+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

This is how you succeed in Canada

timnox00

Nov 2, 2008
A true eye opener for all those who are planning to migrate and kudos to Josh for this wonderful writeup.

Josh you and your family are tough, when the times get tough, the tough get going ,your post will surely help all prospective immigrants on this forum and bring out the best in them in their times of struggle in Canada.

BTW Congrats & let this Success be the forerunner of more success to follow in the future.

Knight

Star Member
Nov 11, 2009
Josh
i have no words to commnet on this mail but your mail will be a mile stone for us and eyes opening facts about our Dream Country.
most of us think that once we land at Canada/AUstralia/UK or NZ our worries will be over but friends fact is what Josh told us. life is not a bed of roses. Few questions Josh may be it will help others as well:

1. have you got any financial add for your kids? new born and the elders? as i heard Canadian gives some financial add to minors of certain ages? did you get any financial add once your twins borne?
2. Most of us mention the capital city as city of landing, is it mandatory to saty in the same city or mandatory to land in the same city?
3. before landing to canada is it possibel to hunt some jobs on Monster or other Job sites?
4. Job Recruitment agents do help people in getting job? (its very common in Australia and very successful as well)
5. how much time it takes to get eligible for Social Security, Bank Account, Medical Facility and PR Card?
6. which kind of certifications or Local education is required to get a job? (I am IT Professional and my Wife is MBA)
7. how much money a family/individual should have to start with?

i hope your answers will educate us all.

regards

Knight

uday_grover

Oct 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
A very good eye opner . I have gone through almost same condition when I was in U.K . But this time I am all set to go. Thanks for sharing your story as lots of people dont share there personal feelings. I see myself in your story. Thanks for encouraging me to go ahead (with precautions).
thanks a lot

CPA2CANADA

Jun 9, 2009
Calgary Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
London, United Kingdom
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 1, 2009
Doc's Request.
Jun 4, 2009
AOR Received.
Aug 12, 2009
Med's Request
Sep 16, 2009
Med's Done....
Oct 1, 2009
Passport Req..
Oct 20, 2009
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 15, 2009
LANDED..........
in July 8, 2010 (Toronto)
josh thanks for sharing this wonderful information..truly God is there to help you out....let me share this to my fellows.....thanks

rhino2008

Star Member
Dec 4, 2008
Hey Josh,
This is by far, the best post i have ever come across in this forum. very encouraging and so many guys will really read and appreciate it. on a personal level i struggled too not in your level but it my ways. Canada is tough but you gotta be tough to succeed. there is nothing easy in life and if you sit and wait for the easy stuff to come along, you'll be dissapointed.
Good luck so much and God bless you. i live in Calgary myself. dont ever give up in life. in Swahili we have a say that says, " Anayetafuta hachoki na akichoka amepata" in Eglish it translates to this, "the one that searches never gets tired and if he get tired, he got it". sounds funny but thats the truth. giving up is unforgivable as Vice President Joe Bidens once said.
Cheers.
Rhino

Josh

Nov 16, 2009
Thank you guys for all your posts/emails and your kind words, I feel humbled.

Let me try and answer some of the questions that are most common among the ones raised.

Before that I just want to apologise for some of the grammar mistakes and incorrect english in the original post. I just typed it sitting on my porch and posted it without proof reading it. I was kicking myself once I read it back.

So back to the questions:
I don't think it is really appropriate for me to advise on the relevant certifications that may help you as every one has a different background.
As for me, I was managing multiple projects and multiple project managers on different verticals back in India. I knew a thing or two about managing IT projects, I there fore took up ITIL certification. If I am not wrong you can get ITIL or Prince 2 certified in India as well.

My wife on the other hand, did CSC 1 & 2 and CFP certifications ( do a goggle on these and you will know what they stand for ).

I would suggest you do extensive research on the requirement for your line of work in Canada, look at as many job adverts and look at what qualifications or certifications employers are looking for. Check the curriculum/fees/duration and place of examination for these courses.

