Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App in Buffalo Now

Hi all!

I am 35, Canadian, married to a Brit, 36, with one American (Canadian-Brit baby), aged 1.

We have lived in NY for 6 years. We have been married for 5 years.

I sent the app for my husband to the Mississauga CPC, from NY, on April 5th, 2010. It was received April 9th.

The letter I received notifying us that I was approved of as a sponsor was dated May 13, 2010. This letter told us the app was then being forwarded to Buffalo. (Mid May, 2010)

A few weeks later, we got a letter stating they needed a photocopy of a document never mentioned in the application package. I made the copy, and returned the app the next mailing day, and it was received within a day or two (still, mid-May 2010).

On June 22, online app status for permanent residence changed to 'In Process'.

My question for anyone reading this (as I have consulted an imm lawyer, and tried to ask people at both Cit and Imm Canada side and US side -- and I get nowhere!)

Q: Can we use 'dual intention', and enter Canada as a fam (myself and daughter are Canadian), and have my husband come in as a 'visitor' (as he does on a monthly basis when we visit fam -- for up to 6 months), while his app is being processed, or does this in any way jeopardize the app --- or our future -- ?!

Thanks in advance for any and all informed replies!

MrsHamster

Jul 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: App in Buffalo Now

On June 22, online app status for permanent residence changed to 'In Process'.

Oops! Make that JULY 22nd.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Re: App in Buffalo Now

MrsHamster said:
Q: Can we use 'dual intention', and enter Canada as a fam (myself and daughter are Canadian), and have my husband come in as a 'visitor' (as he does on a monthly basis when we visit fam -- for up to 6 months), while his app is being processed, or does this in any way jeopardize the app --- or our future -- ?!
Read this and then ask whatever other questions you might have:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/search-results/-t22091.0.html;msg114645;topicseen

This is basically the way I did it with my U.S. partner and it worked fine. It would have been better if I had the receipt for the PR fees with us, but otherwise it was fine.

S

SaugaBoss

sbwv09 said:
At least I know it will do no good to contact them yet! Thanks saugaboss
no problem

I dont get what they mean by the letter they will mail out. I got an AOR letter for first step approval. Maybe its another letter once its opened in Buffalo

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Yeah, you get a letter from Buffalo which has all their information and stuff you can use to mail them more information if needed. Your ecas should change to 'in process' before the actual letter goes out, though.

S

SaugaBoss

cool! thanks
I got another email from buffalo...

Yes, it means your file to date has not been created in Buffalo. We do
not confirm receipt of applications prior to creation. We are currently
creating family class applications received June 4, 2010.

Canadian Consulate General Buffalo

Immigration Section

buffalo-im-enquiry@international.gc.ca

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
That's good though, that they gave you a date. So June 4th.. I can expect to wait about 3 more weeks or so I guess. At least we know!

Lilac6

Jun 2, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2010
Doc's Request.
20-05-2010
AOR Received.
16-04-2010
File Transfer...
17-03-2010
Med's Done....
21-01-2010
Interview........
wavered
Passport Req..
16-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2010
LANDED..........
28-07-2010
Hi All,

I did my landing today at Point Roberts, WA. As those around British Columbia may be familiar, Point Roberts is a tiny peninsula cut off by N49 parallel, and there is a wee US-Canadian border there. As it's such a small border, very few people seem to the landing there - or very few people GO there.

I just happen to be staying this summer at Point Roberts with my partner, and cross the border almost daily to do the shopping on the Canadian side etc. So it was a bit of a non event, going to the border just like any other day. Only, instead of saying "eh, I'm still on the visitor status, but will land very soon" and pass by the border booth in the car, my word today was "I'd like to do the landing please."

I was given a small sheet of paper and instructed to go into the border office. There were 2 people in the lineup for various custom/immigration reasons, and within a minute I was called up by the same officer I talked to at the booth. He briefly went through with me the landing document which I received from Buffalo, and I signed at the few places. Then he told me to "sit there, wait for 5 minutes while I put it in computer". And yes within 5 minutes I was called again and was returned the passport. I was also explained that PR card would arrive in about 6 weeks, in the meantime I could travel between US and Canada with the proof of landing document stapled in the passport, but would need a visa if I travel to other countries and come back before I get PR Card.
And that was it.
They didn't even say "Welcome to Canada", which I was looking forward to hearing! :(

Anyhow, just about 5 months since filing the application, 6 weeks after PPR and 3 weeks after getting the passport back, I got round to becoming a Canadian landed immigrant. I must say I had a tiny butterfly in the stomach for a moment while waiting for 5 min in the border office.

For anyone considering going to the border around BC, Point Roberts is a hidden gem. It's 45 min drive from Vancouver. Only July/August it gets a bit crowded and the car lineup can be long especially on those summer weekends with lots of people coming to stay at cottages, but in other times you get to land ever so quickly. Can't promise you a "memorable" landing, but if just a plain, quick landing will do for you, I recommend it.

S

SaugaBoss

sbwv09 said:
That's good though, that they gave you a date. So June 4th.. I can expect to wait about 3 more weeks or so I guess. At least we know!
yea so ours should be opened with in a couple weeks because mine was mailed on June 23!

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Mine was transferred on the 22nd.. so we should be on the same timeline :D Be sure to keep in touch :)

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
sbwv09 said:
Mine was transferred on the 22nd.. so we should be on the same timeline :D Be sure to keep in touch :)
Ours was transferred the 14th so I hope we hear really soon!

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
And hopefully once they start on it they will finish very quickly!!! Mine is pretty straight forward so here's to hoping!!

I've noticed quite a few American immigrants being told that their FBI paperwork is lost, even though they are sure they sent it.. has anyone else noticed this? When I'm home this weekend I'm actually going to get fingerprinted and send off for another copy just in case!!

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
sbwv09 said:
And hopefully once they start on it they will finish very quickly!!! Mine is pretty straight forward so here's to hoping!!

I've noticed quite a few American immigrants being told that their FBI paperwork is lost, even though they are sure they sent it.. has anyone else noticed this? When I'm home this weekend I'm actually going to get fingerprinted and send off for another copy just in case!!
We sent off for an second set last month just in case they lose the first.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
I'll probably hold onto mine until they ask for it.. it's sad that we'd have to do this though!

beantown

Mar 30, 2010
My timeline seems to be lagging and i am worried it has to do with Medicals. E-CAS says In Process - started processing on JUNE 7th, but there is no mention of medicals received. Do I need to do something to make sure the medicals get to Buffalo? For what it's worth, we had the medicals done a few months before the application was filed.