+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

kayan

Star Member
Nov 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ddobro2 said:
I don't know about not being able to leave Canada (although, with a Record of Landing, I think you can do whatever you want, particularly for short trips), but I actually thought I read that CIC doesn't mail you the PR card, but instead mails you a letter saying they are ready for you to pick it up at the local CIC office. If you don't pick it up within 180 days, the card is returned to CPC-Sydney to be destroyed and you would have to reapply.
Hm, Ok, thanks. I wonder who I can call to find out for sure. We have plans for a short trip to NY in Dec, but I am hesitant to buy plane tickets in case he is not allowed to leave (I know I read that here somewhere, just cannot find it now).

kayan

Star Member
Nov 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JAYJAY2 said:
can someone help with my questions below please

The sponsorship got approved and now there sending it to Buffalo.
I sent in the application without the FBI results we got them so we have to send them in. Also after we sent in the application my wife received her american citezenship and got her american passport. So should we just go ahead and send that info right away to Bufallo or wait?
I'd send all the info that is relevant to your application to Buffalo ASAP. And then, hassle them with emails until they confirm they received it.

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
buffalo-toronto said:
I meant was, can we only go on Tuesdays and Thursdays to Buffalo to get our PR Visa? Is that documented somewhere?
Here is a link that details the days/times you can submit your passport to Buffalo in person:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/submit_soumettre.aspx?view=d

It basically says:

"Passports may be brought in on Tuesday or Thursday between the hours of 8:00 am and 10:00 am. Bring this email with you when you come. Every effort will be made to have your passports returned the same day."

buffalo-toronto

Feb 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2011
AOR Received.
August 2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
29-01-2011
Interview........
Waived

JAYJAY2

Star Member
Jul 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-18-2011
File Transfer...
28-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
kayan said:
I'd send all the info that is relevant to your application to Buffalo ASAP. And then, hassle them with emails until they confirm they received it.
should I redo the forms from the package that will affect her new citenzenship info or just send in the passport pictures and let them do it?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh lollll. Yes, it's the submission link that doctorkb and jayde posted. You'll get it in your PPR letter too.
buffalo-toronto said:
I meant was, can we only go on Tuesdays and Thursdays to Buffalo to get our PR Visa? Is that documented somewhere?

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
ddobro2 said:
I don't know about not being able to leave Canada (although, with a Record of Landing, I think you can do whatever you want, particularly for short trips), but I actually thought I read that CIC doesn't mail you the PR card, but instead mails you a letter saying they are ready for you to pick it up at the local CIC office. If you don't pick it up within 180 days, the card is returned to CPC-Sydney to be destroyed and you would have to reapply.
CIC does mail the PR card out...they are process at CPC-Sydney...they as usual have very inconsistent time frames from when you land until you get it....

And ddbro...you are right, we had 60 days to submit the passport, but we were thru LA which may have different timelines than others, it also depends on when your medical expires....

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your husband landed already, right? Has he applied for a PR card yet? The processing time for new PR card applications is currently 31 business days, so even if you apply now, you should be fine to have it before traveling: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp. You'll also see on that link that they give an option of providing proof of travel so they can expedite the PPR but oddly enough, that is only in the row for existing PRs who face the 148 day wait. If I were you, it's whether this applies ONLY to existing is what I would try to confirm....

CIC officially says that, "PR Cards are required travel documents for Permanent Residents traveling outside of Canada. Outside Canada, if a Permanent Resident does not have a valid Permanent Resident Card to return to Canada, he/she will need to obtain a travel document from a Canadian visa office."

Also the PR card application (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5445E.PDF) does say one is eligible to apply if they are "physically present in Canada." I guess you could call the Call Centre :):)... ) to discuss your situation.

Nevermind what I said about the Record of Landing before......I think I did not know what I was talking about lol! My husband went through this process himself and I think he landed before they made that change to have the PR card replace the Record of Landing as a legal proof of status document for new immigrants.

