Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Decision Made 03-09-2013 without PPR
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
What information am I going to have to redo before sending back?

Do I get updated bank/lease/etc? Photos? What?

Amoss

Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2012
AOR Received.
10-03-2012
File Transfer...
to Buffalo 20-03-2012 -- to LA 08-05-02012
Med's Done....
20-12-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2012
Kiri said:
Well I now know why they haven't said anything to be despite saying they hadn't even opened my package...

This letter came with our entire application back: http://i47.tinypic.com/11sp72o.jpg

Over 3 months wasted... I feel like I could cry. I don't want to wait another 2-3.

Is this seriously going to make my process ANOTHER 2-3 months later? This is a 5-6 month delay!!
Kiri!!! That is painful. I am so sorry. All I can say is that you gotta keep moving. It's definitely hard right now (we on here know the pain in the a#$ it is to compile this application), but just keeping making the steps to get it back to them. In the mean time, it may be worth calling CIC and explaining your side and asking if there is a way to get to the front of the line when you get it back to them.

As to your updating of the proof. What are the dates on the criminal record check(s) and the medical? The medical is good for 12 months, and the criminal check(s) are good for 6 months. If any are near to the expiry date, my advice would be to get your package back to them ASAP while also starting the process to renew those docs. And when you get the new ones, forward them to CIC. But just to keep the ball rolling, just get the app back first. That's what I would do.

Kiri

Jan 31, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012 App. Return....: 30-8-2012 App. Refiled....: 02-01-2013
Doc's Request.
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
23-01-2013 Mississauga 10-05-2013 Ottawa
File Transfer...
19-02-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2013 (New XRay)
Med's Done....
11-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Decision Made 03-09-2013 without PPR
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
Amoss said:
Kiri!!! That is painful. I am so sorry. All I can say is that you gotta keep moving. It's definitely hard right now (we on here know the pain in the a#$ it is to compile this application), but just keeping making the steps to get it back to them. In the mean time, it may be worth calling CIC and explaining your side and asking if there is a way to get to the front of the line when you get it back to them.

As to your updating of the proof. What are the dates on the criminal record check(s) and the medical? The medical is good for 12 months, and the criminal check(s) are good for 6 months. If any are near to the expiry date, my advice would be to get your package back to them ASAP while also starting the process to renew those docs. And when you get the new ones, forward them to CIC. But just to keep the ball rolling, just get the app back first. That's what I would do.
I appreciate everyone's support and words of encouragement. I will NOT give up. I love this man way too much to let this stop me.

I thought the FBI for USA was 3 months... it's been 3.5. I did call CIC.. they said that they suggest I send a letter explaining the situation with my package and it's up to the immigration officer if they will still accept the outdated FBI check.. at this point, I'm taking my chances because I'm not waiting another damn 2 months. But they did say that this is being treated as if they never got anything from me.... so most all is outdated. I'm taking the suggestion of those on the US outland thread and ordering a new FBI thing and sending the old one like that.

Medicals are from May 11, 2012 thankfully.

I just didn't know if I needed new phone records/photos of us together/financial stuff/receipts again or if the stuff for the time we met, and then the info from the time we starting cohabiting together as common law for year before mailing in things will be enough without adding this extra 3 months worth of info to the bulk.

happylaw

Star Member
Jul 31, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2012
File Transfer...
May 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct 22, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CORP received Dec 5, 2012
LANDED..........
VERY SOON
I have tried to call the call center for 3 days now and its ALWAYS BUSY!!! I called yesterday (Thursday) and today (Friday) and I still cant get through even know its supposed to be the least busy days!!! Its almost impossible to get through.

happylaw

Star Member
Jul 31, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2012
File Transfer...
May 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct 22, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
VERY SOON
Kiri said:
Well I now know why they haven't said anything to be despite saying they hadn't even opened my package...

