it in her own country. It's harsh. But from a complete legal standpoint, she should be deported, fined or jailed.. or all three. I would feel no sympathy if any of these happened. You stole opportunity from us who are waiting patiently. Now it's time for you to face some hardship like the rest of us who didn't cheat the system.

I'm sorry, but I'm angry and I don't care if I'm seen as cold hearted... but this is a freaking joke and she's not very bright to not have a good judge of character, get in a country and do all these illegal activities to get in and once here.

She needs to learn, and the only way she will is to have to deal with it on her own. Not expect to be bailed out. Sure, a drive the border to get away from the abusive relationship. And maybe she can take some of that illegal money for a bus ticket. You'd be away from an abuser then. Problem solved. The rest of it is your own stupidity for you to solve. Good luck, but you get no sympathy from me there.

hsquared

Apr 6, 2012
Any one has any update? I m clueless as to whats going with these guys? Its been almost a year for me. I m done! If its gonna come, well and good. If its gonna take time, i m not gonna wait and keep all my tasks on hold.

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hsquared said:
Any one has any update? I m clueless as to whats going with these guys? Its been almost a year for me. I m done! If its gonna come, well and good. If its gonna take time, i m not gonna wait and keep all my tasks on hold.
I'm in the same situation, it's been a year since I filed my app. There are some other people who applied before me and who are still waiting. I think Ottawa is overloaded with apps & I don't know how long more I'll have to wait before hearing from them. To my e-mail they replied that due to high volume of apps they ask for understanding. I have to wait until they contact me with further instructions. This is frustrating not being able to live a normal life..

Amoss

Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2012
AOR Received.
10-03-2012
File Transfer...
to Buffalo 20-03-2012 -- to LA 08-05-02012
Med's Done....
20-12-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2012
My husband received his COPR this morning. Or what I am guessing it is. He showed me over skype and it big letters written across the doc it says "NOT FOR TRAVEL" ???

Any idea what that is about? All the information is there though, like his photo and what he needs to do when he lands... is it supposed to say not for travel?

Ambber29

Star Member
Jul 28, 2011
Hey guys,

Our interview was with Buffalo on June.19/2012. It was cancelled. Nothing was received after this. I contacted my MP and her assistant found out the update.

The file was transferred to Ottawa on July.27/2012. Medical is expired and they will forward the letter with new medical instructions. How long does it take for medical?

She also mentioned that background check is not done. How come? If interview was set up for June.19, it should be done long ago. Do you guys know what is going on?

Also should we get another FBI done?

Any updates for those who had their interviews in June or July?

A

achander

Amoss said:
My husband received his COPR this morning. Or what I am guessing it is. He showed me over skype and it big letters written across the doc it says "NOT FOR TRAVEL" ???

Any idea what that is about? All the information is there though, like his photo and what he needs to do when he lands... is it supposed to say not for travel?
Lol..firstly Congrats. Secondly No need to panic. I had the same thing on my COPR too. I think what it means is you cannot use COPR as a travel document (i.e Visa or PR card), You husband should also have an immigrant visa affixed in his passport, which is a one time entry visa. You need the COPR and this immigrant visa when you land. I think the reason they put NOT FOR TRAVEL is basically because you cannot substitute COPR for visas or PR Card...that's just my thoughts. But he is good to go. Congrats :D

cheers

Amoss

Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2012
AOR Received.
10-03-2012
File Transfer...
to Buffalo 20-03-2012 -- to LA 08-05-02012
Med's Done....
20-12-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2012
achander said:
Lol..firstly Congrats. Secondly No need to panic. I had the same thing on my COPR too. I think what it means is you cannot use COPR as a travel document (i.e Visa or PR card), You husband should also have an immigrant visa affixed in his passport, which is a one time entry visa. You need the COPR and this immigrant visa when you land. I think the reason they put NOT FOR TRAVEL is basically because you cannot substitute COPR for visas or PR Card...that's just my thoughts. But he is good to go. Congrats :D

cheers
thanks so much for your quick reply! He said that there was nothing special in his passport and just a letter stating that because he was American or something he didn't need a visa to get in, so they don't need to put anything his passport??

Anyway, you've made me feel better! thanks! :D

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Amoss said:
thanks so much for your quick reply! He said that there was nothing special in his passport and just a letter stating that because he was American or something he didn't need a visa to get in, so they don't need to put anything his passport??

Right - starting last December they stopped issuing visas to holders of visa-exempt passports: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob348a.asp

Rose2D2

Star Member
Aug 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-03-2012
File Transfer...
22-06-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
Amoss said:

Congratulations!!

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
Amoss said:

Congratulations! And yes, that's correct, Americans don't get anything in their passports.

iacrossnation

Star Member
Mar 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan. 18, 2012
AOR Received.
Apr. 4, 2012
File Transfer...
Apr. 4, 2012
Med's Done....
Dec. 10, 2011
Isometry said:
Congratulations! And yes, that's correct, Americans don't get anything in their passports.
But what's the point to request passport then? For ID purpose?

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
iacrossnation said:
But what's the point to request passport then? For ID purpose?
may be yes. for id purposes..they want to see they are sending copr to the correct person...