+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Those who applied as self-employed, let's connect

winter

Feb 24, 2012
Hi, i hope to be able to get in touch with those people who have applied, about to apply and those who have been approved as self-employed migrants to Canada.

I'm a PT and have been managing my own gym for over 10 years now, hence i am my own boss and self-employed. I'm trying my luck to apply, already gathered all necessary papers and is about to send my docs next week.

I hope we can connect and start this forum to help each other. any input would be very much appreciated! thanks so much!

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
Good luck, I applied in 2006, under 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
theu have about 1500 to 2000 people in the backlog and they let in 235 a year
it is going to take them 5+ years to clear the backlog because a lot of entrepreneurs applied as self employed when they froze that category (investors too).

winter

Feb 24, 2012
ihabkal said:
Good luck, I applied in 2006, under 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
theu have about 1500 to 2000 people in the backlog and they let in 235 a year
it is going to take them 5+ years to clear the backlog because a lot of entrepreneurs applied as self employed when they froze that category (investors too).

thank you for the response! that is exactly why i want to start this topic, to be able to gather input regarding this application. i was really worried that it would take that long to wait for them to decide on an application, especially considering the amount of time you will waste and not being able to reapply or try other avenues. may i know your thoughts on this? do you plan on just waiting or you are doing something about it?

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
my brother and I applied same day on 22nd August 2006, he appled Skilled worker and he's a permanent resident now. I am an Architect, i wish I applied like him. I think the amount of people who undeservingly applied to this category in the last few years crippled the system especially that this category is made for best in field applicants. I cancelled my application and sent a letter and I am waiting for a refund. Ironically I am in Canada right now under the rarest visa they have, the temporary self employed self sponsored visa that I got directly from a Consul at the embassy. My status expires in 2013, that's when i plan to leave Canada for good if I am not a permanent by then.

winter

Feb 24, 2012
I appreciate your input and now I'm having second thoughts. Good thing I have not yet purchased a bank draft, but it saddens me to think that I have already gathered my papers, taken the IELTS and paid a consultant for this. My consultant tells me that immigration has a new system now that enables them to process papers quickly, unlike those who applied years back (just not sure if as far back as 2006).

You're lucky because you were able to work in Canada and it may increase your chances whenever you reapply for PR. What country are you from? I would appreciate if you could suggest any second option for me to apply. Thank you!

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
I'm from Lebanon and my application sat for 6 year sin Damascus, then it was sent to Ankara when they closed, even though I asked them to send it to Buffalo as I am in Canada,
I am seeing CEC applicants get it in 6 or 7 months.
I don't know what you or I should do...
slef employed experience is not eligible for CEC or else I would've gone that route.

winter

Feb 24, 2012
ihabkal said:
I'm from Lebanon and my application sat for 6 year sin Damascus, then it was sent to Ankara when they closed, even though I asked them to send it to Buffalo as I am in Canada,
I am seeing CEC applicants get it in 6 or 7 months.
I don't know what you or I should do...
slef employed experience is not eligible for CEC or else I would've gone that route.

I think that's what took your application long, the transferring of docs from one office to another. Oh well, I guess my only option now is to try my luck as self-employed and just cancel the application if it takes too long.

Thanks again!

I would be very grateful for any input from others here! thanks!

ihabkal

Oct 8, 2010
the manila office had a refusal rate of 100% in the last 12 months, they refused 7 applications and approved none
but you're in luck, as of January his year they only had 2 cases in the queue, compared to 1200 cases in New Delhi.

winter

Feb 24, 2012
ihabkal said:
the manila office had a refusal rate of 100% in the last 12 months, they refused 7 applications and approved none
but you're in luck, as of January his year they only had 2 cases in the queue, compared to 1200 cases in New Delhi.
May I know where you get all this information? So that I can check out the status myself in case I plan to pursue my application. thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
hi

winter said:
May I know where you get all this information? So that I can check out the status myself in case I plan to pursue my application. thanks!
http://tinyurl.com/82e9lud

winter

Feb 24, 2012
i'm quite confused with the table. does that mean this year only 2 applied for self-employed in manila and both are approved?