+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The upcoming war in Ukraine against Russia!

kase

Dec 14, 2012
Hi!
I'm Ukrainian citizen and I just got to Canada as a permanent resident sponsored by my Canadian husband, I'm very worried about my family back in Ukraine, (mom, dad, sister) it is civil war now and sooner or later the big war will start agains Russia , I have question, does anyone know if there any chance to apply for refugee for them? Or can I help them from Canada to get here? I can leave him dying there. Are they eligible for refugee? Or maybe just a visitor visa? Any kind of advice will be appreciated . Thank you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
kase said:
Hi!
I'm Ukrainian citizen and I just got to Canada as a permanent resident sponsored by my Canadian husband, I'm very worried about my family back in Ukraine, (mom, dad, sister) it is civil war now and sooner or later the big war will start agains Russia , I have question, does anyone know if there any chance to apply for refugee for them? Or can I help them from Canada to get here? I can leave him dying there. Are they eligible for refugee? Or maybe just a visitor visa? Any kind of advice will be appreciated . Thank you
At the moment, I don't think that you can justify a refugee claim. However, I also suspect that visitor visas from the region will become hard to obtain, for the same reasons. No doubt that the situation will change but nobody knows what will happen yet.

Johnny31

VIP Member
Dec 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kase said:
Hi!
They're not qualified as refugee yet - sorry to say

gosia

Apr 26, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-08-2010
Doc's Request.
26-05-2011
File Transfer...
15-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
Decision made April 15, 2013
LANDED..........
20-06-2013
ask them to try and get a visitor visa or go to near by countries for refuge - before the war escalates

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What others have said. They don't qualify as refugees.

They can certainly try applying for visitor visas. To be approved, they will have to demonstrate strong ties to their home country and demonstrate they have no plans on remaining in Canada long term.

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
it is civil war now and sooner or later the big war will start agains Russia
There is no war. And not even Russian troops in Ukraine. Just marines on a Russian Navy base in Sevastopol.
Like Americans in Germany. Is there is a war in Germany between Germany and USA then?

Quesney

Aug 19, 2013
Hello there.
Hope this finds you well.
Your family members cannot be refugees until when they leave Ukraine.Please read:
Who is a refugee?
A refugee is someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war, or violence. A refugee has a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. Most likely, they cannot return home or are afraid to do so. War and ethnic, tribal and religious violence are leading causes of refugees fleeing their countries.

If they are involved or any of them is involved in the current crisis in your Country and their lives are in danger,they can leave Ukraine and go to another Country and apply for refugee status there.If approved, then they can apply for resettlement to Canada.Or, if they cannot leave Ukraine still for security reasons and their lives are in danger, they can go to the Canadian Embassy or consulate in Ukraine and apply from there.
If you were a refugee yourself, you could apply under family reunification program and they could meet you in Canada.
As you can see, it might not be easy to become a refugee. Even if some one claims to be one, they need to prove it.
If there is war in Ukraine though, tell them to go to Canadian Embassy and apply for refugee status from there.
Please note that the process is always not easy.
Hope this is useful.

Quesney

Reactions: AzizurahmanShafaq

todayshow

Mar 4, 2014
Quesney said:
Hello there.
Hope this finds you well.
Your family members cannot be refugees until when they leave Ukraine.Please read:
Who is a refugee?
A refugee is someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war, or violence. A refugee has a well-founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. Most likely, they cannot return home or are afraid to do so. War and ethnic, tribal and religious violence are leading causes of refugees fleeing their countries.

If they are involved or any of them is involved in the current crisis in your Country and their lives are in danger,they can leave Ukraine and go to another Country and apply for refugee status there.If approved, then they can apply for resettlement to Canada.Or, if they cannot leave Ukraine still for security reasons and their lives are in danger, they can go to the Canadian Embassy or consulate in Ukraine and apply from there.
If you were a refugee yourself, you could apply under family reunification program and they could meet you in Canada.
As you can see, it might not be easy to become a refugee. Even if some one claims to be one, they need to prove it.
If there is war in Ukraine though, tell them to go to Canadian Embassy and apply for refugee status from there.
Please note that the process is always not easy.
Hope this is useful.

Quesney
They won't approve their refugee application even though they leave Ukraine now since Russia hasn't launched a total war or massive attacks against Ukraine yet. They will probably be pulled out of the Canadian Embassy/consulate if they try to claim that they are refugees.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
todayshow said:
They won't approve their refugee application even though they leave Ukraine now since Russia hasn't launched a total war or massive attacks against Ukraine yet. They will probably be pulled out of the Canadian Embassy/consulate if they try to claim that they are refugees.
http://canadainternational.gc.ca/ukraine/index.aspx?lang=eng As it's closed, they will not even get in.....