vishal23489

Star Member
May 1, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello friends,

My sister is planning to take up 1 year post-graduate course in Canada and planning to take another 1 year course, once finishes the first one.

I need to know which things to consider in selecting program which can give her 3 years of PGWP.
I also read offer-letter needs to mention 1 year as course duration and not 8 months.
(Technically all semesters are of 4 months then what difference does it make if letter says 8 months or 1 year?)

* I apologize for posting the duplicate question again but there are lots of mixed reviews and creating a little bit of confusion.

Please do reply. Thanks in advance!

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hello friends,

My sister is planning to take up 1 year post-graduate course in Canada and planning to take another 1 year course, once finishes the first one.

I need to know which things to consider in selecting program which can give her 3 years of PGWP.
I also read offer-letter needs to mention 1 year as course duration and not 8 months.
(Technically all semesters are of 4 months then what difference does it make if letter says 8 months or 1 year?)

* I apologize for posting the duplicate question again but there are lots of mixed reviews and creating a little bit of confusion.

Under new rule, doing two 1 year programs will only give 2 years PGWP, not 3 years. Only if you do a 2 years and more program, will you get a 3 year PGWP.

Oct 16, 2018
Hello friends,

Under new rule, doing two 1 year programs will only give 2 years PGWP, not 3 years. Only if you do a 2 years and more program, will you get a 3 year PGWP.
No You are mistaken regarding the PGWP.

Post-graduation work permit length for 2 combined one year programs (1+1)!

Recently there was much confusion regarding the PGWP length/duration for students who completed 2 one year programs.

Finally official clarification from IRCC issued on 5th April, 2019 Below the is the text and the link from IRCC.

April 5, 2019

The instructions have been updated to clarify the validity for a post-graduate work permit issued to a student who completed more than one program at an eligible institution within 2 years.

Previous text
If the combined length is more than 2 years (or 1,800 hours for diploma of vocational studies [DVS] and attestation of vocational specialization [AVS] programs in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years.

New text
If the combined length of the programs is 2 years or longer (or 1,800 hours or longer for DVS and AVS programs in Quebec), the work permit may be valid for up to 3 years.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2019-post-grad-length.html?fbclid=IwAR3kKC0fPNJBR9OvK_IOVhZ-G2WMeogaGQc-bsu47MsNXOw9DrxF_nYxB0Y