+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

this might seem like a stupid question ...

NYCtoNB

Star Member
Sep 12, 2008
new york city
Category........
Visa Office......
bufallo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
10-05-09
Passport Req..
02-03-10
LANDED..........
18-06-2010
but i just got off the phone with immigration and it has left me rather confused.
i am a U.S citizen and my boyfriend/fiance is a canadian citizen. i was hoping to go and stay with him for six months as that is what i've been lead to believe is the extent i can stay in the country with out a work permit or student visa, the reason being, i personally believe you should live with someone before you marry to be sure it will work, as well as the fact that his grandmother is well into her 90s and i adore the woman, would like to have time with her before, there is no more....

sorry im digressing

i called immigration to find out if there were any requirements in order for me to stay this long as i have had 1 week stays were i was given a visitors visa and 4 month stays were i was not.

if i get into the country but am not issued a visa am i allowed to stay the whole six months?

do i just go to the border and hope they decide not to deny me?
or, do i need to apply for a visitors visa via immigrations cervices and the whole mailing in a form?

also from what i've been reading here some people seem to feel its best not to be honest about how long you intend to stay? which leads back to my first question.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a US citizen, you do not need a visit visa. Unless the border control stamps your passport with a date you have to leave by, you can stay for up to 6 months. If border control does not believe that you will leave at the end of your visa, they can deny you entry or they can also shorten your time. I don't think it's that common for people to be denied entry. If you show up with all your wordly belongings, they might get suspicious though.