This letter came with our entire application back: http://i47.tinypic.com/11sp72o.jpg

Over 3 months wasted... I feel like I could cry. I don't want to wait another 2-3.

I have to wait on my mother-in-law to forward us the package (our permanent address is where it went) and us to resend it, then start the whole waiting game as September applicants. Does this mean all my 'proof' is outdated?

Also... I highly doubt my forms are old, the stupid immigration officer apparently doesn't know how to open the envelope the forms were in since I'm apparently missing all the forms needed for a sponsor stage. IDIOTS. I put a freaking key guide on the front of the envelope saying they were in there! I feel sick.

Is this seriously going to make my process ANOTHER 2-3 months later? This is a 5-6 month delay!!

Not the only one either from May: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/sponsorship-package-returned-some-advice-t105942.0.html

No file number either to send it back with to prove I'm a May applicant.

I am so sorry to hear that :( Wow you shouldnt have to start over at the beginning of the line. So you werent missing anything? they just missed the forms in the folder? Try to stay positive, I KNOW its so hard right now since you have been waiting all this time.

happylaw

Star Member
Jul 31, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 9, 2012
File Transfer...
May 24, 2012
Med's Done....
Nov 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct 22, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
VERY SOON
So I finally got through after calling about 15 times! I spoke with the nicest lady EVER!!! I wish I could always talk to her everytime I call. She was so professional and kind. She didnt give me the usual response of not having access to my file. Instead she opened my file and told me all that she could about it. I was told my file was forwarded to Los Angeles for final review so it will be another 60-90 days. I hope it's sooner than that but at least its something right? I have at least a time frame. And they said they have my medicals even though Ecas doesnt show it. There is movement!!!!! :) :) :)

I cant believe Im this excited about another potential 3 month wait but the news could be worse so I am happy :)

Have a nice weekend everyone!! Stay positive! :)

EagerFever

Jan 25, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-11
AOR Received.
23-02-12
File Transfer...
24-01-12
Med's Done....
23-10-11
Passport Req..
Fingers Crossed
VISA ISSUED...
Fingers Crossed. Toes Crossed.
LANDED..........
Body Crossed in Anticipation :)
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Ever since the Buffalo VO closed, we don't know which VO our file went to. I tried contacting Ottawa VO but no reply, it's been over 3 weeks now. I read up later, they only reply if they have the file.

Last week I went to my MPs office to file an investigation - but that's gonna take another 3 weeks for a reply, as I was told. I also filed for GCMS reports in desperation 3 days ago. Considering I didnt know the Updated VO, I put Bufalo.

1. Should I fill another GCMS report for Ottawa (I'm scared after the 30 day wait, I'll have to refile a request for Ottawa - if their policy is not to respond to incorrect VOs)

2. Does the GCMS really take 30 days for email option?

3. Is is normal for MPs to take that long for investigation?

4. Where might the file be. Any ideas?

Thanks so much for all your support and all the best to everyone waiting.

Cheers..
EagerFever

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
EagerFever said:
I also filed for GCMS reports in desperation 3 days ago. Considering I didnt know the Updated VO, I put Bufalo.
I've requested GCMS notes many times (got my last response on Friday afternoon, in fact!) As far as I can tell, the only thing that REALLY matters is that you give them your file number and/or UCI - they will find your notes in the computer.

They generate the RESPONSE to your request shortly after they get it. They SEND the response ~30 days after you asked for it. So you get 30 day old information. That's been my experience and I've requested GCMS notes at least a half dozen times (I request them every 4-5 weeks, just so I can see.) I got to see interesting comments like "no biographical data on the back of the photos" which I found odd, so I went and confirmed the US specific rules don't require biographical data on the back of the photos.

