Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
24-10-2017 Submitted 01-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2017
LANDED..........
before end of the year
I'd like to supply a perspective of a kid who immigrated with parents almost 3 decades ago.

Some have questioned why would parents leave their prime occupations and suffer in Canada? I asked myself the same question as an adult, because my father was a doctor who even worked for the WHO while my mom was an RN with a very successful side business. They did it for us kids. Despite all the luxury and private schooling we had, they wanted us to live in a society of fairness, democracy and equality for all. Even with our comfortable lives, they ensured that we were humble and did not think of ourselves as better than anyone else. I would like to add that this attribute/mind-set is also one key to success in Canada. If you don't want your kids and family to suffer, ensure your kids know how to work hard and that they aren't spoilt.

I will tell you that I never walked to school before I moved to Canada. Yet when I had to do that, ride my bike or take public transport, I did not balk at it. Those materialistic things were never something we took pride in. What we knew our parents valued the most was our family, respect and doing well in school and that did not change when we moved to Canada. We, the kids did not know nor notice a difference in our financial circumstances outside of not having a car or living in a tiny apartment. Only when we looked back on it as adults did we realize how difficult it must have been for them.

We too landed in Vancouver, so I can definitely relate to the OP's story. Vancouver, as beautiful as it is, is not as diverse as Toronto and you get a lot more subtle discrimination veiled behind a "nice/friendly" veneer. My father worked as a research assistant, because during that time, foreign physicians were required to sign a letter as part of immigration that they will not practice in Canada. The family lived in a 2-bedroom apartment in our first 3 years. Mom worked as a nurse and picked up an extra part-time shift at another hospital.

Childcare is EXPENSIVE in Canada. So, those who ask why leave the children behind, imagine spending as much as your salary each month to pay for child care. Only recently are they offering full-day school for children under 6yrs. Also, you may run into some unsafe situations for your child like my mom did with some private daycares. Fortunately for my parents, my sister and I were in our early teens so we could mind our toddler sibling which helped immensely. We would do the same at-the-door hand-off with my mom in the mornings as the OP mentioned (Dad landed 6 months after us). The age of the children poses its own challenges and advantages. If you need more details and tips ask and I will explain.

Through it all, my parents persevered. We moved into a townhouse in year 3 and since then, have progressively moved up and become a Canadian success story supported by safety net that Canada provides for those willing to work hard . All three of us have finished university, own our homes and investment property. I will tell you this though: We have never used government assistance in Canada. Not everyone is as fortunate as I am, so I am not trying to offend anyone, but my mentality is that so long as McDonalds is open and I am able-bodied, why would I take government assistance? The mentality that such jobs or even a step-down in one's career during hard times is beneath you will hold you back in Canada.

I am in the process of sponsoring my husband and regaining a whole new admiration for my parents. Filling out all these forms makes me wonder how they did it in the late '80s without a computer and forums like these.

Canada is a land of opportunity - even more so than the USA. We are close enough to benefit from the things that make the US great, but different enough in the things that matter too. Canada levels the playing field for all despite what one's status is in one's original country. If you don't have qualifications, so long as your brain is as good as the next person and you study/work hard, you will achieve some great results with the right attitude.

It is verrry easy to be lazy in Canada. If you want to sleep, watch TV or surf the internet all day, you most likely could, but is that what you came here to do? Don't fall into the comfort. Don't lose the core of who you are, don't fall into the traps of trying to take advantage of the system, don't compare yourself to others and you will do well.

Reactions: ozodinobi

tarvinderz

Apr 2, 2017
hey buddy thanks for sharing your info and story.
helping alot and made me understand what to do next.
I just want you little help.
I am starting my career with analytics, also known as Business analysis. its a job where knowledge in tools are preferred, tools like [MS Excel, VBA, SAS]
I am currently working in backend operations in Gurgaon, India. I know my current role has no value in Canada, but i heard about Bsiness Analyst role.
If you could help me provide some more info about this profile's availability in canada. I will be really thankful to you.
I dnt want to trust interent results about job availability in canada.
I want some human to help me find the answer. and i guess i am aproaching correct human for this.

Looking forward to you response.

Have a blessed and happy life :)

waitingInTO

Nov 14, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
AVO
App. Filed.......
11-10-2016
AOR Received.
02-11-2016
File Transfer...
15-11-2016
Med's Request
24-10-2017
Med's Done....
Upfront - passed
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
24-10-2017 Submitted 01-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2017
LANDED..........
before end of the year
tarvinderz said:
hey buddy thanks for sharing your info and story.
helping alot and made me understand what to do next.
I just want you little help.
I am starting my career with analytics, also known as Business analysis. its a job where knowledge in tools are preferred, tools like [MS Excel, VBA, SAS]
I am currently working in backend operations in Gurgaon, India. I know my current role has no value in Canada, but i heard about Bsiness Analyst role.
If you could help me provide some more info about this profile's availability in canada. I will be really thankful to you.
I dnt want to trust interent results about job availability in canada.
I want some human to help me find the answer. and i guess i am aproaching correct human for this.

Looking forward to you response.

Have a blessed and happy life :)
Business analysis (BA, BSA) IS in great demand in Canada - especially in the financial sector. That said, if you run into the "no canadian experience" answer, consider non-financial. Also, note that the banks and big organizations are finally embracing Agile software development, so familiarizing yourself in how Business Analysis is done in the non-traditional way will help you tremendously.