+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The other side of US/CAN relationships, Anyone else care to share?

jmni1

Star Member
Apr 8, 2010
USA
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-04-2010
Interview........
31-01-2011
Passport Req..
31-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
31-01-2011
LANDED..........
01-02-2011
plumosa said:
jmni1, I totally understand about the french thing. I've been in Quebec City for a year now as a visitor and it can be really difficult to get by if you can't communicate. My husband also pretty much refuses to speak to me in French because he finds it took difficult to switch back and forth. I actually start my first french lesson on Monday!

I believe that once you get your CSQ you can start your free French lessons. It doesn't seem like it on the website but I went in person to the immigration office and the lady at the front desk gave me the application form. I am not 100% on this because I am not taking my French classes through them, though it is subsidized by the Quebec government and only costs 45$. I couldn't wait any longer and the next open classes don't start until November through MICC (and you have to apply ahead of time).

One thing that you can do, however, is go to the grocery store and put up sign offering english lessons in exchange for french. Basically you can try to speak for an equal time in both languages, and since you are both beginners there is not a lot of pressure. There is also Voice of English Quebec (VEQ) but I'm not sure how useful it will be to you since I don't know how far out of the Quebec City you are. http://www.veq.ca/

Oh and try to learn as much French as you can before moving to Montreal. Its pretty much impossible to learn French there because everyone will switch to English once they hear your accent or if you are struggling. I haven't spent a lot of time in Montreal, but I've also had issues trying to speak English when outside of Westmount or the English-Universities area, so you'll still need to learn French. Not to mention the whole sensitivity about English speakers that refuse to learn French in Montreal and the tensions that arise from that!

I hope this helps! (and sogwap too since I know you're in Quebec as well!)
Thank You for the information, it is nice to know that I am not the only one living in Quebec that cannot communicate. I should be getting my CSQ in a day or 2 since it was mailed last wed. according to MICC. I will look into the resources locally to see if there is anywhere I can go to learn French. I live in Rimouski so there are not many resources and the college UQAR is all in French and they do not offer French courses for English speakers as far as I can tell, but maybe now that my CSQ will be here soon maybe that will change. Thank you for the support and resources.

tigerpika

Jun 1, 2010
It really is amazing how many people think that you are 'automatically' legal in Canada once you get married. I am going down to part time at my job so i can spend more time with my husband. We are fortunate to live within driving distance of each other. I will be working through the end of the year, and then (hopefully) waiting out the rest of the process in Canada.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
I also forgot to mention, I work at a family owned restaurant type place, been there for years, so a lot of customers know me. A lot of the customers come in on a daily/weekly basis and every day "So when are you moving?" "Err... like I said a million times before... anytime between 3 and 12 months". Of course it's much nicer than that but you know. People really are quite clueless to the whole process... ::)

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
nyssa said:
I also forgot to mention, I work at a family owned restaurant type place, been there for years, so a lot of customers know me. A lot of the customers come in on a daily/weekly basis and every day "So when are you moving?" "Err... like I said a million times before... anytime between 3 and 12 months". Of course it's much nicer than that but you know. People really are quite clueless to the whole process... ::)
That's like my MIL.. she's always like "Why aren't you done yet?! What's wrong?! wah wah wah.." lol! Never mind the thousands of times we've explained the process to her!

And.. maybe this is just me, but in meeting new people here, I get a lot of condescending tones and attitudes. It's as if I'm automatically an idiot because I'm from the States.. never mind the fact that I have a Masters degree! Maybe this is just because I'm also from the South..

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I guess I was just really naive - we both were, actually. Next month will be 8 years ago that we first "talked" to each other online. Eleven months later we met in person and knew that our suspicions that we'd fallen in love were true. In a few weeks we'll celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary. I've been in Canada since our wedding day - I walked away from everything because in the four years prior to our marriage, every parting had been absolutely gut-wrenching. I had been in Canada prior to our wedding with valid visitor status - so we'd managed for the 18 months prior to marrying to actually live together - but then a witch at the border sent me home and separated us for 3 months, just when we were days away from filing our common-law inland application. We'd planned to marry all along but hadn't been able to because of complications with his divorce - even though I didn't meet him until 18 months after she walked out on him, she refused to allow him to move on and be happy and she held the divorce hostage, even after it had gone to court to be finalized.

Anyway, we finally won that battle and were married and I came into Canada as a visitor. We started all over again with our application - applying outland because we'd learnt in the meantime that we didn't have to apply inland just because I was in Canada - and it's lucky we did that or we'd have been torn apart again a long time ago. My son got arrested - he had been living with his father for three years already by the time we married and applied for PR, and he wasn't coming to Canada. But I was forced to include him because he was under 22 . . . yet, because he was over 18 (and legally an adult) he had to provide a criminal clearance. He was found inadmissible to Canada, and so was I (wrongly) because of him. For all intents and purposes Immigration Canada has kept me imprisoned in this country - due to their error - for nearly 3 years while we've waited for our appeal hearing and now for reprocessing. In the meantime, they actually tried to kick me out by refusing my visitor extension application while our case was still under appeal. The Minister of CIC overruled that decision and they gave me a work permit (in compensation??), and then we won our appeal last January - but I still don't have PR. Even though I haven't been out of Canada since the last time I got an FBI clearance done, I have to prove I haven't committed any crimes in the States and I've been waiting 3 months on my FBI clearance. I can only pray to God that the prints are good and the FBI can send me what I need to get Buffalo back on the stick again.

