Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2011
AOR Received.
8-01-2012(Mississauga) 28-03-2012 (buffalo)
File Transfer...
26-01-2012
Med's Request
25-07-2013
Med's Done....
Sept 2011, 26 July,2013
Interview........
July 2013-passed
Passport Req..
21-08-2013, sent on 27-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06 september, 2013
LANDED..........
27 september, 2013
Hi all

Update

Just got an email from BFALOIMPA-AP@international.gc.ca that initial assessment is complete and an interview is required. We will inform you about date and time.

When should I expect next response from them about date. And how long they take to schedule interview.

Please share your timeline and experience with interview.

Thanks

g-man

Star Member
May 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2011
AOR Received.
24-01-2012
File Transfer...
09-01-2012 (22-02-2012 Seattle)
Med's Done....
19-07-2011
Passport Req..
12-04-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2012 (Canada Day!!)
Waiting to send my passport in for a birth date correction until I travel home next weekend and then waiting for it to come back and THEN waiting for Seattle to issue my COPR ??? :(

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
So I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed for when I land soon.

I called 506-636-5064 to ask about landing. Nothing seemed relevant, so I called 204-983-3500, which is another Canada border services number. The woman there said that I should just make sure I had everything that came on the list with my COPR. When I told her I had nothing resembling a list, she said to call immigration at 888-242-2100.

I called immigration at 888-242-2100, and repeatedly got disconnected. Then I called 204-983-3500 back and asked them about the number. They told me that 888-242-2100 does not work outside Canada, and to call 613-944-4000 for immigration. When I called 613-944-4000, they said that they're not actually immigration either and told me to call immigration.

What is this 'list' I am supposed to have and how do I actually contact someone about it? I'm probably making some really stupid obvious mistake here, but this is really frustrating, and I feel like I spent my whole lunch hour going around in circles.

calissons

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->SEA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2011
Interview........
Waived
I believe she's talking about the B4
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b4a/

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html

"When you arrive, even if you have no goods with you at the time, you must give your list of goods to the border services officer at your first point of arrival in Canada. Based on the list of goods you submit, the officer will complete a Form B4 (PDF, 202 KB), Personal Effects Accounting Document, assign a file number to it and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of this form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive. Goods to follow may be subject to import restrictions before you can import them.

To facilitate the clearance process, you can complete Form B4, in advance of your arrival at the first port of entry in Canada. You can obtain a copy of the form on the CBSA Web site at www.cbsa.gc.ca"

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
No, she said I was supposed to get a list of documents that I need to bring with me to land.

Timemachine

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo--->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2011
AOR Received.
23-02-2012
File Transfer...
03-02-2012
Med's Done....
17-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
27-04-2012
LANDED..........
01-05-2012
Isometry said:
No, she said I was supposed to get a list of documents that I need to bring with me to land.
My husband landed on Tuesday and all he brought with him was 3 suitcases, his COPR and the B4 form. They didn't ask for anything else.

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
Timemachine said:
My husband landed on Tuesday and all he brought with him was 3 suitcases, his COPR and the B4 form. They didn't ask for anything else.
That's what I thought, but when I asked "So I need my COPR, my passport, my B4, the title to my car, anything else?" she replied that I'd also need the documents listed with my COPR and then sounded really worried that I hadn't got a list, which made me worried too. Ugh. I am ready for this to be over.

Kiri

Jan 31, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2012 App. Return....: 30-8-2012 App. Refiled....: 02-01-2013
Doc's Request.
24-01-2013
AOR Received.
23-01-2013 Mississauga 10-05-2013 Ottawa
File Transfer...
19-02-2013
Med's Request
23-07-2013 (New XRay)
Med's Done....
11-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Decision Made 03-09-2013 without PPR
VISA ISSUED...
27-09-2013
LANDED..........
04-12-2013
Kiri said:
I also have a question... if I have to go to the states for less than one day (drive down to NY to meet someone for work stuff in the morning and drive right back the afternoon).. will I lose my visitor extension if I do get one? Will I risk not getting back in? Cause I'm gonna need to this summer (I'm sending off for PR not this coming Monday but next so I'll have the info once they inform me they have it before I go.) Will it restart my 6 months to go down and back and I have to reapply for extension? Or since it's less than 24hours will it still apply?

If I DO lose the extension and I'm in process I'm sure they will approve if I reapply if they dont' grant me that long of one at the border. But what are the odds they will reject me coming back same day if I have the proof of medical exam, and that my PR app is in and in process and all fees paid?

This is all based on them approving it. Still waiting. I'm here on implied right now as I was supposed to leave April 30th.
Aside from this, I'd like to say that my FBI came in today!! 7 weeks xD

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Isometry said:
That's what I thought, but when I asked "So I need my COPR, my passport, my B4, the title to my car, anything else?" she replied that I'd also need the documents listed with my COPR and then sounded really worried that I hadn't got a list, which made me worried too. Ugh. I am ready for this to be over.
Did you tell them it was family class sponsorship (different visa types have varying requirements)?

All you should need is your COPR, passport, B4/B4A set, title to the car as you said and a camera to capture the moment :) To cover all your bases, take a copy of your application (with originals you may have) since they technically can do a random quality assurance test at the border and that way you'll have it all (but leave it in the car as you cross...I've never heard of them actually doing it but the regulations allow for it.

