+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

the open work permit advantage

misaki

Sep 14, 2008
can anyone tell me how i can apply for the "open work permit advantage" program? i am a spouse of a foreign temporary worker, and he's been working in Canada for almost 2years now. We are qualified for this program, however canadavisa.com did not provide the procedures or requirements needed to apply. My husband and i can't wait any longer for the permanent residence visa as we are just newly weds when he left almost 2 years ago, we don't have children yet, and haven't even started to settle, because we were really planning to start our family in Canada. i hope to join him there sooner so we can work together and be able to settle already and i also want to be of help to him saving for our future, my husband really needs me to be there with him.
I hope there's anyone out there who know something about this program and be kind enough to let me know what i have to do (procedures), where i should go to apply and any documents needed (requirements)...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why did you not go with him two years ago? Anyway, at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/work-faq08.asp you can see that you can have an open work permit if your husbands work permit is skill level 0, A or B and if he still has at least 6 months left on his permit. I am not sure which form to fill out for that but I am sure somebody here does??? He can also phone the call centre and ask.

misaki

Sep 14, 2008
i would have gone to canada with him 2 years ago if we only knew it was possible, however, canadian embassy does not give out visas that easily in our country, its really scary to get a denial from them if they did not like my reason for going to canada and have my passport stamped "visa denied" its like being convicted of a crime!, and he was employed there via an agency, so we did not know anything about this open work permit until now.
Anyway, thanks i'll check out that website but it seems that there is no detailed information about this open work permit in the internet, maybe i would really need to go straight to the embassy to ask. Canadavisa.com is not responding to my email to them either...its really frustrating...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is easier for him to find out than it is for you. Did he just renew his work permit or it's time to do it? Usually work permits are issued for 1 or 2 years at a time. When he renews his work permit, his employer will either do it or get an agency to do it. At that time your husband can ask about how to get a visa for wife. Or he can ask the agency that brought him over. He can also call the CIC call centre at 1 888 242‑2100 but you can not call because you can only call from within Canada.