Good luck!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
simb said:
can anybody explain me what GCMS notes are ? and how is it obtained and what are their use?
CIC uses custom computer systems for tracking immigration applications and they are usually referred to by their initials. I know of four CIC systems

FOSS = Field Operation Support System (http://immipedia.ca/Field_Operations_Support_System)
CAIPS = Computer Assisted Immigration Processing System (http://immipedia.ca/CAIPS)
GCMS = Global Case Management System (replaced CAIPS, http://immipedia.ca/GCMS)
IMS = Immigration Medical System (this is where medical results go, with only the final decision code being transferred from IMS to one of the other systems)

I suspect there might be others.

One requests a copy of these computer notes through the "Access To Information and Privacy" team at CIC (each governmental agency has a group responsible for providing these disclosures). You can ASK for physical records, but generally all you need are the computer notes. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/index.asp

If you order computer notes, the team in Ottawa prints them out shortly after your request and then sends them to you (via mail or e-mail or fax, depending upon your request and the size of the disclosure) roughly 30 days after your request. What this means is that they are generally 4 weeks out of date. I suspect this is because they don't want you to find out something from an ATIP request rather than the visa office - but this is just my theory, I have no hard evidence to back it up.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
computergeek said:
CIC uses custom computer systems for tracking immigration applications and they are usually referred to by their initials. I know of four CIC systems

FOSS = Field Operation Support System (http://immipedia.ca/Field_Operations_Support_System)
CAIPS = Computer Assisted Immigration Processing System (http://immipedia.ca/CAIPS)
GCMS = Global Case Management System (replaced CAIPS, http://immipedia.ca/GCMS)
IMS = Immigration Medical System (this is where medical results go, with only the final decision code being transferred from IMS to one of the other systems)

I suspect there might be others.

One requests a copy of these computer notes through the "Access To Information and Privacy" team at CIC (each governmental agency has a group responsible for providing these disclosures). You can ASK for physical records, but generally all you need are the computer notes. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/index.asp

If you order computer notes, the team in Ottawa prints them out shortly after your request and then sends them to you (via mail or e-mail or fax, depending upon your request and the size of the disclosure) roughly 30 days after your request. What this means is that they are generally 4 weeks out of date. I suspect this is because they don't want you to find out something from an ATIP request rather than the visa office - but this is just my theory, I have no hard evidence to back it up.
so you mean to say that the person in canada can request for gcms notes and they can tell you that what is going with your file.

thanks for the info though

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
simb said:
so you mean to say that the person in canada can request for gcms notes and they can tell you that what is going with your file.
Exactly. If you are in Canada, there is no charge. If you are outside Canada, someone representing you inside Canada may request them, for which there is a $5 charge.

I just received my latest GCMS notes on Friday. I'm in the process of submitting a new request - I basically request them every 4-5 weeks. It allows me to confirm the status as well as whether or not they are receiving any additional materials I have forwarded to them.

backcountry

Star Member
May 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-12
AOR Received.
26-06-12
File Transfer...
28-06-12
Med's Done....
07-01-12
Passport Req..
20-11-12
VISA ISSUED...
29-11-12
LANDED..........
04-12-12
I can't say it isn't the individual's right to request GCMS notes, or to get one's MP involved, but I have to ask, why, particularly if one still falls within the stated timeline?

For example, LA's timeline is currently pegged at 10 months (or it was the last time I looked a week or so ago), so that's 10 months from the time one gets to Step 2. For those of us whose files hit Step 2 in June 2012, say, I can't imagine why we'd contact the VO until April, 2013, if we haven't heard anything. Recognizing that the stats indicate that 80% will receive their PR within that timeframe, some sooner, why would we tie up valuable man hours or people resources at CIC to answer queries, either from us personally or from our MP's staffers? It won't speed things up, we're in line, our files will be processed when they get processed, and as long as we receive them within the stated timeline, I'm just not sure why the need to request the notes and/or our MPs involvement. And believe me, I'm as anxious as anyone to have my wife's PR in hand, given that we're expecting our first child in December and we'd sure love to be able to have that behind us, but I know how government works and would prefer they keep their noses to the grindstone and keep processing applications, rather than take time to answer copious numbers of emails/phone calls which, for the most part, may be unnecessary and do little, practically speaking, to help.

