+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things to do when you first land in Canada with PR and leave immediately

prazi

Mar 15, 2018
Hi All,

I got my PR approved. I live in the US and work here. I dont want to move to Canada yet. I will in the future though. So I thought I will go to Canada and get my paper work done. (Because my deadline is in April 2019)
This is my first land in Canada as a PR. Since I wanna come back to the US. What are the things I should get done to keep my PR. Thank you.

Prazi

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi All,

I got my PR approved. I live in the US and work here. I dont want to move to Canada yet. I will in the future though. So I thought I will go to Canada and get my paper work done. (Because my deadline is in April 2019)
This is my first land in Canada as a PR. Since I wanna come back to the US. What are the things I should get done to keep my PR. Thank you.

Prazi
The only thing that needs to be done is to obtain your SIN. Everything else can, and in some cases (healthcare) must, wait until you settle.

prazi

Mar 15, 2018
The only thing that needs to be done is to obtain your SIN. Everything else can, and in some cases (healthcare) must, wait until you settle.
Thanks for the reply.
I dont want to move to Canada right now. I wanna come back to US after completing my paper work. So SIN is a must to keep my PR active? What else I should work on while I am in Canada. I want plan my trip thats why I wanna know all these. Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the reply.
I dont want to move to Canada right now. I wanna come back to US after completing my paper work. So SIN is a must to keep my PR active? What else I should work on while I am in Canada. I want plan my trip thats why I wanna know all these. Thanks
That's about it.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for the reply.
No, SIN is a pain to get if you don't have a valid PR card after the first year of being a Permanent Resident. Just makes sense to get it sorted asap.
The only thing that will keep your PR status safe is to be in compliance with the Residency Obligation requirements.

prazi

Mar 15, 2018
No, SIN is a pain to get if you don't have a valid PR card after the first year of being a Permanent Resident. Just makes sense to get it sorted asap.
The only thing that will keep your PR status safe is to be in compliance with the Residency Obligation requirements.
so what would you recommend?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Can I apply for my PR card without going to Canada?
No. You have to physically go to Canada to land as a Permanent Resident. The PR card is ordered via the landing process. That's when you can also apply for the SIN at the nearest Service Canada office.

Samoinp

May 30, 2017
How can I apply for SIN. Can I apply from US(by mail)?
If you are landing in Toronto airport, you can apply for one at the airport provided it is not a weekend. Plan your trip accordingly, also research other airports as well.