+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things to take along with you to canada?

Kin021

Jun 29, 2016
Hello guys,

Just wanted to ask you a few things.

- Blankets? Do we carry them along or buy it from Canada?
- How much luggage is allowed? Any airline that allows more luggage?
- Are food items allowed?
- What items are necessary to carry along other than clothes?

Thanks.

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
Kin021 said:
Hello guys,

Just wanted to ask you a few things.

- Blankets? Do we carry them along or buy it from Canada?
- How much luggage is allowed? Any airline that allows more luggage?
- Are food items allowed?
- What items are necessary to carry along other than clothes?

Thanks.
-You may carry a light blanket with you if you want.
-total 53 kgs allowed 2 pieces of checkin baggage 23 kgs each and 7 kg handbag but air india gives 25 kg checkin baggage.
-other things depends on you as per the needs you can buy jackets all from there as according to the weather of the country you ll find good ones there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The airline does not allow more luggage for students. Many food items are not allowed into Canada and will be taken from you at customs. Generally it's better not to take any food items to Canada and buy them here. Blankets take up a great deal of room in your luggage. I would buy them here.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
paras.arora said:
-food items are allowed in checkin but no dairy items if you want to take some like ghee as indian parents give them to you :p dont declare it on the airport when they give you the form for the same.
It's a lot more than dairy items that aren't allowed. Sounds like you're not familiar with the rules.

Not declaring food is a horrible idea. It's an immigration law violation to lie on a customs for and can result in hundreds or even thousands of dollars of fines. Just because one person wasn't caught doesn't mean the next one won't be. Hopefully you realize they do random searches and also sometimes have trained dogs in the area to stiff out illegal food (I saw someone get caught the last time I was at the airport).

Lying on a customs form is an idiotic way to begin your stay in Canada. If you want problems, lie on a customs form. Horrible advice...

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
scylla said:
It's a lot more than dairy items that aren't allowed. Sounds like you're not familiar with the rules.

Not declaring food is a horrible idea. It's an immigration law violation to lie on a customs for and can result in hundreds or even thousands of dollars of fines. Just because one person wasn't caught doesn't mean the next one won't be. Hopefully you realize they do random searches and also sometimes have trained dogs in the area to stiff out illegal food (I saw someone get caught the last time I was at the airport).

Lying on a customs form is an idiotic way to begin your stay in Canada. If you want problems, lie on a customs form. Horrible advice...
I know thats why i mentioned that specially i can give suggestions only and if they find any dairy item they just take it out, i experienced both of them though many people do this (AFAIK) but its a suggestion as i personally did that.
It depends on individual's choices at the end.
I am just talking about the things i mentioned nothing else i know i wrote food items allowed but its like common which one are allowed or not when we travel even airlines gives a lot of instructions with their ticket about this.
I clearly want to mention here that this is just a suggestion as per personal experience don't consider it as a misguidance or something take advice from everyone here and take your personal decision, I am not an expert.
Cheers.

Gymguy

Jul 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2016
LANDED..........
July End
List in the below link surprises me as you are allowed to bring cheese.
I am planning to take some company packed Indian spices and sauce only.
Even though they are permitted but I am still going to declare them to be on the
safe side of law of the land.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
paras.arora said:
I clearly want to mention here that this is just a suggestion as per personal experience don't consider it as a misguidance or something take advice from everyone here and take your personal decision, I am not an expert.
Suggesting someone lie on a customs form is misguidance. You advised someone to commit a crime on entry into Canada.

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
scylla said:
Suggesting someone lie on a customs form is misguidance. You advised someone to commit a crime on entry into Canada.
If you are saying this as a crime or a serious offense then it depends on you according to me its not and many indians are criminal because of this including me but i like this crime :p
No offence.

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
Bs65 said:
if you do not declare food and you are found out you will be fined plus why if it is an initial PR landing start on the wrong side of the law unless you would intend to keep breaking the law. Chances are customs will not care about some food items if they are declared and by the way Canada does have food the Red Cross delivers on a regular basis. Will you be at the airport to pay the OPs fine ? No offense
Cool, @Kin021 don't take any food item with you its not allowed its a crime, its my bad apologies everyone for my post i repeat don't take any food items along.
I hope now it cools down everything here, No offence.
Cheers.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
No offense taken and i deleted my post anyway . Just important remember some posters take as given any advice posted on this forum and we are not there when they follow that advice even if we ourselves stray from whats legal or not.

Kin021

Jun 29, 2016
Gymguy said:
List in the below link surprises me as you are allowed to bring cheese.
I am planning to take some company packed Indian spices and sauce only.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990
Thank you for sharing the link. I wanted to take along just few nuts. But they have mentioned they need some certificate there. Do you have any idea regarding that ?

paras.arora

Star Member
Jul 7, 2016
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
june 2016
VISA ISSUED...
july 2016
LANDED..........
august 2016
Bs65 said:
No offense taken and i deleted my post anyway . Just important remember some posters take as given any advice posted on this forum and we are not there when they follow that advice even if we ourselves stray from whats legal or not.
No worries i edited my post i don't want anyone to blame me for any problem, my intention was not bad i said that according to personal experience but its fine all settled now.
Thanks.

Gymguy

Jul 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2016
LANDED..........
July End
@ KIN.. I was planning as well but after reading through the list I am having second thoughts.

I guess I will survive without nuts and just follow rules to be a 'good nut' :D

Kin021

Jun 29, 2016
Gymguy said:
@ KIN.. I was planning as well but after reading through the list I am having second thoughts.

I guess I will survive without nuts and just follow rules to be a 'good nut' :D
Lol. Thanks a lot for helping :) When are you planning to travel ? Which college/uni ?