Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Aug 22 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 24 2011
LANDED..........
Next Week! =)
Majority of immigration consultants are like this the promise the world and more and then when time is up they just look the other way like nothing happened, and if you try to say something they will defend themselves saying all kind of absurd stuff they don’t even now what they are saying in an intent to make you look like you are the one crooked or unethical. I learned this the hard way when I first applied though FSW and turned out to be all a scam and false promises. If anyone on this forum has not started their application yet one good piece of advice do not use and waste money on immigration consultants, they will not find you a job, they will not speed up the process they will lie to get you hooked and get your money. All the info you need is on www.CIC.com there is everything you need and there is also numbers where to call if you have questions in any province of Canada...

Cheers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
guillej10 said:
All the info you need is on www.CIC.com there is everything you need and there is also numbers where to call if you have questions in any province of Canada...
You probably mean http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp :)

But true, I have heard many people say that they should have saved their money instead of hiring a consultant. A bad consultant can often hurt your case if they are not on top of things. The applicant doesn't know any more what is going on with their case because everything is going through the consultant and meanwhile the consultant may not be notifying the applicant early enough that more documents are needed or they are not mailing them in on time.

guillej10

Feb 5, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2010
Nomination.....
14-05-2010
AOR Received.
16-09-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
March 15 2011 (NY Office)
Med's Request
16-09-2010
Med's Done....
24-09-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Aug 22 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 24 2011
LANDED..........
Next Week! =)
You got it Leon same happened to me it got to a point where I was telling him what to do where to call and then I realized the guy was completely lost on the process did not know a lot of things, he could have applied through AINP and didn't so I called Alberta Immigration and they really helped me out and after 6 month of being running around with this so call consultant I applied for my Nomination got it before getting any response from the other process with him. and I am at the latest stage of my process while a friend of mine kept on going with this consultant and is far from getting his PR.

When I called him to cancel the services with him he didn’t know what to do he even threat on my, insult me. So I just told him to send a cancellation letter to CIC and he didn’t so I have to write a letter stating everything that have happened and they finally cancelled the application, because all he wanted was to keep up with the process so when I received some kind of answer from CIC he was going to be able to charge me with the other 50% of the agreement. CROOKED!!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to remove a consultant as your representative, you should use the "Use of a representative form", see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/representative.asp

You should also notify your representative that he is no longer representing you.

Here's how to file a complaint about a representative: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/representative/complaints.asp

guillej10

Feb 5, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2010
Nomination.....
14-05-2010
AOR Received.
16-09-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Med's Request
16-09-2010
Med's Done....
24-09-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Aug 22 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 24 2011
LANDED..........
Next Week! =)
Like I said I was using that representative for my preveious FSW application which I asked to withdraw because I got nominated and went through another program.... But thank you very much Leon....

bawaiis

Mar 9, 2011
I think none of the writers here is from India and that's the reason all are writing without understanding the business tactics here and my main concern. Am I failing to make you all understand what exactly I meant?
Anyways, rjessome, I know I am not a CSIC member, but as per IMM 5476, anyone can represent a client under clause 6 in section B. Most of the agents sign the form IMM 5476 under this clause for the clients whose file has to be applied under FSW 29 category program.

As far as getting paid from registered consultant or lawyer is concerned, give me just one name who would NOT charge for getting a job offer/PNP approval and strictly restricts me to charge from the client and instead, pay me ofr whatever services I render to the applicant. Which means, the deserving candidate will settle in Canada without spending a single penny. Really? is that possible? I never knew/heard that the candidate does not have to pay anything and instead the consultant/lawyer pays his local representative. Friends, I swear, I won't charge a single penny from the applicant and I shall rush the consultant/immigration lawyer hundreds of genuine and deserving candidates who would contribute to the economy of Canada. If any of you is a consultant or lawyer then appoint me as your agent or atleast refer one such to me.

lastly, I just received a mail today from a very well known and reputed immigration company which first offered me to become it’s representative and when I replied them showing my willingness to become their representative and asking them to send further details, they replied me back stating they will appoint me as their representative if I pay them CA$ 7800. If such is an amount jsut to become their representative, then guess how much would be their processing charges. Any say?

rjessome said:
The practice of buying and selling AEOs is currently under investigation.

