Buffalo-->LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2011
AOR Received.
01-12-2011
File Transfer...
28-10-2011, 15-12-2011 (transferred to LA)
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
LANDED..........
08-03-2012
So my wife and I are debating whether she should just move up here now.

As you may or may not know, we applied in August 2011, just got notification that we need to pay the RPRF (which I had conveniently forgotten to pay).

When she crosses the border, if she brings two huge suitcases and if I cross with her, will the customs officer be suspicious that she is just moving here before her PR is granted? Will that cause a problem? I have no idea how much longer this process will take (i'm guessing another month at least before PPR and another 2-3 weeks after that), but I'm anxious for her to come up. This is the main concern as she is always hassled by the border guards everytime she comes up about her intentions to stay.

Any thoughts?

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
If she hasn't been granted permanent residence yet, you definitely don't want to start bringing in a lot of stuff at this time. Otherwise, you'll raise all sorts of suspicion, and she can even be denied entry.

If they're already looking hard at her as it is, then you don't want to give them any more reason to look at you. I've been there myself, and I even spoke with an inland enforcement officer at one point, because someone told them I was living in Canada without status. (which I wasn't)

Therefore, wait until you have the COPR, and you're ready to land!
cantor2537 said:

As you may or may not know, we applied in August 2011, just got notification that we need to pay the RPRF (which I had conveniently forgotten to pay).

When she crosses the border, if she brings two huge suitcases and if I cross with her, will the customs officer be suspicious that she is just moving here before her PR is granted? Will that cause a problem? I have no idea how much longer this process will take (i'm guessing another month at least before PPR and another 2-3 weeks after that), but I'm anxious for her to come up. This is the main concern as she is always hassled by the border guards everytime she comes up about her intentions to stay.

Any thoughts?

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
cantor2537 said:

Any thoughts?
I know how hard it is to wait, but you're only a few weeks away from finishing up the whole process and then you're DONE with having to worry about all that border CRAP! Try to be patient - you're in the home stretch!

cantor2537

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2011
AOR Received.
01-12-2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
LANDED..........
08-03-2012
Thanks guys, that's what we decided but reading about how so many people are in Canada on a visitor's visa here makes me just wonder why we aren't doing that now.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Having a visitor record doesn't bestow upon you any special status or privileges, although they likely won't question you as much - especially when it says on the visitor record that you're applying for your PR. It will even say in bold print: Not Valid for Re-entry though I have re-entered with it. It still remains at the discretion of the border officer as to whether or not he'll let you in.

Meanwhile, the best time to be asking for a visitor record is at the border when you can show them your Canadian spouse, proof of your marriage to your spouse, and a copy of your fee receipt for the immigration fees. Once you show them that stuff, you can ask for a visitor record, and they'll give you a record of either a six, or a 12 month length, (it's up to them how long it will be) and they may also stamp your passport as well. But if you're that close to a COPR, then I wouldn't even bother.
cantor2537 said:
Thanks guys, that's what we decided but reading about how so many people are in Canada on a visitor's visa here makes me just wonder why we aren't doing that now.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
You bet. I know the last couple of weeks can be frustrating. Matter of fact, as soon as I got my COPR, my wife was so hysterical that she wanted me to land right then and there. Well I couldn't do just yet without filling out those personal effects forms so that I could bring over my stuff.
cantor2537 said:

cantor2537

Star Member
Jun 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-08-2011
AOR Received.
01-12-2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-03-2012
LANDED..........
08-03-2012
I've just heard so many stories about people overstaying and doing the wrong things and such that I wanted to do things the right way. My former receptionist was this young girl who married a UK guy and he came over for the wedding, and overstayed or something, and they banned him from re-applying for at least 2 years, so they moved to the UK. I don't want that to happen to us.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Very understandable. That was why I still went back and forth, even with a visitor record, and I made it a point to stay on the US side longer than in Canada. What's also a good idea to have is things like rent receipts, insurance and utility bills, bank statements, a lease agreement will be a big help. Basically everything that can be had to prove ties to the US. Paystubs from a job can also work. Carry that stuff when you cross and be prepared to show it to them if they ask. That's what I did. It's a pain in the butt to do, but it's worth it just for the piece of mind.
cantor2537 said:
I've just heard so many stories about people overstaying and doing the wrong things and such that I wanted to do things the right way. My former receptionist was this young girl who married a UK guy and he came over for the wedding, and overstayed or something, and they banned him from re-applying for at least 2 years, so they moved to the UK. I don't want that to happen to us.

