Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
Hello nice people,

As the title suggests it all, me and wife did permanent PR landing through road (Lewiston) on the 17th of August in our own car. At present staying in an Airbnb in GTA area, which we rented for a month.

These are the things we are supposed to do now:
1. Mandatory Quarantine for 14 days.

Post Quarantine:
1. Go to Service Canada & apply for SIN(No address proof needed as suggested by some here).
2. Apply for OHIP. (Don’t know the process yet).
3. Apply for DL. (Using our US DL History).
4. Apply for bank account. (Again what need to be provided as address proof?)
5. Finish the car inspection and registration with RIV.

Am I missing any other things here?Our plan is to startdoing all these things after the two weeks quarantine.Will we be able to accomplish them without a permanent address? Or do we need to find a rental place, get a lease and start applying for bank accounts etc.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for any ambiguity in my post.

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
1. need to provide temporary address details and can update the same after you find permanent one.
2. need address proof without which you cannot apply for OHIP. you will need to inquire about this when you go to service ONTARIO. or call them or check their site.
4. dont need address proof. only ID and SIN. they will ask to provide for address. if you know anyone who lives in the city its better to give their address than airbnb . then update it once you get your own.

Reactions: chancan

sladeyl11

Jul 27, 2020
Hello nice people,

As the title suggests it all, me and wife did permanent PR landing through road (Lewiston) on the 17th of August in our own car. At present staying in an Airbnb in GTA area, which we rented for a month.

Post Quarantine:
1. Go to Service Canada & apply for SIN(No address proof needed as suggested by some here).

Am I missing any other things here?Our plan is to startdoing all these things after the two weeks quarantine.Will we be able to accomplish them without a permanent address? Or do we need to find a rental place, get a lease and start applying for bank accounts etc.

Hi Chancan,

Could you please tell a little bit more about RIV registration process...My case is a little bit different from you as I'll ship my car to Canada from US. For RIV registration, did you really get a "recall clearance letter" and how much did it cost you? (I know our cars are different..just try to do a comparison here). Also, would it be very hard to register with RIV? Thanks,

ShystaG

Jul 30, 2020
Hello nice people,

Post Quarantine:

Hi,
Did you hire any movers for your stuff?

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hello nice people,

Post Quarantine:

After having your car pass RIV inspection to complete the importation process (they will send you a letter in the mail with a sticker for the car), you then need to have it inspected (and pass obviously) in order to be able to register it in ON. It's called a "Safety" inspection and is usually done at authorized mechanics/dealerships.

chancan

Jan 6, 2020
Philadelphia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
Hi Chancan,

Could you please tell a little bit more about RIV registration process...My case is a little bit different from you as I'll ship my car to Canada from US. For RIV registration, did you really get a "recall clearance letter" and how much did it cost you? (I know our cars are different..just try to do a comparison here). Also, would it be very hard to register with RIV? Thanks,
We got the email address of our car manufacturers recall division and sent them an email as per the requirement they had and got a reply with a recall clearance letter attached. We uploaded it on the RIV website as instructed.

chancan

Jan 6, 2020
Philadelphia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ontario
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2020
And today got totally screwed as yours truly blindly went to Service Ontario, waited in the line outside under hot sun for more than an hour only to be let out by a representative stating that SIN is not issued at Service Ontario but at Service Canada. To hell with my oversightedness.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
And today got totally screwed as yours truly blindly went to Service Ontario, waited in the line outside under hot sun for more than an hour only to be let out by a representative stating that SIN is not issued at Service Ontario but at Service Canada. To hell with my oversightedness.
Guarantee you are not the first one who has done this. It happens on a daily basis. If you know you are going to rent something soon would wait until you have a lease before getting your OHIP. You will qualify for coverage if by any chance you do need to seek treatment. You will just have to prove that you are entitled to coverage. Most likely you will not need medical care in the next few weeks. It is such a waste to have a card printed just to get it reprinted 2 weeks later. You also may have an issue giving temporary addresses.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guarantee you are not the first one who has done this. It happens on a daily basis. If you know you are going to rent something soon would wait until you have a lease before getting your OHIP. You will qualify for coverage if by any chance you do need to seek treatment. You will just have to prove that you are entitled to coverage. Most likely you will not need medical care in the next few weeks. It is such a waste to have a card printed just to get it reprinted 2 weeks later. You also may have an issue giving temporary addresses.
Getting the driver license is similar. You have a temporary permit printed just to get it reprinted 2 weeks later. The temporary address is a non issue because there would a new label replacing the temporary address.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Getting the driver license is similar. You have a temporary permit printed just to get it reprinted 2 weeks later. The temporary address is a non issue because there would a new label replacing the temporary address.
That may be the case in your province. You should have a drivers license with your permanent address where I live. It is important for ID purposes and for contact reasons in case of emergency. Stickers can wear off or people may be creating their own stickers.