Leon is right, paying a recruiter or an employer for a job offer is illegal.

Unless you are a registered CSIC member or Canadian lawyer, YOU are not legally allowed to be a representative in the process. However, you could work as an agent who refers qualified individuals to representatives where you would get paid ONLY IF the applicants met the requirements of the immigration process/program for which they are applying. But you would be paid by the Consultant or Lawyer, not by the applicant. Recruiters do not charge money for the types of processes you are discussing. At least not ethical recruiters. Those costs would be absorbed by the recruiter as they would/should be getting paid by the employer to find them a candidate. Most recruitment firms work on a contingency basis and the fees paid by the employer can be significant depending upon the position and salary.

Sadly, this is an area where fraud and illegal/questionable practices are rampant. CIC is going to look over this process is more depth and once Bill C-35 comes into force, I expect that prosecutions will be more widespread in Canada. That's my hope anyway.

bawaiis

Mar 9, 2011
Reddy Facts said:
This is why many deserving candidates are waiting endlessly in the immigration que. This is why deserving candidates are unemployed as the nondeserving are getting away by bribe. Shame on the consultant.
Please read my reply to the main posts in the begining and 'put the shame' on those registered consultants/immigration lawyers charging hefty amount and not one me. I am just a tiny fish of a big ocean. Even I am against this system.

Reddy Facts

Sep 1, 2010
bawaiis said:
Please read my reply to the main posts in the begining and 'put the shame' on those registered consultants/immigration lawyers charging hefty amount and not one me. I am just a tiny fish of a big ocean. Even I am against this system.
Yes yes all the small fish (small companies) start their business from the kitchen table. Gradually they rent a guest house to get Gultis from Hyderabad and then they are registered LLC. They contain end words in title "Tech Solutions" "solutions" "Management Solutions" "Business Solutions" "Systems Ltd" or "International" that organization is owned by Jesus Christ and have "Solution" for everything. Similarly your immigration racket will have 100% assurance of immigration, placement assitance, guest house or money back etc.

angelbrat

Oct 31, 2009
I would to set up an experiment...advertise myself as an unmarried PR of Canada, willing to marry someone for money, to enable them to come to Canada.

I won't do it because the whole system disgusts me but sure would love to see how many responded (also how much money I could get... ;D ;D ;D)

guillej10

Feb 5, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-05-2010
Nomination.....
14-05-2010
AOR Received.
16-09-2010
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Med's Request
16-09-2010
Med's Done....
24-09-2010
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Aug 22 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 24 2011
LANDED..........
Next Week! =)
angelbrat said:
I would to set up an experiment...advertise myself as an unmarried PR of Canada, willing to marry someone for money, to enable them to come to Canada.

I won't do it because the whole system disgusts me but sure would love to see how many responded (also how much money I could get... ;D ;D ;D)
Quite a bit I bet especially if you post yourself in a russian web page...LOL

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bawaiis said:
I think none of the writers here is from India and that's the reason all are writing without understanding the business tactics here and my main concern. Am I failing to make you all understand what exactly I meant?
Anyways, rjessome, I know I am not a CSIC member, but as per IMM 5476, anyone can represent a client under clause 6 in section B. Most of the agents sign the form IMM 5476 under this clause for the clients whose file has to be applied under FSW 29 category program.
First of all, if you read IMM 5476, Section 6, you will see that only CSIC members, Canadian lawyers and Quebec notaries can be PAID representatives. If you are indicated as an UNPAID representative yet your are paid by the applicant, that is misrepresentation on the part of the applicant and if CIC finds out, could result in misrepresentation and refusal for the applicant.

bawaiis said:
As far as getting paid from registered consultant or lawyer is concerned, give me just one name who would NOT charge for getting a job offer/PNP approval and strictly restricts me to charge from the client and instead, pay me ofr whatever services I render to the applicant. Which means, the deserving candidate will settle in Canada without spending a single penny. Really? is that possible? I never knew/heard that the candidate does not have to pay anything and instead the consultant/lawyer pays his local representative. Friends, I swear, I won't charge a single penny from the applicant and I shall rush the consultant/immigration lawyer hundreds of genuine and deserving candidates who would contribute to the economy of Canada. If any of you is a consultant or lawyer then appoint me as your agent or atleast refer one such to me.
There is a difference between paying for the immigration legal services that are provided by a lawyer or consultant and FINDING an applicant a job. They are two very separate functions. If the applicant finds a job and then hires a representative to get the job offer approved by HRSDC (in the case of an AEO) or by the respective Provincial Nominee Program, and then prepare the application to apply for PR, these are immigration functions and it is legal to charge for immigration legal fees.