I have heard from someone but I am not fully sure of this, I was told that we can take up civil service examinations as well in Canada, not exactly like IAS or IPS but on those lines. I myself am thinking of putting my wife up for it. You guys should explore such possibilities as well.

mot

Nov 23, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
av
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
done. 7.5 overall
Hello Josh,

Thanks a million for sharing your story. Very humbling and inspiring. Your story is etched in my memory and will always be the reference when we land. Very reassuring that when we give life what it takes we can only get the best from it. Principles always works!!

rinks25us

Star Member
Nov 3, 2009
Great job Josh...and thanks for your inputs...

On a different level, sometimes I consider myself and others just like the immigrants that come from poorest parts of Our nation to big cities and kind of struggles they have to go through... are we in a different boat than them except that one is in domestic waters and other in International waters. Goal is to go for a better life. Money is not the factor, personal view, that is driving people to immigrate for most of us, it is the quality of life. Some people have an apprehension that I will not work at McDonalds etc for a low paying job etc ... as I have been such and such in my home country or other places etc... I guess when we are immigrating we need to immigrate mentally too rather than just physically carrying ourself into the materialistic comforts... need to priortiz our life...

If I sound sarcastic, that's the language not my intentions.. once again thanks a lot for sharing ur experience and it was an eye opener...

commonwealth

Nov 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rinks- You just touched a key subject which is how to define "success"... you will find different motivations and quality of life is one of them.
Other point i would like to bring to the table ... is it "worth" the struggle or success means "happiness"...
One thing for sure, challenges bring the best of people.... we human know how to adapt, if we apply our abilities.

my 2 cents.

tridmax

Sep 30, 2009
The Josh it self is in your name body,
I have gone through almost same conditions when I was in Dubai, Australia. But this time I am all set to go in USA after struggling in my life. Offcourse my wife encouragement is plus point and without her I may not reach up to this level. Thanks for sharing your story as lots of people don't share there personal feelings. I can see myself in your story. Thanks for encouraging me to go ahead and I used it. I got recently Canada PR and started jobs researching in my field. We can't blame to anybody without struggle, bad experiences teaches you be a strong man and always think positive, keep on try, rest leave it to God. That is what I strongly believe in it. Really I started to cry whenever I read this story.
Keep it up and good luck for your double twins!!
Cheers!

Oloye

Oct 4, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Men! Just the third post and it shook the whole forum from the foundation. You have talked about when it was rossy (In India), When adventure started(When preparing to move to Canada),when it was rough (Just arrived in Canada), when it was very very rough (When you moeved to one room and job stopped with more bundles of joy-angels), when it was getting better (Certification and getting better job) ----------- We hope to hear when you get back to the top. Thanks for the post.

Oloye

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Your post gave me some encouragement. I just got my COPR and am leaving tomorrow to land in Toronto. Luckily I am single and my parents have already established a home there.

I know what the job situation is like there and I was depressed of the thought that I may end up flipping burgers or delivering pizzas just to avoid burning up my savings in Canada despite having a Ph.D. But you let me know that all immigrants tend to go through some kind of hardship and flipping burgers is nothing to be ashamed of, especially if it's just a transition.

I wish you and your family all the best and thank you for sharing your advice and encouragement.

CanadaVisa4me

Star Member
Aug 5, 2009
Please can you answer this question that I posed here

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/this-is-how-you-succeed-in-canada-t29170.0.html;msg168814#msg168814

I think many of us from India, who are deciding on Canada will find it greatly useful.

Biblo

Star Member
Jun 1, 2009
Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-Jul-2008
Doc's Request.
01- Dec - 2008
IELTS Request
01- Dec - 2008
Thanks Josh for sharing it with us, but you have not responded to one query raised by CanadaVisa4me. Anyway here goes the question again;

What is it that makes life in Canada better than your previous life in India where you obviously had a great job and probably could send your kids to great schools? I have not been to Canada, but was wondering if life in India is that bad that it is better to go through so much hardship to get to a position which is still below your previous position/title in India? What about life in Canada does it make it better than your previous life in India.

Your message seems so honest and would be helpful if you open my eyes to what I don't know about Canada