28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
My PPR-COPR-PR story!

I know reading these accounts has truly helped me on this forum (to be honest, an immigration lawyer at the beginning of this process AND being pretty savvy with government-ese were useless without the practical experiences of you here guiding me through this). Because of this, I want to now share my own time wading through the process from Passport Request to Confirmation of Permanent Residency to Permanent Resident, all in less than a week!

Background dates on the left... Story begins the day of my PPR...

It was a Monday, and I knew the Buffalo office was open only on Tuesdays and Thursdays. We contemplated mailing in the PPR, copy of passport pages, and photos (once I knew I went In Process, I'd gotten PR photos as London Drugs to be prepared to immediately submit my PPR package), but Buffalo never changed my address in their system despite multiple attempts. I checked flights from Western Washington state (my then home), and even from YVR in Vancouver BC (my new home). There were some that would work for me to get there Wednesday! I immediately called my US boss and explained what happened, and that I wanted to take the week off to take care of my COPR and landing. The only thing standing in my way was an enormous snowstorm system that was hammering the west coast. Everything was in our favour. We couldn't fail, eh?

After some nail-biting travel (3 planes, 3000 miles, no food all day, and running on empty through Vegas and Charlotte airports), I arrived late Wednesday night in Buffalo!!!

*Please be open tomorrow, CIC, and let me have prepared the correct documents!*

I arrived incredibly early at the HSBC building -- 6:30. No one was there, and Tim Horton's did not have any sweets. I needed coffe, calming down, and food!

I went up to the main floor where a security officer said to go to the Tim Horton's area, and someone would be down at 7:30 to bring us up in groups. I did just that, read, and saw not a soul else with any papers until just before 7:30. The plaza area filled to capacity. I was happy to have gotten a seat, orange juice, and a bagel.You cannot take food or drink with you, nor can you bring a bag bigger than a purse. You also are discouraged from bringing small kids.

At 7:30, an officer (different one), appeared by the elevator and asked for anyone that was visiting the Consulate to line up single file in front of him. A few people jumped ahead of me. I didn't care. We were all going to the same place!

We were taken up one flight on the escalator to the main floor where we queued up at the security table to be given a sticker pass for our chest. They instructed us down to where we threw the backing of the sticker! Very regulated! I was #5. We then were directed to the elevators, where we were to press the Canadian flag (30), and turn off all cell phones.

We arrived in the office with two bullet-proof glass windows and a podium at these velvet ropes. I got a ticket for my mobile phone, and sat down. We were called up by numbers to turn in our paperwork, then waited for our next task. I only had to go up and get my COPR after 2.5 hours. I was the first COPR issued of the group. There were 2 ahead of me who were seeking COPR, and multiple other types of visas, applications, and interviews happening for the 72 people I counted before I left.

They do have bathrooms there.

Onto landing!

I flew home protecting my prize like a hawk.

The weather was too bad for my wife and I to meet at the Pacific Highway Crossing on Friday, Jan 20. We planned to go the next day for safety.

I had already prepared my goods and goods to follow lists so as to be prepared. I signed NOTHING before going to the border. Not the COPR, not the B4s. They instructed me about the COPR, but I read about the importing forms somewhere. Also, you really have to put the VIN number on the forms for your car. They asked that at landing. I had, thankfully.

My wife and I were in succession at the border. I did not use the Nexus lane as I was not any longer the same status as that card showed (you have to update address and status if you change anything). I told the border agent why I was there, flashed my COPR in its folder (it was wet and cold and windy, and I was afraid it would blow away), and he asked about my goods to follow. He waived me in with my yellow tracking slip.

We entered the customs office to find no one there. Sparse at 12 pm on a Saturday! I was called up to the counter, notified the officer of my reason there (to land), and handed him my passport, COPR, and importation docs. He redid the goods accompanying me list by hand.

My COPR did not have an address listed for me, and he added that to my file as well. It actually took us a lot longer than the 15 minutes I've read. Our officer seemed a bit spent from dealing with some unruly folks before us, and there was some sort of camera crew moving around in and out of the border office.

After 45 minutes in the centre, he called us up and gave me my COPR-stapled passport, some sheets re maintaining my PR status, and settlement resources. Also, I got a Canada flag pin!

BUT

he forgot the most important part! He did not welcome me to Canada! Haha. My wife did that, gave me a huge hug right there, and we left smiling and taking pictures.

Tomorrow, I will go get my SIN# (card will come 10 business days later) in BC in person, and my wife will figure out how she applies for my MSP (she is already on MSP and can provide coverage through her own employer to pay my premiums).

That's it!