Sadly, I am aware of the activities you describe and I know that fraud is rampant, especially in your part of the world. And I also know that there are lawyers and registered consultants who are complicent in these actions. That's why the government in Canada is investigating and ready to invoke tougher legislation. The lines are blurred and the loopholes are many at the present time. I'm hoping Bill C-35 will give the government and CIC offices more "teeth" to prevent and prosecute what you are describing.

Look, I am not without compassion to what you are describing. It is the "real world" you are living in and as much as others might want to judge you for taking part, it happens all the time and not just in India. There are plenty of consultants and lawyers who do things the right way but here's the catch. They only get involved AFTER the applicant already has the job offer unless an employer in Canada has approached them to help them find foreign employees. They then should get their agents involved to work as recruiters but then again, lines get blurred about what the applicant is actually paying for, i.e. the job offer or representation for the work permit, PNP or AEO. A good lawyer/consultant will make sure the applicant knows the difference.

I know it can be dirty business. Frankly, it's much easier NOT to get involved at all.

Hope42010

Star Member
Oct 15, 2009
Brazil
rjessome said:
I know it can be dirty business. Frankly, it's much easier NOT to get involved at all.
Sad but its a 110% true. On the other hand... nah never mind... you know what I mean. :-X

Good debate, nice to see that some people still believe on what is right. Well done!

bawaiis

Mar 9, 2011
rjessome said:
First of all, if you read IMM 5476, Section 6, you will see that only CSIC members, Canadian lawyers and Quebec notaries can be PAID representatives. If you are indicated as an UNPAID representative yet your are paid by the applicant, that is misrepresentation on the part of the applicant and if CIC finds out, could result in misrepresentation and refusal for the applicant.
Thank you rjessome for your valuable information. I did not know about this. But, if an applicant, on his own, contacts a Canadian employer gets an offer letter along with LMO/AEO/PNP approval, OR if any applicant is eligible to apply under FSW (29 categories) program, but is unable to prepare his file, fill up forms etc and comes to agents like us to get his/her file prepared by us, then how are we going to get remunerated. In both the above cases, there is no involvement of any immigration lawyer or CSIC member.

rjessome said:
There is a difference between paying for the immigration legal services that are provided by a lawyer or consultant and FINDING an applicant a job. They are two very separate functions. If the applicant finds a job and then hires a representative to get the job offer approved by HRSDC (in the case of an AEO) or by the respective Provincial Nominee Program, and then prepare the application to apply for PR, these are immigration functions and it is legal to charge for immigration legal fees.
Fine, that is applicable to the registered members/immigration lawyers. What if the applicant finds the services charges of these people high (FYI, the fees for registered members ranges from $2000 - $4000 to execute the federal process)? The offshore agents like us charge anywhere between $500 - $2000 to execute the same work. The reason other than low fees comparatively such applicants prefer services by agents like us is we are local. The client can reach us personally every now and then to clear the queries pertaining to their documents, forms, photos etc. We fill up forms in presence of applicants and their family members and get their signatures. Even if the client lives in other city/region, we visit them personally and help them prepare their documents, attestations, affidavits from court etc, form filling and signature. The same is not possible in case the applicant hires onshore registered consultants/lawyers. All advise/guidance/instructions are given through emails/phones which the applicant may not find convenient. Not all clients are smart to prepare their file by taking instructions through emails/phones. I know how inconvenient it is and how the process is delayed in cases where the applicant and consultant both are overseas. My ex-Canadian employer's success ratio was 98%. The reason was I was there to take care of entire federal process for whole over Asia from here. At times I even visited overseas in case of bulk clients and prepare their file staying there 3-4 days.

