+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things to Bring When Moving?

nb8285

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
Hello all,

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of things to bring when moving to Canada?
Some things are quite obvious, but some are easy to miss.

Thanks!

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
Take a box,
Fill it with your stuff...
Bring it with

tada!!! :)

just kidding. Honestly I'm not sure what you're asking... like... are you wondering what you need for certain weather? or are you wondering what you need for crossing the border?

LOL... you can bring a car... just make sure you have a block heater (my husband thought I had an electric car because I mentioned "plugging it in at night" once)! Yeah... that was one of my fave conversations in the beginning of our relationship /giggle

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
the old electronics won't work in Canada...u need adapters and headache...make sure what u want to bring would work...

furniture? i suppose not, kind of big and costly to ship...IKEA will b ur friend ;)

just bring what u need, whatever u miss u probably don't need that much right?

once u r in Canada u will know what u might still need to bring and what not....u can bring it even after, not necessarily at the first move (that's how we did)

SATDXB

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Aug-09
Doc's Request.
02-Oct-09
File Transfer...
06-Oct-09
Med's Request
18-08-10
Med's Done....
09-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2011 - Passport sent on 22-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2011
LANDED..........
19th May 2011- Thanks to Almighty!
nb8285 said:
Hello all,

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of things to bring when moving to Canada?
Some things are quite obvious, but some are easy to miss.

Thanks!
Please refer below post of CAPTAIN QORAX,

ITEMS TO CARRY FROM HOMELAND:
Very debatable... I would say, do your maths first. Is the extra baggage costs worth the effort? Most items are readily available in Canada, also at very reasonable price.

Ditto for Indian Food & Spices [Rice, Dal, Pickles, Papad (?) etc.] And ditto for Italian [Pasta, Lasagna etc.], Japanese [Sushi, Tapanyaki, Teriyaki etc.], Tex-Mex, you name it.

Besides, many items are also not permitted entry. And there is otherwise a quality/quantity restriction as well. Check the CBSA website for those. Moreover, hiring a container full of goods? I'd say No... No. It may not be worthwhile at all.

What To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Personal effects [for imdt use, large quantities... No]
2. General clothing [some warm ones also]
3. Laptop [no desk top, printer etc.]
4. Digicam / Camcorder
5. Heirlooms [heritage collections, murals, artifacts etc.] -Check CBSA rules.
6. Original Certificates / Documents
7. Prescription Medicines
8. Books & DVDs
9. Mobile Phone* [non CDMA] -a NA charger will be needed
*Only GSM850-1900MHz models [that's the Canadian frequency -not all countries have that]

What "Not" To Take? [Purely My Advise]:
1. Furniture [whatever, small or big]
2. TV [even if it's an LCD], Fridge, Washing machine etc.
3. Curtains, Bedspreads, Pillows & linens
4. Cars, Bikes etc.
5. Large-sized Toys of kids
6. Food [Perishable or Non-perishable] items
7. Over-the-Counter Medicines
8. Meat or Meat products [including Fowl, Fish etc.]

NOTE: Asian make electronic/electrical items won't work in Canada. [read 230 vs 110 Volts]

Cheers...

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where are you from? The old electronics I brought can still work as long as you bring adaptors (although the time for a task completing is slower than usual)

Furniture: If you spend some time shopping, you would know that ikea furniture is not the best. At home, you may find better quality and value than those in Ikea Canada.

I agree your last paragraph.

missmini said:
the old electronics won't work in Canada...u need adapters and headache...make sure what u want to bring would work...

furniture? i suppose not, kind of big and costly to ship...IKEA will b ur friend ;)

just bring what u need, whatever u miss u probably don't need that much right?

once u r in Canada u will know what u might still need to bring and what not....u can bring it even after, not necessarily at the first move (that's how we did)

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
steaky said:
Where are you from? The old electronics I brought can still work as long as you bring adaptors (although the time for a task completing is slower than usual)

Furniture: If you spend some time shopping, you would know that ikea furniture is not the best. At home, you may find better quality and value than those in Ikea Canada.

I agree your last paragraph.
actually the cost of shipping large used electronics could b almost the same with the cost of something brand new; plus even if u use adapters u might still risk of damaging them pretty soon; of course many electronics nowadays r both on 110/220 so it remains the cost in question

as for the furniture yeah quality wise Ikea is not the best but since so many people move so much does it really worth having fancy expensive furniture and then think how u'll move it...at the end it's abt personal choice; some people do ship their furniture from their home country but it will cost a lot and u r not sure how it will arrive and the conditions in which it will b handled

rgirish

Star Member
Aug 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/09/2014
Why not TV? I will be moving from NY to Montreal and I was told that bring electronic stuff including TV as these things are expensive there.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
NYC to Montreal is not very far, and it is all by road, so you can bring everything if you want. But if someone is overseas, bringing a lot of furniture is probably not worth it, unless it has a lot of sentimental value or is very good quality.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Actually the cost of shipping of higher quality furniture from China is nothing compare to the cost of the same kind of furniture (also made in China) sold in Canadian retailers. I have yet to know how my old furniture will be handled when they arrive in June. BTW, I heard my friend ordered a new sofa (made in China) from a Canadian retailer last Fall but still haven't receive it.

missmini said:
actually the cost of shipping large used electronics could b almost the same with the cost of something brand new; plus even if u use adapters u might still risk of damaging them pretty soon; of course many electronics nowadays r both on 110/220 so it remains the cost in question

as for the furniture yeah quality wise Ikea is not the best but since so many people move so much does it really worth having fancy expensive furniture and then think how u'll move it...at the end it's abt personal choice; some people do ship their furniture from their home country but it will cost a lot and u r not sure how it will arrive and the conditions in which it will b handled

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
steaky said:
Actually the cost of shipping of higher quality furniture from China is nothing compare to the cost of the same kind of furniture (also made in China) sold in Canadian retailers. I have yet to know how my old furniture will be handled when they arrive in June. BTW, I heard my friend ordered a new sofa (made in China) from a Canadian retailer last Fall but still haven't receive it.
reaaaally :eek: then i guess depends of what u have and from where u r shipping :)

for those coming from US, it's much easier in a way, u could put as much as u want in ur car

Heckler

Mar 14, 2011
Bristol, Uk
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-10
Passport Req..
11-01-11
VISA ISSUED...
26-01-11
LANDED..........
02-04-11
My advice would be to work out how much it would cost to ship items to Canada, then look up the price of simply replacing them once you arrive!
In my case all I brought was my laptop, camera & my 2 bikes! In my case the cost of the excess baggage fees for my bikes was significantly cheaper than replacing them like for like (cost $400 to ship them, would be $6000 to replace :eek:)
Websites like http://usedcanada.com/ are your friends in finding second hand replacements once you arrive too :)

gemzurc

Mar 9, 2011
angeles city
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/24/2009
Med's Request
08/17/10
Med's Done....
09/03/10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11/09/10
VISA ISSUED...
very soon =)
LANDED..........
soon =)
Heckler said:
My advice would be to work out how much it would cost to ship items to Canada, then look up the price of simply replacing them once you arrive!
In my case all I brought was my laptop, camera & my 2 bikes! In my case the cost of the excess baggage fees for my bikes was significantly cheaper than replacing them like for like (cost $400 to ship them, would be $6000 to replace :eek:)
Websites like http://usedcanada.com/ are your friends in finding second hand replacements once you arrive too :)
my husband is planning to bring his bike on our first trip to canada... i've heard that you have to pay the tax depends on how much the value of your bike or they will allow it as long is it is used?