Given that you mentioned car title, before you head up you'll need to plan logistics to export your car - from the timing you'll actually cross (usually M-F 8-4 or so although some are 24/7 and others are just a few days a week) to getting the info the US border post wants to them in time (usually 3 days prior, sometimes 3 business days prior) in the format that post wants it (e-mail with VIN, actual title mailed to them ahead of time, etc). You'll also want to make arrangements for insurance and whatever else you need to register the car in the province you are heading to. Finally, it is often easier to get the letter of no recall for the RIV while you are in the US (depends on your vehicle manufacturer) and speeds things up if you e-mail it to the RIV ahead of time.

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
No, I didn't think to mention it and she didn't ask.

I've emailed the US border people in the area I'm going to cross, as per their instructions, with the VIN and make and model of the car. I got an automated response back saying to bring the title, lien if applicable (it's not) and a print out of that email. I sent that email yesterday, and will be crossing around the 17th, so that should be enough time, even if I get another response asking for more. I've got the letter of no recall printed out.
I don't have arrangements for insurance yet, but I think I have to make the appropriate modifications to my car before I can register it? Daytime running lights, switching out the speedometer to one in kilometers, and a block heater.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Isometry said:
No, I didn't think to mention it and she didn't ask.

I've emailed the US border people in the area I'm going to cross, as per their instructions, with the VIN and make and model of the car. I got an automated response back saying to bring the title, lien if applicable (it's not) and a print out of that email. I sent that email yesterday, and will be crossing around the 17th, so that should be enough time, even if I get another response asking for more. I've got the letter of no recall printed out.
I don't have arrangements for insurance yet, but I think I have to make the appropriate modifications to my car before I can register it? Daytime running lights, switching out the speedometer to one in kilometers, and a block heater.
Great! If you e-mail the RIV a copy of the letter of no recall (recall@support.riv.ca), they'll have it processed in time by when you cross - it's valid for IIRC 60 days since you e-mail it. Then, you'll get Form 1 at the Canadian border and can call up the RIV to pay your RIV fee just after you cross the border. If you add an e-mail to Form 1, they'll e-mail you Form 2 within a couple days; otherwise they will mail it to you.

BTW, since sent an e-mail to CBP, if you're crossing at Queenston-Lewiston Bridge (NY/Ontario), you'll just need to take the e-mail you got back from them acknowledging the e-mail with you when you cross the border :)

You could make an appointment at Canadian Tire for your inspection (if you are heading to Ontario, in addition to the import inspection which takes about an hour, you'll need safety and emissions inspections which will take about 1.5 hours to get all done so it can take a few days to get the appointments in). You will need daytime running lights to pass the import inspection at Canadian Tire (some people have reported getting them cheaper installed in the US so you may want to check with you dealership if they do it if you still have time). If your speedometer has km (even if it's the small #s) you don't need to swap it out for inspection purposes; the block heater is not necessary for the inspection or registration so you can take your time getting it installed.

To register the car, if it's Ontario, you'll need the certificates from the 3 inspection (import - Form 2 stamped by Canadian Tire, safety, emissions), your title stamped by the US with the export stamp, proof of insurance, a Canadian drivers license, and registration and plate fees (NB - you don't need to pay taxes since you imported the car on your B4, sometimes you need to gently remind them of this). The official list is http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/rgoutcan.shtml. If it's another province check the MTO website for that province.

How exciting - good luck! You're almost done :)

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
I'll be landing in Ontario at Lewiston Bridge but my final destination's Alberta. I know the speedometer and block heater aren't necessary for inspections, but I will need to remember to get them done. Good call on emailing the RIV with the letter of no recall.

Even though the final destination's in Alberta, I'll be getting to Edmonton on the 18th and my car will be arriving around the 22nd--I think this is really silly, but got tired of arguing about it. I am going to take those days to unpack/settle a bit, and worry about the car stuff when the car is actually there. Everything that needs to be done is just a bit overwhelming if I don't break it down any.

Amoss

Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2012
AOR Received.
10-03-2012
File Transfer...
to Buffalo 20-03-2012 -- to LA 08-05-02012
Med's Done....
20-12-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2012
All this talk of landing!! It must be really exciting despite the confusion! Congratulations! :D

I am just wondering about police record checks. Did anyone have to redo theirs? My husband lived in several countries after he turned 18 and he indeed submitted all of them, but I am wondering, since it is taking so long, if he will be asked to resubmit them-- EVEN if he hasn't been to that country at all since the police record checks were released. ::)

Anyone have to resubmit such police certificates?

moochops

Aug 13, 2011
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2011
Doc's Request.
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
24-08-2011
File Transfer...
09-08-2011
Med's Request
new request 19-12-2012
Med's Done....
24-10-2010 / 16-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Hi amoss I'm not sure about the validity of the other coutries police checks - but the UK need to be recieved by CIC when they are no more than 3 months old. I think the total validity is 6 months (or 12 it's late and i'm tired lol). So yes CIC asked me for an updated one.

Check on the CIC site - I was going to suggest ordering new ones just in case but if they don't request them for another 4 months and you get new ones now - they'll be out of date before you start. It's a catch 22 really. All you can do is wait to see if they ask for them.

To answer you other question yes, they would need them (if requested) irrespective of whether he'd been back there or not.

homi2285

Oct 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo / Ottawa office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2011
File Transfer...
06-09-2011
Med's Done....
before sending the application in July 2011
Passport Req..
21-12-2012
Hi everyone,

I applied for PR since end of June last year and I'm still waitting for it. I'm a non US citizen and working in the US under OPT. I have a question : Is it possible to apply for a visitor visa while waiiting for PR? any things that I should be aware of?
I really just want to reunite with my husband in Canada, this PR process has been taking too long!!!

Please advise! Thank you so much