Now let's talk the other side. Suppose if the applicant approaches the registered members/lawyers in Canada to get his federal process done through him/her by accepting to pay his/her fee, say $2000. Now the same registered member/lawyer has his/her authorized representative in the same city/region/country and he/she directs the applicant to coordinate with his/her the representative and he/she on the other side directs the representative to take care of process. Now, the representative starts working on the applicant's file by carrying all work as mentioned above and what he gets as his remuneration from the registered lawyers/members? 10% - 20% of the fees paid by the applicant that is, $200 - $400. Would you work for such a small amount? You know the process does not finish in a day. It takes 8-15 days to complete the file. Plus the other expenses.

See crows are black everywhere. If someone is sitting in Canada doesn't mean he/she is 100% honest. Suppose if an applicant hires registered consultant/lawyer for his federal process and if there is any miscommunication, incomplete document, or the client is unaware of where to get a particular legal document obtained from which either results into delay in process or file being rejected. Is the registered consultant going to pay him back? The client is losing $2000 - $4000 and is not getting any outcome. The registered consultant/lawyer will raise his arms saying, the client failed to provide him so and so documents otherwise he has done his job. What job? Incomplete file submission? Here CIC won't say anything but they have restriction on agents like us who charge from the clients by working hard and giving them 100% and charging from the clients only if the client is successfully granted visa. On one hand they say only PAID representative can charge and on the other hand they say they DO NOT encourage to apply through the registered representative.

It's all complicated. I think I should change my profession.

rjessome said:
Sadly, I am aware of the activities you describe and I know that fraud is rampant, especially in your part of the world. And I also know that there are lawyers and registered consultants who are complicent in these actions. That's why the government in Canada is investigating and ready to invoke tougher legislation. The lines are blurred and the loopholes are many at the present time. I'm hoping Bill C-35 will give the government and CIC offices more "teeth" to prevent and prosecute what you are describing.
They should definitely. But they should also think about the off-shore agents like us.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bawaiis said:
But they should also think about the off-shore agents like us.
They no doubt do, and maybe that is why they want the practice stopped.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bawaiis said:
Thank you rjessome for your valuable information. I did not know about this. But, if an applicant, on his own, contacts a Canadian employer gets an offer letter along with LMO/AEO/PNP approval, OR if any applicant is eligible to apply under FSW (29 categories) program, but is unable to prepare his file, fill up forms etc and comes to agents like us to get his/her file prepared by us, then how are we going to get remunerated. In both the above cases, there is no involvement of any immigration lawyer or CSIC member.
You have to understand that hiring an AUTHORIZED representative is about PROTECTING the client. If an UNauthorized agent completes the forms incorrectly, there is NO recourse for the client. There is no method of complaint or discipline or getting the money they paid for service back. There is no way of protecting the public so that others are not victims of an agent that is not trained in immigration law nor regulated by a Society. Authorized representatives carry errors and ommissions insurance to help compensate a client who's representative did not represent them correctly (ethically and legally).

bawaiis said:
Fine, that is applicable to the registered members/immigration lawyers. What if the applicant finds the services charges of these people high (FYI, the fees for registered members ranges from $2000 - $4000 to execute the federal process)? The offshore agents like us charge anywhere between $500 - $2000 to execute the same work. The reason other than low fees comparatively such applicants prefer services by agents like us is we are local. The client can reach us personally every now and then to clear the queries pertaining to their documents, forms, photos etc. We fill up forms in presence of applicants and their family members and get their signatures. Even if the client lives in other city/region, we visit them personally and help them prepare their documents, attestations, affidavits from court etc, form filling and signature. The same is not possible in case the applicant hires onshore registered consultants/lawyers. All advise/guidance/instructions are given through emails/phones which the applicant may not find convenient. Not all clients are smart to prepare their file by taking instructions through emails/phones. I know how inconvenient it is and how the process is delayed in cases where the applicant and consultant both are overseas. My ex-Canadian employer's success ratio was 98%. The reason was I was there to take care of entire federal process for whole over Asia from here. At times I even visited overseas in case of bulk clients and prepare their file staying there 3-4 days.

