+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

TX-to-MTL

Apr 26, 2012
frozensealion said:
Hi everyone!!

If someone can give me an opinion based on experience, It will be greatly appreciated. In 02/11/12, I received a letter saying our file was sent to Buffalo, no communication has been sent after that,and as I can read from other comments this is common.My status in e-Cas is:"application received".
While reading this forum I went to a link that took me to a form to request information.what I got back in 24 hours was:

"....Your application is in process. No further action is required by you at this time.

We thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Canadian Consulate General Buffalo
Immigration Section.........." :eek:

Does this means my application is in process and the e-Cas page has not being updated?

Same here. Received letter one day before yours (Feb-10-2012) and no news since. Good to see I'm not alone!

TX-to-MTL

Apr 26, 2012
Wondering if there are US citizens out there with experience waiting for PR status as a "tourist" in Quebec and managing to get in the MICC French classes for free like a real "landed immigrant". Non-MICC subsidized French classes are REALLY expensive! Thanks.

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
I'll add my congratulations Canadapeach - well done and I hope you have a very large headache after the sparkly this morning lol.

Oh and Calgarybound ---------- Maui????? Seriously???? You can off some people you know lol. Have an amazing time celebrating the end of an arduous process - you deserve it :)

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
moochops said:
I'll add my congratulations Canadapeach - well done and I hope you have a very large headache after the sparkly this morning lol.

Oh and Calgarybound ---------- Maui????? Seriously???? You can off some people you know lol. Have an amazing time celebrating the end of an arduous process - you deserve it :)
Thanks moochops.Yup heading to Maui In May for a week we actualy went last July and loved it so thats are new vacation spot.

Well it is over we just got back home from the border and I landed.It took about 30 min to do the paperwork and was back on the road.The only thing Im nervous about Is leaveing without my Permanent Resident Card.The immigration officer said theres a chance that the airline wont let me board the plane to come back to Canada.Has anyone flown before they have recieved there card and if so was there any problems?

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
OhCanadiana said:
:)

By the say, did you see my note that they may ask to see your title or bill of sale when you land with your B4? Also, I would add it to the B4 not B4A since there's a special section for cars asking for specific details. And be sure to check goods to follow.
I actualy filled out both the B4 and B4A forms and took 2 copies of both.The officer took them wrote on them and said everything is goods to follow.Then he placed bar code stickers on them I signed them all and was done.I left my title on the counter with my paperwork but he didnt look at it but it was there just incase.

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
Ill do just as ohCanadiana said and just hand them my passport and not say anything.Was wondering if the airline can even see anything about me being a resident when they scan my passport?

OhCanadiana said:
Thanks for asking. Let me try to clarify to make sure we're on the same page.

The airline could give you grief if you tell them you are a PR and then don't have a PR card because they have no way of verifying status. So, it's best to just show your passport and not give any details on PR and COPR (unless they ask). If they do ask questions - and I've never had an airline ask that type of detail - but if they do you can explain that they will not be taking any incremental risk because even if you were not a PR and we lying to them about that then you could go in as a tourist. Bottom line - no chance they they will get fined for not checking that you can legally enter.

In contrast, immigration should be fine with it at the airport since they understand COPRs and can verify status. I have seen it done at land borders and have read of many people doing it at airports without a glitch so I wouldn't be worried (even though I haven't done it or see it done personally). The worst I've seen at land borders is them teasing you about celebrating your new status by leaving :p

I hope this is clearer ... but please keep asking until it is :)

calissons

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->SEA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Interview........
Waived
gypsy494 said:
Congrats callisons...Fed ex walked me through it....and gave me the phone to set up account...helped me fill out everything!

My landing was pretty much like Awors..up to the counter sign this..sit down...back up...sign something else..... sit back down...sent to someone else for goods to follow. They ( esp the first guy) was very nice. No one said WELCOME TO Canada...I made hubby say it.....lol ol
Went down to get sin card yesterday...easy peasy...very nice, helpful and they said WELCOME TO Canada.
I am packing and getting ready to move...to OUR bigger new place (have room to bring all my stuff)....very exciting!
Thanks Gypsy and welcome to Canada!