[quote author=kayan ]
Hm, Ok, thanks. I wonder who I can call to find out for sure. We have plans for a short trip to NY in Dec, but I am hesitant to buy plane tickets in case he is not allowed to leave (I know I read that here somewhere, just cannot find it now).
[/quote]

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
ddobro2 said:
Your husband landed already, right? Has he applied for a PR card yet? The processing time for new PR card applications is currently 31 business days, so even if you apply now, you should be fine to have it before traveling: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp. You'll also see on that link that they give an option of providing proof of travel so they can expedite the PPR but oddly enough, that is only in the row for existing PRs who face the 148 day wait. If I were you, it's whether this applies ONLY to existing is what I would try to confirm....

CIC officially says that, "PR Cards are required travel documents for Permanent Residents traveling outside of Canada. Outside Canada, if a Permanent Resident does not have a valid Permanent Resident Card to return to Canada, he/she will need to obtain a travel document from a Canadian visa office."

Also the PR card application (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/5445E.PDF) does say one is eligible to apply if they are "physically present in Canada." I guess you could call the Call Centre :):)... ) to discuss your situation.

Nevermind what I said about the Record of Landing before......I think I did not know what I was talking about lol! My husband went through this process himself and I think he landed before they made that change to have the PR card replace the Record of Landing as a legal proof of status document for new immigrants.
It clearly states on the COPR copy that you keep, that it is not a travel document...as for the timelines...its just like the November to February group waiting on PPRs...a group from July are waiting for their PR cards...we did get ours, and it was about 41 or so business days....I have no hope for any consistency with CIC, and even their posted numbers anymore....thank goodness our process/ordeal is over with immigration, but now we have the battles with the Ontario Government about the title of his car, and before it was his license....I tell ya...I actually made the comment at the MTO office, that I was not sure who was worse with inconsistent stories the MTO or CIC...the lady behind the desk didn't see the humour but hubs and I got a huge laugh out of it.... :p

francohoosier

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
10-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
4-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2011
LANDED..........
12-11-2011
kayan said:
I remember reading about this much earlier in the thread, but the basic logic is this: CIC's website says a PR card is needed for travel to Canada on a commercial carrier (aka plane, bus, etc). I haven't found (though I stand to be corrected) where it says it's an absolute must in order pass through customs. Just says that's what commercial carriers will require as proof. HOWEVER, the airline really doesn't care WHY you're going to Canada, much less if you're a PR or not - just so long as you have proof that your entry is unlikely to be refused... such as a US passport (or any other visa-exempt country). As long as you have your passport to make the airline happy and your CoPR and other docs to make customs happy, I think you shouldn't have a problem.

I'll be testing this theory out myself soon (and DEFINITELY double-checking with an officer when I land) because I'll be landing Nov. 13th and heading back to the states about about a month after.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
jayde said:
Here is a link that details the days/times you can submit your passport to Buffalo in person:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/buffalo/imm/submit_soumettre.aspx?view=d

It basically says:

"Passports may be brought in on Tuesday or Thursday between the hours of 8:00 am and 10:00 am. Bring this email with you when you come. Every effort will be made to have your passports returned the same day."
Yep. If you (whoever this poster is responding to) go to Buffalo to take care of PPR, try to arrive at the parking garage 7:00-7:15am, Tim Hortons inside at the plaza level 7:15-7:20am, at 7:25-7:30am a guard will come to Timmy's (they take you up to the lobby but guards [there's many] get mad if you wander up there alone -- only specific people are allowed access to other floors esp before 7:30, and they card/badge ppl at all times), take you and the other ppl waiting there up to the lobby, they take passports from everyone who is gonna go up to the 30th floor (regardless of nationality), give you a sticker-pass you place on your chest, hand you back your passport, and direct you past two guards to the elevators to go to the 30th floor marked with a Canadian flag.

Once up there, a guard greets you and takes most electronic devices (particularly phones, sometimes things like cameras) the applicant(s) with the PPR wait in line to talk to the first window you'll see, where you show the PPR whether e-mail or snail mail, hand over your passport, and begin a rather arduous wait in the seats or stand. If you arrive as early as you should, there will be plenty of seats to choose from but if you're late, the 50-80 seats fill up quickly, and by 10am they stop accepting people so without a doubt be on that floor before 10am or SOL.