I'm in Canada, eh?

mcmasters

Star Member
Oct 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Request
11-07-2011
Med's Done....
August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 11 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 27 2011
AmericaninQuebec said:
How did you export on the same day? Do they not have a 3-day wait time rule? I haven't exported my vehicle yet, because the U.S. crossing near me says I have to bring them my original title (can't fax it) 72 hrs before I want to export my car. Are you saying it's not the same everywhere?
I physically exported the car and landed on the same day. But I did email the U.S. Customs office at Queenston about a week before I brought the car & scooter to the bridge. I did need to give 72 hours between emailing them and bringing the vehicles in person.

When I brought them in person, I got a stamp on each title that said the vehicle had been exported and the date. I could take them immediately to the Canadian side.

BTW Canadian immigration didn't even ask what I was bringing with me when I landed. My hubs drove the moving truck and I drove the car full of stuff. In the office they took my passport, made up my paperwork, and sent me on my way. They didn't even look in the truck. So it won't matter that I exported my vehicles until I go to register them in Ontario.

Yeah getting the original title can be a PITA. My hold-up was getting a permission letter from my bank because I'm still paying the loan for my scooter. I would've landed a week earlier if I hadn't had to wait for that letter because U.S. Customs wouldn't take a fax of it.

ddobro: thanks! It's so incredibly nice to be moved in. I've had all my stuff unpacked for a few weeks now. Normal life is starting! :)

bubba

Jan 12, 2012
Everyone is different (especially border guards), but in my experience, I don't see how you could get in trouble for this. I've been in Canada for more than a year and am even a taxable resident because I've spent all but 10 days of that time in Canada. The first time I crossed I brought in 4 suitcases and a somewhat expensive bicycle. I didn't know what I was doing so I even filled out the forms for bringing this stuff in as a resident (b4a or whatever it's called) and an effects to follow document. The immigration officer at the airport didn't care at all, probably because the total value didn't pass $3,000 or so and none of it was brand new. I've never been hassled during my land crossing as far as my intentions, but they have taken their sweet time to wrap their heads around my situation with all their indirect questions. It may help that I have a year-long tourist visa. Technically she's just visiting the country so why not?

cantor2537 said:
So my wife and I are debating whether she should just move up here now.

As you may or may not know, we applied in August 2011, just got notification that we need to pay the RPRF (which I had conveniently forgotten to pay).

When she crosses the border, if she brings two huge suitcases and if I cross with her, will the customs officer be suspicious that she is just moving here before her PR is granted? Will that cause a problem? I have no idea how much longer this process will take (i'm guessing another month at least before PPR and another 2-3 weeks after that), but I'm anxious for her to come up. This is the main concern as she is always hassled by the border guards everytime she comes up about her intentions to stay.

Any thoughts?

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
eeeeeeeelectric said:
After 45 minutes in the centre, he called us up and gave me my COPR-stapled passport, some sheets re maintaining my PR status, and settlement resources. Also, I got a Canada flag pin!

BUT

he forgot the most important part! He did not welcome me to Canada! Haha. My wife did that, gave me a huge hug right there, and we left smiling and taking pictures.

Tomorrow, I will go get my SIN# (card will come 10 business days later) in BC in person, and my wife will figure out how she applies for my MSP (she is already on MSP and can provide coverage through her own employer to pay my premiums).

That's it!

I'm in Canada, eh?
Congrats on landing! I didn't get any resources or a pin when I landed, but I did get a "Bienvenue au Canada" and a handshake. :)

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
mcmasters said:
I physically exported the car and landed on the same day. But I did email the U.S. Customs office at Queenston about a week before I brought the car & scooter to the bridge. I did need to give 72 hours between emailing them and bringing the vehicles in person.

When I brought them in person, I got a stamp on each title that said the vehicle had been exported and the date. I could take them immediately to the Canadian side.

BTW Canadian immigration didn't even ask what I was bringing with me when I landed. My hubs drove the moving truck and I drove the car full of stuff. In the office they took my passport, made up my paperwork, and sent me on my way. They didn't even look in the truck. So it won't matter that I exported my vehicles until I go to register them in Ontario.

Yeah getting the original title can be a PITA. My hold-up was getting a permission letter from my bank because I'm still paying the loan for my scooter. I would've landed a week earlier if I hadn't had to wait for that letter because U.S. Customs wouldn't take a fax of it.

ddobro: thanks! It's so incredibly nice to be moved in. I've had all my stuff unpacked for a few weeks now. Normal life is starting! :)
Thanks for the info! I have my title, since my car was a cheap-o we bought off a private seller back in 2010 when I was coming to stay with my husband. I'd been living in big cities up until then and didn't need one. Hehe.