This week is the fourth anniversary of the day I gave up my life - my family, my sons, all my friends and my ability to be self-supporting - to come back to Canada and marry my love. I don't regret that decision, but I never expected I'd have to accept being held hostage here in order to have a life with my husband. Most of you know the mess CIC has made of our case, but in hindsight I could never have imagined the unbelievable incompetence of this bureaucracy and their repeated attempts to justify their error have only exacerbated the problem! We have been together in a committed, physically exclusive and genuine relationship now for more than 7 years and they are still jacking us around. I wouldn't wish what we've been through on my worst enemy. Had we had the choice at the time - and had we known what we would endure at the hands of this agency - I'd have stayed in the States and sponsored him to come to me. But he'd have had to walk out on his kids the same way their mother did, and that was unacceptable. So here we are - stressed, broke and waiting . . . waiting to begin living the life we imagined we'd build together and having even fewer resources to do that than we did when we started out. Our attorney once said he couldn't imagine how our case had gone so far off the rails - the way we see it, it didn't just go off the rails, it's been an absolute trainwreck. Breaks my heart.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Robsluv, I've read about your case and it's terrible how you were treated. I hope that the rest of your processing is lightning fast. I've just been 'visiting' in Canada for a couple of months and not being able to work and being a sort of non-person is a terrible experience. I can't imagine being in that situation for years.. you must have a very strong and solid marriage.

CeeGee

Star Member
Jan 31, 2010
Wow!

RobsLuv--I always wondered what the full details of your situation were. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us all. And, thank you even more for all of your assistance in advising some of us "newcomers" of what to do. It was your well-explained post about about to get a visitor record and wait in Canada for my "outland" application to be approved that has allowed me the blessing of being with my husband since three weeks after my marriage.

You--yes, You, RobsLuv made that possible. Bless you more than you know.

I think one of the biggest frustrations for me is to see immigrants from farflung countries with far less ties and associations with Canada seemingly moving at "lightning" speed compared to Buffalo applicants. As far as I can tell, it seems like our timeline is the same as Middle Eastern countries where terrorism is a concern. Everyone here in Guelph is shocked by how slow this whole process is going. I am happy for all immigrants to make it in quickly, but when the Americans are the only ones left on February, March, April threads. . . .well, it is a little demoralizing. I have never felt like a "criminal" or an "unwanted" before, but, now, in a small way I do.

The other thing that is a little hard is when Canadians, who don't know you are American, make complaints or insults about America. Before I came to Canada--I "loved" Canadians. I didn't think they were the same as Americans; I just thought they were a wonderful progressive country. I still think that, but I am disappointed when I find that many people are disparaging and, at times, insulting about America or happy to see us have problems. It makes me sad. Also, whenever people think things are "the best" in Canada. I think all nations have their good and bad points. I will be the first to complain about the U.S., but I don't dislike my country. So, that makes me sad at times.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
CeeGee, I'm right in that boat with you! It wasn't until I moved here that I saw the 'other' side of many Canadians. Americans often get a lot of heat for thinking their country is the best in the world, but I NEVER heard that phrase more in my life until I moved here. Maybe we hear it as Americans more because the Canadians think they have something to prove to us as immigrants.. I'm not sure. It is extremely hurtful to hear people say such things when I am terribly homesick! I'm tired of people acting like I 'lucked out' in a major way by getting to live in Canada.. if you look at my life in regards to finances, good job, good healthcare, pretty much any aspect except my marriage, I was FAR better off in the US.

I also fail to understand why it takes so much longer for Americans to get processed as opposed to these far flung locations. It is much more logical that Americans and Canadians would develop marriages and relationships based on common values and backgrounds, so I'm not sure why we have to wait so much longer.

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@jmni1: Good luck with the French lessons! I very much agree with Plumosa about trying to learn as much French as possible before you move to Montreal. In Montreal, it is can be difficult to learn French because most people tend to switch to English when they hear from your accent that you are anglophone. In cities other than Montreal, it is much easier to get people to stay speaking French with you, even if you are struggling.

In Montreal, there is also a program called Jumelage or something, which is where an English speaker and a French speaker are paired up to converse equal amounts of time in both languages, on a weekly basis, to help each other learn. That could be something to look into later on when/if you live in Montreal? And you might want to think about language when you decide which part of Montreal to live in, since certain areas tend to be more one language than the other, so it will have a huge impact on your experience in Montreal.