Since we're talking about PR card: it is automatically sent after you land or do you have to apply for it? How long does it take to arrive? (maybe they mention that in the COPR... not there yet.. (But since I just got my PPR, I am not complaining about it!)

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
calissons said:
Thanks Gypsy and welcome to Canada!

Since we're talking about PR card: it is automatically sent after you land or do you have to apply for it? How long does it take to arrive? (maybe they mention that in the COPR... not there yet.. (But since I just got my PPR, I am not complaining about it!)
They apply for it for you when you land and it can take up to 90 days to recieve it.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congratulations Ms. Permanant Resident Calgary-Bound :D :D :D

Calgary-Bound said:
They apply for it for you when you land and it can take up to 90 days to recieve it.
You can see how long it's taking at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.aspy
It's currently at 38 business days (they expedite them for new PRs)

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
OhCanadiana said:
Congratulations Ms. Permanant Resident Calgary-Bound :D :D :D

You can see how long it's taking at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.aspy
It's currently at 38 business days (they expedite them for new PRs)
I prefer Mr....lol.Yeah I leave in 18 days sooooo I guess Ill chance it.Ill have my Alberta drivers and SIN # before I leave so hopefully immigration doesnt say anything to me when I return.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgary-Bound said:
I prefer Mr....lol.Yeah I leave in 18 days sooooo I guess Ill chance it.Ill have my Alberta drivers and SIN # before I leave so hopefully immigration doesnt say anything to me when I return.
Rats ... 50/50 went the wrong way :p. the congrats was the important part, anyway ;D

Get to the airport early, try to not create questions, and be confident if they do ask questions - you have the backup that you could go in as a tourist so you should be able to convince the airline.

Glad it went so smoothly today :). Now, go celebrate!

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
OhCanadiana said:
Rats ... 50/50 went the wrong way :p. the congrats was the important part, anyway ;D

Get to the airport early, try to not create questions, and be confident if they do ask questions - you have the backup that you could go in as a tourist so you should be able to convince the airline.

Glad it went so smoothly today :). Now, go celebrate!
LOL yup 50/50 so you where close.Im not to worried about the airline Im traveling with my wife,2kids,and her mom is going.Im more worried about the officer at the airport when we return giveing me a hard time for not haveing the card and leaveing.

cgagnon

Nov 10, 2011
Montreal,QC
Category........
Visa Office......
LA(Buffalo)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/10/2012
Timemachine said:
COPR came in the mail today!! We're gonna make the flight afterall!! Sooooooo glad this is all over!
Oh that was sooo close for you i am glad you will make the flight and that you have one less stressor! Good luck with the landing!

Lasiar

Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-09-2011
Doc's Request.
02-22-2012
AOR Received.
12-09-2011
File Transfer...
11-15-2011
Med's Request
medical extension 07-06-12 request sent by VO
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 16-08-12
Congrats! to everyone getting their PPR, COPR & smooth landings. :) let us hope for more of it to follow real soon for the rest of us waiting patiently (or not patiently) lol... Its great to read all the happy news... ;D

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgary-Bound said:
Im more worried about the officer at the airport when we return giveing me a hard time for not haveing the card and leaveing.
The officer could give you a "hard time" as in teasing you or in sending you to secondary to confirm your status if s/he can't because of long lines or something. They really have no reason to give you a hard time as in hey Mr. you can't come in because you are, after all, Mr. Canadian Permanent Resident now and as such have a right to live in and enter Canada (well, unless you've committed some major crime that would justify them stripping you of your status or unless they can prove you can't meet the min 2 years out of 5 in Canada). Landing gave you obligations and entitlements - cool, huh?

In other words, once you get yourself, your passport, and COPR to the border they have no reason not to let you in :D.