+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The Lonely Immigrant - Are you a new immigrant and feeling Lonely in Canada?

rdutter

Star Member
Dec 12, 2010
Relocating and settling in a new country can be a lonely and somewhat isolating experience, even if you have arrived with family members. One of the ingredients to longer-term success for Canadian Immigrants is to create your own community. Community is not only important for success in Canada. It is also essential for emotional health and wellbeing. As human beings we are inherently social animals and feeling isolated and lonely is a stress factor that poses a health risk that’s apparently comparable to smoking or obesity. When we build healthy relationships, we feel supported and can provide support. Extensive studies show that social support is critical for long term health and psychological wellbeing. When we are connected and supported, we tend to perform better and enjoy life more.

So as a new immigrant, are you facing any or all of the following?

- Feeling Lonely
- Facing culture shock
- Not getting used to the weather
- Missing Social Support
- Having financial difficulties
- Seeking Help?

Please feel free to share your experiences in this thread.

Mglhunter

Star Member
Aug 10, 2018
I used to have that when first arrived and initial few months. Now after 6 months actually started to feel ok though. Key is need to find a flock you can fit in.

Reactions: Tishawn

Julys

Aug 2, 2018
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
21-02-2019
Med's Done....
19-02-2019
Relocating and settling in a new country can be a lonely and somewhat isolating experience, even if you have arrived with family members. One of the ingredients to longer-term success for Canadian Immigrants is to create your own community. Community is not only important for success in Canada. It is also essential for emotional health and wellbeing. As human beings we are inherently social animals and feeling isolated and lonely is a stress factor that poses a health risk that’s apparently comparable to smoking or obesity. When we build healthy relationships, we feel supported and can provide support. Extensive studies show that social support is critical for long term health and psychological wellbeing. When we are connected and supported, we tend to perform better and enjoy life more.

So as a new immigrant, are you facing any or all of the following?

- Feeling Lonely
- Facing culture shock
- Not getting used to the weather
- Missing Social Support
- Having financial difficulties
- Seeking Help?

Please feel free to share your experiences in this thread.
I do, especially as lockdown started shortly after I landed. I thought I was going to meet people and explore but unfortunately, I have been in self-isolation since March :-( Sometimes I can make it, at other times it hits me that all my plans had to be left on hold and I have no one to talk to all day of all week but well, I'm hanging in there.

hamgha

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
07-07-2017
Nomination.....
12-04-2017
IELTS Request
21-01-2017
Med's Done....
25-04-2017
I do, especially as lockdown started shortly after I landed. I thought I was going to meet people and explore but unfortunately, I have been in self-isolation since March :-( Sometimes I can make it, at other times it hits me that all my plans had to be left on hold and I have no one to talk to all day of all week but well, I'm hanging in there.
hang in there.... it takes a while to meet people even without a lockdown. check out virtual meetups, book clubs etc...

subodhp

Jun 19, 2019
Toronto
It is fair to feel so, many plans were put on hold for last few months and perhaps for next few months as well. Hang in there, do as much as you can with virtual resources.