Now let's talk the other side. Suppose if the applicant approaches the registered members/lawyers in Canada to get his federal process done through him/her by accepting to pay his/her fee, say $2000. Now the same registered member/lawyer has his/her authorized representative in the same city/region/country and he/she directs the applicant to coordinate with his/her the representative and he/she on the other side directs the representative to take care of process. Now, the representative starts working on the applicant's file by carrying all work as mentioned above and what he gets as his remuneration from the registered lawyers/members? 10% - 20% of the fees paid by the applicant that is, $200 - $400. Would you work for such a small amount? You know the process does not finish in a day. It takes 8-15 days to complete the file. Plus the other expenses.

See crows are black everywhere. If someone is sitting in Canada doesn't mean he/she is 100% honest. Suppose if an applicant hires registered consultant/lawyer for his federal process and if there is any miscommunication, incomplete document, or the client is unaware of where to get a particular legal document obtained from which either results into delay in process or file being rejected. Is the registered consultant going to pay him back? The client is losing $2000 - $4000 and is not getting any outcome. The registered consultant/lawyer will raise his arms saying, the client failed to provide him so and so documents otherwise he has done his job. What job? Incomplete file submission? Here CIC won't say anything but they have restriction on agents like us who charge from the clients by working hard and giving them 100% and charging from the clients only if the client is successfully granted visa. On one hand they say only PAID representative can charge and on the other hand they say they DO NOT encourage to apply through the registered representative.
You know, it sounds like the biggest complaint that you have with the consultant or lawyer you were working with is that you feel you were not paid fairly for the services you provided. Fair enough. Find another one that is honest and will pay more for your services. You mention 10 to 20%. I know consultants and lawyers that pay 40 to 50% to their agents. An agent should receive training and guidance from their principal (lawyer/consultant) and this pairing should act as a team for the client. This kind of team (when they are knowledgable and honest) is a HUGE asset to a client. I'm not discounting the value of a good agent! However, YOU, acting alone, cannot be held professionally liable for any mistake that is made on a file! You are also not trained to deal with other things that can and DO come up in immigration applications. What if their are inadmissibility issues? ARC? Rehab? etc., etc. Do you know how to handle this? You weren't even aware of the misrepresentation that I described earlier. What if CIC makes an error on a file? It happens! You would not be authorized to request reconsideration from the Program Manager or NHQ. Would you know how?

It's easy to justify using an unauthorized agent over a consultant or lawyer when the application looks easy. But what about when there are difficulties that arise that you are not trained to recognize or to handle? What is the client supposed to do then?

Look, a client MUST take responsibility for their application whether they work with agents/consultants/lawyers or not. If a client does not respond to their representative to provide information that is requested, who is at fault? Are you saying that it's your fault if you ask for something over and over again from a client and they don't provide it? No, it isn't. It HAS to be a team effort with the client 100% invested in the success of the application. If they are not, the application will be refused, no matter who represents them. So using your example does not wash with me. Any client who expects that they don't have to do any work in this process is crazy and there is no excuse for them. And YES, they may get their money back! Retainer agreements (contracts) signed by the client and representative outline payment for work done on a file. If the work is NOT done, the client should get their money back! Again, if there is an issue with that, the client has a mechanisim of complaint against an AUTHORIZED representative and a way of getting their money back. They have NO recourse with an unauthorized agent.

I'm always leary of anyone, authorized or not, who gives a 100% guarantee in immigration. That is simply impossible. I don't know why people continue to believe that. So buyer beware.

Yes, no one has to hire a representative of any kind for application to CIC. And just to correct you, what CIC says is that hiring a representative will not guarantee success of an application nor speed up the process. CIC does NOT say it discourages an applicant from hiring a representative. You know what causes delays and often refusals in immigration applications? Incorrect preparation! Not understanding the requirements and leaving things out! Making mistakes! I don't have to hire someone to do my tax return either but I do because I know nothing about tax law and I don't want to nor do I have the time to learn it! But millions of people prepare them on their own and that's fine too. It is the client's CHOICE, the same with immigration. If a client is confident that they can adequately prepare a successful application on their own, they should DO IT! Nobody is saying that they should hire anyone if they don't want to or need to.

I know that being authorized does not guarantee honesty either. There's nothing I can say about that. But at least, if a client CHOOSES to hire a representative, they have some measure of protection, complaint and getting their money back if the representative is authorized and registered with a governing body. If they hire a bad agent, they have nothing. What would you choose?