I need to look into getting that recall letter (i.e. the letter that says my car was never recalled) from the Chevy dealership around here. I think once I have that I'll do the import/export routine, since I only have 45 days to register in QC once I import, and I don't know how much hassle getting the recall letter will be.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
AmericaninQuebec said:
Thanks for the info! I have my title, since my car was a cheap-o we bought off a private seller back in 2010 when I was coming to stay with my husband. I'd been living in big cities up until then and didn't need one. Hehe.

I need to look into getting that recall letter (i.e. the letter that says my car was never recalled) from the Chevy dealership around here. I think once I have that I'll do the import/export routine, since I only have 45 days to register in QC once I import, and I don't know how much hassle getting the recall letter will be.
I found that mine Canadian dealer wanted me to pay for any recall work which was free in the US. So I just drove down to B'lo and had the work done at the dealership there. The dealer was also able to set up the recall clearance letter request for me after the work was done.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
I got a smile, and a "You're all set!", but that was about it.

On the other hand, when my wife and I went to the local CIC office to ask some questions about a year or so ago, I did get a pamphlet with the lyrics to O Canada in both English and French, and that had a small Canadian flag pin on it. :)

I also thought it was pretty cool that she can sing O Canada in both languages, too. (although her French is quite rusty)
AmericaninQuebec said:
Congrats on landing! I didn't get any resources or a pin when I landed, but I did get a "Bienvenue au Canada" and a handshake. :)

Ichiro

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2010
File Transfer...
12/02/2011
Interview........
28/09/2011
VISA ISSUED...
20/01/2012
LANDED..........
06/02/2012
eeeeeeeelectric said:
My PPR-COPR-PR story!
Thanks for a great story

Ichiro

Star Member
Oct 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2010
File Transfer...
12/02/2011
Interview........
28/09/2011
VISA ISSUED...
20/01/2012
LANDED..........
06/02/2012
canuckofchicago said:
Hey everyone,

I just had a quick question. I paid our RPRF (Nov 8th) online via Mastercard after it was requested on October 6th. I then sent/mailed a copy of the receipt to both Mississauga and Buffalo via expresspost and both offices received it on November 12th. Now not being familiar with the process a couple of weeks later I sent an email to Buffalo with a copy of the receipt and they said it would be added to the file (November 22nd) and now it is almost two months later and nothing has been received. I did call CIC on the 9th and they even confirmed it was posted on their system. Now the question, since this coming week will be two months since my email to Buffalo does anyone know how much longer we have to wait for a PPR email or snail mail?

I am asking because my wife is getting antsy and I am getting antsy.

Thanks
It's tough waiting, just sit tight. Buffalo's been slow for the past month, but they have been picking things up lately. For my partner's application we paid the RFPR on Oct 8th and the PPR email finally came in last Friday (about 3.5 months)

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
AllisonVSC said:
I found that mine Canadian dealer wanted me to pay for any recall work which was free in the US. So I just drove down to B'lo and had the work done at the dealership there. The dealer was also able to set up the recall clearance letter request for me after the work was done.
What kind of work? Everything I've read says you just need a letter from the dealership detailing if there has ever been a recall on your vehicle type, and if not then you're all set. It didn't even sound like it required an inspection of any sort. I remember seeing only cars that have had recalls need any sort of actual work done, because then you need to show further proof that the defaults had been corrected.

Thanks for the tip that the Canadian dealership may want payment for the letter. I think I'll have my husband call (partly because he's francophone and will be able to explain better and also because I find car dealers always seem to respect men more, sadly enough), but if they still want money for it then I'll either go down to VT or ask my folks to get me a letter from the local Chevy dealer near them.

ben_449

Jan 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2011
AOR Received.
17-01-2012
File Transfer...
01-11-2011
Med's Done....
01-08-2011
Passport Req..
fingers X'ed
Just recieved my sponsorship approval and file sent to buffalo on Jan11,2012

Yay 8)

JAYJAY2

Star Member
Jul 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-18-2011
File Transfer...
28-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
Got an update on the website saying that

Permanent Residence

We received *** **** application for permanent residence on August 19, 2011.

We started processing *** **** application on January 12, 2012.

how long does it take them to approve it? haven't heard anything back yet so far

ben_449

Jan 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2011
AOR Received.
17-01-2012
File Transfer...
01-11-2011
Med's Done....
01-08-2011
Passport Req..
fingers X'ed
you are in the same timeline as me, I dont know yet but i think it takes like 2 to 3 weeks for Bufallo to start processing.

JAYJAY2 said:
Got an update on the website saying that

Permanent Residence

We received *** **** application for permanent residence on August 19, 2011.

We started processing *** **** application on January 12, 2012.

how long does it take them to approve it? haven't heard anything back yet so far

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
E-cas was pretty quick this time! I got a tracker update that my status was updated to "Decision Made". Not shabby at all!

At Service Canada, getting my SIN# today!

Best to all waiting.