You will be given a number (ours was 11), but don't expect to be called in that order. Most of the people called ahead of us with numbers much higher looked like they were students. There's also a cashier window they will call you to in case you need to make any sort of payment (RPRF for PPR's perhaps, but there's many reasons they collect fees there on the spot for some people, they never called us to the cashier's desk as we paid RPRF with the initial application sent to Mississauga), otherwise it's just a waiting game, as mentioned, and they will call your number, hand over passport and COPR. As soon as they give you this, verify the visa foil thingy in the passport is present, and make sure the COPR matches your personal information before leaving. The lady welcomed me to Canada, as well as the single guard standing there, and we were on our merry way to Queenston-Lewiston bridge to land.

JAYJAY2 said:
can someone help with my questions below please

The sponsorship got approved and now there sending it to Buffalo.
I sent in the application without the FBI results we got them so we have to send them in. Also after we sent in the application my wife received her american citezenship and got her american passport. So should we just go ahead and send that info right away to Bufallo or wait?
Wait for either the request from Buffalo or in your case perhaps ask about it if you need to update your status. In my case, we filed in May, my original FBI document was dated in December 2010. I fully expected a request for a new FBI document, anticipating this, got another which arrived in July around the same time as sponsorship approval, but they ended up not requesting it for some odd reason. Either way if they need it you will know they need it as they will request it.

kayan said:
Is it true that once you land, you cannot leave Canada until your residency card arrives, and this can take anywhere from 4-8 weeks?
Partially true. When landing CBSA warned us about me travelling by air, bus/train, and sea, until I attain the PR card. I can show them my passport with the stapled COPR in it, no prob, if driving across the border by car, and they will admit me without issue or hesitation. However, if by those other (usually commercial-esque) means, there is a very good likelihood (pretty much assured) of denial or them making you file for a travel document at your nearest VO ($50 fee) in order to re-enter. Safest best is wait for the PR card.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
francohoosier said:
I remember reading about this much earlier in the thread, but the basic logic is this: CIC's website says a PR card is needed for travel to Canada on a commercial carrier (aka plane, bus, etc). I haven't found (though I stand to be corrected) where it says it's an absolute must in order pass through customs. Just says that's what commercial carriers will require as proof. HOWEVER, the airline really doesn't care WHY you're going to Canada, much less if you're a PR or not - just so long as you have proof that your entry is unlikely to be refused... such as a US passport (or any other visa-exempt country). As long as you have your passport to make the airline happy and your CoPR and other docs to make customs happy, I think you shouldn't have a problem.

I'll be testing this theory out myself soon (and DEFINITELY double-checking with an officer when I land) because I'll be landing Nov. 13th and heading back to the states about about a month after.
I was told that the concern is for when you fly, and has to do with the fact that some plane carriers will not let a PR board a plane to Canada (from the US) without the PR card. The Canadian immigration/customs people would have access to see your record and would be able to verify you are a PR, so that the Canada immigration part isn't the concern (at least according to the Canadian immigration officers I asked when I landed). Some people have flown successfully. And I think crossing the Canada-US border by car is okay. I just decided to not travel during that time, and thankfully received my card before I had to travel.

kayan

Star Member
Nov 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ddobro2 said:
Your husband landed already, right? Has he applied for a PR card yet?
No, hasn't landed yet. He should be landing around Nov 16th, and I'll tell him to apply for the PR card asap. I guess I'll hold off on the tickets, and tell him to ask about travelling at the border when he lands.

Bargeld

Sep 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-05-2011
AOR Received.
14-07-2011
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-10-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
kayan said:
No, hasn't landed yet. He should be landing around Nov 16th, and I'll tell him to apply for the PR card asap. I guess I'll hold off on the tickets, and tell him to ask about travelling at the border when he lands.
Don't need to apply, it's automatically sent when he lands. What he'll want to apply for is a SIN number and card.