canuckofchicago

Jul 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2011
Doc's Request.
06-10-2011
AOR Received.
08-07-2011
File Transfer...
06-06-2011
Hey everyone,

I just had a quick question. I paid our RPRF (Nov 8th) online via Mastercard after it was requested on October 6th. I then sent/mailed a copy of the receipt to both Mississauga and Buffalo via expresspost and both offices received it on November 12th. Now not being familiar with the process a couple of weeks later I sent an email to Buffalo with a copy of the receipt and they said it would be added to the file (November 22nd) and now it is almost two months later and nothing has been received. I did call CIC on the 9th and they even confirmed it was posted on their system. Now the question, since this coming week will be two months since my email to Buffalo does anyone know how much longer we have to wait for a PPR email or snail mail?

I am asking because my wife is getting antsy and I am getting antsy.

Thanks

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
Buffalo is known to be slow and inconsistent. All I can say is sit tight.
canuckofchicago said:
Hey everyone,

I just had a quick question. I paid our RPRF (Nov 8th) online via Mastercard after it was requested on October 6th. I then sent/mailed a copy of the receipt to both Mississauga and Buffalo via expresspost and both offices received it on November 12th. Now not being familiar with the process a couple of weeks later I sent an email to Buffalo with a copy of the receipt and they said it would be added to the file (November 22nd) and now it is almost two months later and nothing has been received. I did call CIC on the 9th and they even confirmed it was posted on their system. Now the question, since this coming week will be two months since my email to Buffalo does anyone know how much longer we have to wait for a PPR email or snail mail?

Thanks

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hang in there, you are very close. They take up to two months to process it but you have to remember there were several holidays between November when you sent the receipt and now.
canuckofchicago said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks

mcmasters

Star Member
Oct 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Request
11-07-2011
Med's Done....
August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 11 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 27 2011
Hey Everybody!

It's been a million years (OK, more like several weeks), but I wanted to stick to my word and come back to tell anyone who's interested how my visa-getting and landing went.

I can also give (some) answers about exporting/importing vehicles from the US to Canada, getting a SIN, and getting an Ontario driver license. I have yet to register my vehicles in Ontario or get insurance for them. :p

I got my visa in person at the office in Buffalo on Dec. 11th and landed at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge on Dec. 27th. I exported my vehicles on the American side of the bridge the same day and then did my landing. Both procedures took about 15 minutes.

I'll try to check back regularly to see if anyone has any questions for me. :)

From start to finish, my entire processing time was just under 10 months, from the time we sent my application until I landed in Canada.

I wish everyone the best of luck with their immigration process!

-Maddy

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats on the landing :)
mcmasters said:
Hey Everybody!

It's been a million years (OK, more like several weeks), but I wanted to stick to my word and come back to tell anyone who's interested how my visa-getting and landing went.

I can also give (some) answers about exporting/importing vehicles from the US to Canada, getting a SIN, and getting an Ontario driver license. I have yet to register my vehicles in Ontario or get insurance for them. :p

I got my visa in person at the office in Buffalo on Dec. 11th and landed at the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge on Dec. 27th. I exported my vehicles on the American side of the bridge the same day and then did my landing. Both procedures took about 15 minutes.

From start to finish, my entire processing time was just under 10 months, from the time we sent my application until I landed in Canada.

-Maddy

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
mcmasters said:
Hey Everybody!

-Maddy
How did you export on the same day? Do they not have a 3-day wait time rule? I haven't exported my vehicle yet, because the U.S. crossing near me says I have to bring them my original title (can't fax it) 72 hrs before I want to export my car. Are you saying it's not the same everywhere?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
AmericaninQuebec said:
How did you export on the same day? Do they not have a 3-day wait time rule? I haven't exported my vehicle yet, because the U.S. crossing near me says I have to bring them my original title (can't fax it) 72 hrs before I want to export my car. Are you saying it's not the same everywhere?
It is not the same everywhere. You can fax the title to Queenston/Lewiston; 72 hours in advance thing still applies though.