11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
AmericaninQuebec said:
What kind of work? Everything I've read says you just need a letter from the dealership detailing if there has ever been a recall on your vehicle type, and if not then you're all set. It didn't even sound like it required an inspection of any sort. I remember seeing only cars that have had recalls need any sort of actual work done, because then you need to show further proof that the defaults had been corrected.

Thanks for the tip that the Canadian dealership may want payment for the letter. I think I'll have my husband call (partly because he's francophone and will be able to explain better and also because I find car dealers always seem to respect men more, sadly enough), but if they still want money for it then I'll either go down to VT or ask my folks to get me a letter from the local Chevy dealer near them.
You're right AIQ, only cars that have had recalls need work done, but in my experience the manufacturer only contacts the car owners for recalls for safety issues. There might be (and for me there were) minor recalls that I had to attend to before I could get the clearance letter. It was something to do with the computer system and they just hooked it up to another computer and synced the software. It took 10 minutes, but I couldn't get a clearance letter without it.

As far as the cost, that is for recall work not the letter. The local dealer had no access to the recall clearance info for my car. They told me I needed to call the manufacturer's US corporate office. I did and told them I needed the letter, they ran my VIN and told me what work I needed. Then I headed to the US to get the work done.

mumbles

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
AmericaninQuebec said:
Thanks for the info! I have my title, since my car was a cheap-o we bought off a private seller back in 2010 when I was coming to stay with my husband. I'd been living in big cities up until then and didn't need one. Hehe.

I need to look into getting that recall letter (i.e. the letter that says my car was never recalled) from the Chevy dealership around here. I think once I have that I'll do the import/export routine, since I only have 45 days to register in QC once I import, and I don't know how much hassle getting the recall letter will be.
It is true that the Canadian side does not care if you export the vehicle through us customs...and you can still register it without doing the export part...HOWEVER!!!...if you ever cross the border with that vehicle and it has not been exported properly they can FINE you $5000!!! so be careful!

mumbles

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
Hi Guys....I have a question....My husband (us citizen) is planning on coming to canada on a visitor visa...I know he will have to have the letter of sponsorship approval and have the receipt of payment to cic...but...my question is...I will have to change my address in order for him to come here early as he has a dog and i can't have pets where i'm at now....Do you think it will delay the application process if I have to change my address? I think we are close to the end here and i just don't want to take the chance of delaying things any more than needed....What do you guys think....

Mumbles

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shirsho said:
@ JAYJAY2, What is your AOR date? I believe our timeline is pretty close...Goodluck with the process
Did you get any action on your file? Mine was filed in September, so I want to get an idea of what's happening with files submited in August.

Shirsho

Jan 23, 2012
App sent: Aug 16, 2011. AOR Date: Jan 4, 2012, File received in buffalo. Buffalo is crawling slow...But be optimistic I guess.. Goodluck to you

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I highly doubt your file was only received by Buffalo on Jan. 4 if you applied in August.
Shirsho said:
App sent: Aug 16, 2011. AOR Date: Jan 4, 2012, File received in buffalo. Buffalo is crawling slow...But be optimistic I guess.. Goodluck to you

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shirsho said:
We got AOR almost at the same day, even though my file was received on Sep. 2 by Mississauga. Yeah, I agree with you regarding optimism thing, that's what I'm trying to achive is being optimistic, although not always successful :D. I wish you good luck too.

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
1 year visitor extension received today. Going to go in this week and sign up for Alberta health.

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
JAYJAY2 said:
Got an update on the website saying that

Permanent Residence

We received *** **** application for permanent residence on August 19, 2011.

We started processing *** **** application on January 12, 2012.

how long does it take them to approve it? haven't heard anything back yet so far
Mine is a similar timescale to yours.

They started processing on Jan 6th. I recieved a letter last week from them requesting further docs and the rprf dated on the 6th.

So they do actually do something when they start it. So hopefully soon you'll either get a 60 day letter or a ppr !!!!!

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
Quince777 said:
Congrats! Is this your second visitor extention?
Technically, my first (and hopefully only, since LA is "expediting" our application):

Entered Canada on Nov 1st - was given a 2 week visitor record cause the border guard felt like being a ....PITA. No time to request an extension.
Went back to the border on Nov 16 - was given until Dec 26 (asked for "at least through Christmas").
Sent visitor extension application Dec 9th, got a call last week that we needed to pay more and I faxed the receipt the same day and it was signed Jan 20th, received today.

Mark5

Star Member
Dec 13, 2011
Do anyone know any affordable hotel around Buffalo and if they do provide taxi service?
We have interview next month but the interview letter states that me and my spouse
must attend so will we like to be there a day before the interview date and due to will
be taking our child with us.
As anyone been invited for interview recently? If so pls share your experience and what
type document to take along. Is the sponsor always get interviewed or only just the applicant?
I'm always nervous when it comes to anything interview but i do hope for the best.

Any suggestion will help alot...Thanks

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mark5 said:
Do anyone know any affordable hotel around Buffalo and if they do provide taxi service?
We have interview next month but the interview letter states that me and my spouse
must attend so will we like to be there a day before the interview date and due to will
be taking our child with us.
As anyone been invited for interview recently? If so pls share your experience and what
type document to take along. Is the sponsor always get interviewed or only just the applicant?
I'm always nervous when it comes to anything interview but i do hope for the best.

Any suggestion will help alot...Thanks
I hear you regarding being nervous before interview. I've never heard of anyone being invited for interview with the sponsor unless application was filed in Canada. So your case is kind of interesting because both applicant and sponsor have to find time to make it to interview in Buffalo. Plus you have to take your child with you too. I think they just want more proof that your relationship is genuine that's why they asked all of you to attend it. I'm sure you'll do fine and nothing to worry about. How much time did they give before interview?

Quince777

Aug 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mark5 said:
I went through your posts and I was shocked to say the least that you filed your app in Feb. 2010. Are you serious? That's like 2 years and only now you're requested an interview. During this time what kind of communication were you receiving from Buffalo? I'm just trying to make sense out of 2-year wait that might possibly be due to incomplete application or not enough evidence maybe ???.