As a side note, computergeek I get, as he/she has clearly been at this a long time and has reason to want to stay on top of things in order to possibly catch a problem before too long, but for those of us who haven't walked in his/her shoes, it seems to me that it's an unnecessary and likely unprofitable exercise.

Again though, I know it's folks' right, just curious about the "why" of it.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
backcountry said:
I can't say it isn't the individual's right to request GCMS notes, or to get one's MP involved, but I have to ask, why, particularly if one still falls within the stated timeline?
As you suggested, for me, it is because I've already had problems and I expect the previous rejected application to impact everything I do from here on. So I'm trying to stay on top of things to address problems as quickly as possible should they arise. I also expect to be scheduled for an interview, although in this case slow processing may work in my favour - by the time they get to looking at my application the previous rejection may have been reversed (it actually seems more likely than not at this stage, barring Justice Canada pulling a rabbit out of its hat at the last moment.) But I'll know WHY I've been pulled for an interview.

In my previous (rejected) application I only found out after the fact that some of the documents I submitted never made it into the file. Using ATIP for confirming receipt of documents is actually useful.

In addition (and likely because it fits better with most people's reason for doing this) it's the only way one can find out what is actually happening with the application. Looking back at this process (which I casually started in 2006) I cannot imagine why anyone would go through something this incredibly stressful voluntarily. Having absolutely no idea how long it will take, when it starts, how it is going, etc. is difficult, particularly given that it's such a fundamental life-changing process. MOST people get through it in a matter of a year and move on. Some people get sucked into the cogs of the machine, chewed up and spit out. If this lowers the stress level for some, then it's a good thing. Whether it does or not, is a separate question.

backcountry said:
For example, LA's timeline is currently pegged at 10 months (or it was the last time I looked a week or so ago), so that's 10 months from the time one gets to Step 2. For those of us whose files hit Step 2 in June 2012, say, I can't imagine why we'd contact the VO until April, 2013, if we haven't heard anything. Recognizing that the stats indicate that 80% will receive their PR within that timeframe, some sooner, why would we tie up valuable man hours or people resources at CIC to answer queries, either from us personally or from our MP's staffers? It won't speed things up, we're in line, our files will be processed when they get processed, and as long as we receive them within the stated timeline, I'm just not sure why the need to request the notes and/or our MPs involvement. And believe me, I'm as anxious as anyone to have my wife's PR in hand, given that we're expecting our first child in December and we'd sure love to be able to have that behind us, but I know how government works and would prefer they keep their noses to the grindstone and keep processing applications, rather than take time to answer copious numbers of emails/phone calls which, for the most part, may be unnecessary and do little, practically speaking, to help.
Note that the ATIP office is a complete separate group; the man hours to format your GCMS notes and send them to you do NOT come out of the pool of hours available for processing applications. Indeed, I usually suggest asking for computer notes INSTEAD of sending e-mails/faxes/letters/case inquiries to the visa office directly, as that DOES impact processing times.

Personally, I don't trust the posted online processing times at all. LA's time in the previous 12 months was for processing < 200 applications. Buffalo's backlog at the end of March 2012 was over 2,000 applications. I know it will get done when it gets done, but that doesn't make me any more patient now than I have been for the past 3+ years.

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
computergeek said:
Exactly. If you are in Canada, there is no charge. If you are outside Canada, someone representing you inside Canada may request them, for which there is a $5 charge.

I just received my latest GCMS notes on Friday. I'm in the process of submitting a new request - I basically request them every 4-5 weeks. It allows me to confirm the status as well as whether or not they are receiving any additional materials I have forwarded to them.
my file was transferred in july. so do you think I should ask for gcms. I submitted one additional document. i hope they would have opened my file to look into..