+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The gift of Harper to the liberals

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
The new citizenship law was a real gift from Harper to the liberals. First many new Canadians and different communities moved and voted for liberals to get rid of conservatives. That is the part which directly went to the account of liberals. The second gift there are millions of new Canadians who will be so in the coming few years will ever vote against conservatives because of that, especially who lost the residency bonus of one years if they were residents of Canada before PR status. Now it is the turn of liberals to get more from Harper. How is that?
First:the liberals promised to restore this credit of one year for those PRs with residence in Canada before PR status.
Second: if the liberals allowed for those who landed before 11th June,2015 to apply on the old rules, 3/4 years.
Third: restore the age of exemption from language requirements between the ages of 18-55.

This will help to grant citizenship to about 1,250,000 PRs or maybe little more before the next elections . Most of those of course will vote for liberals because they restored fairness and got justice.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
surgi said:
The new citizenship law was a real gift from Harper to the liberals. First many new Canadians and different communities moved and voted for liberals to get rid of conservatives. That is the part which directly went to the account of liberals. The second gift there are millions of new Canadians who will be so in the coming few years will ever vote against conservatives because of that, especially who lost the residency bonus of one years if they were residents of Canada before PR status. Now it is the turn of liberals to get more from Harper. How is that?
First:the liberals promised to restore this credit of one year for those PRs with residence in Canada before PR status.
Second: if the liberals allowed for those who landed before 11th June,2015 to apply on the old rules, 3/4 years.
Third: restore the age of exemption from language requirements between the ages of 18-55.

This will help to grant citizenship to about 1,250,000 PRs or maybe little more before the next elections . Most of those of course will vote for liberals because they restored fairness and got justice.
And four, which is more likely, that the liberal will screw up this country so badly like they are already doing to Ontario, that nobody would even want to come

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
itsmyid said:
And 3, which is more likely, that the liberal will screw up this country so badly like they are already doing to Ontario, that nobody would even want to come
If they screw up this country they will be screwed up in the next election.

razana

May 15, 2015
I agree with you Surgi that's what Liberals should do but I am so frustrated they haven't done anythin so far with c24.
and yes I agree if they dont wanna repeal the residency requirements, then at least they can bring it back for those landed before June.
Frankly I am so disappointed now. :(

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
razana said:
I agree with you Surgi that's what Liberals should do but I am so frustrated they haven't done anythin so far with c24.
and yes I agree if they dont wanna repeal the residency requirements, then at least they can bring it back for those landed before June.
You should understand that politicians love to make promises on the campaign trail that they have no intention of fulfilling, at least not in a timely manner. Trudeau is a prime example of this. After spending months bashing Harper for using taxpayer money to fund partisan ads to promote his own agenda, and swearing to put an end to all of this, one of Trudeau's first actions was to commit $500,000 of taxpayer money to fund an ad campaign to promote his refugee agenda. Complete hypocrisy!

I would be surprised if this government makes any changes to C-24 other than possibly eliminating the government's citizenship-stripping authority.

nope

Oct 3, 2015
torontosm said:
You should understand that politicians love to make promises on the campaign trail that they have no intention of fulfilling, at least not in a timely manner. Trudeau is a prime example of this. After spending months bashing Harper for using taxpayer money to fund partisan ads to promote his own agenda, and swearing to put an end to all of this, one of Trudeau's first actions was to commit $500,000 of taxpayer money to fund an ad campaign to promote his refugee agenda. Complete hypocrisy!

I would be surprised if this government makes any changes to C-24 other than possibly eliminating the government's citizenship-stripping authority.
This is obviously correct -- if anything, the Liberals will tinker around the edges, possibly restoring pre-PR time, getting rid of some of the small bits like '6 months out of four years' or something like that. There is no way, though, that they are going to be tarred with the slogan "reducing the value of Canadian citizenship".

I agree that the changes should have been grandfathered, especially for students. But it's not going to happen now, the implementation would be impossible.

Even if the Liberals did do everything you wanted, they'd do it after several years of thought and study. They've been in power for about a month, now, and have more on their mind than tinkering with a minor issue that is highly symbolic to Canadians.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
nope said:
This is obviously correct -- if anything, the Liberals will tinker around the edges, possibly restoring pre-PR time, getting rid of some of the small bits like '6 months out of four years' or something like that. There is no way, though, that they are going to be tarred with the slogan "reducing the value of Canadian citizenship".

I agree that the changes should have been grandfathered, especially for students. But it's not going to happen now, the implementation would be impossible.

Even if the Liberals did do everything you wanted, they'd do it after several years of thought and study. They've been in power for about a month, now, and have more on their mind than tinkering with a minor issue that is highly symbolic to Canadians.
I think if the liberals miss this opportunity and take several years to think about their promise to change bill c24 they will lose the next elections. Personally they will urge these changes to happen in the next spring because they really need time to add such new Canadian who will probably vote for them in the next elections. Second they will never be tarred by the slogan reducing the value of citizenship because this bill has nothing to increase or strengthen the citizenship. It was a game from Harper to slow down and prevent a greater number of new Canadians to get citizenship and join the voting Canadian mass. He knows very well that new citizens mostly will never vote for the conservatives and making citizenship granting a complicated process will help conservative to win and stay longer in power. Still there are all reasons and arguments to justify the liberals changes to bill C24.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
razana said:
Haven't done anything "so far???" You do realize that the new parliament just started today, right? There are many things the new government has to work on, not just C-24!

AlexRox

Star Member
Nov 29, 2013
surgi said:

Most likely(and from what I see so far) Liberals will get a lot less support in the next election. Things could change if they perform well in the future, but chances are very low.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
surgi said:
I think if the liberals miss this opportunity and take several years to think about their promise to change bill c24 they will lose the next elections. Personally they will urge these changes to happen in the next spring because they really need time to add such new Canadian who will probably vote for them in the next elections. Second they will never be tarred by the slogan reducing the value of citizenship because this bill has nothing to increase or strengthen the citizenship. It was a game from Harper to slow down and prevent a greater number of new Canadians to get citizenship and join the voting Canadian mass. He knows very well that new citizens mostly will never vote for the conservatives and making citizenship granting a complicated process will help conservative to win and stay longer in power. Still there are all reasons and arguments to justify the liberals changes to bill C24.
This idea is just a bit naïve... You said it like c24 is the only thing that the voters care about. The majority of votes care about economy, national security, healthcare, pension, etc., c24 would be near the bottom of the list, if liberals lose the next election, it would be because of their failure in those things, which I am sure they will, and it will have little to nothing to do with c24

Yogi3845

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
surgi said:
[Liberals won't care about your votes, they have refugees votes with them by then]

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Yogi3845 said:
surgi said:
[Liberals won't care about your votes, they have refugees votes with them by then]
No they won't, the refugees won't meet the 4 year requirement in time for the next election

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Btw, if you read the transcript of today's Throne Speech, you will see his speech talked about tax, defense, legalizing pot.... And you won't find anything about immigration, so, just wake up and return to reality...

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
itsmyid said:
This idea is just a bit naïve... You said it like c24 is the only thing that the voters care about. The majority of votes care about economy, national security, healthcare, pension, etc., c24 would be near the bottom of the list, if liberals lose the next election, it would be because of their failure in those things, which I am sure they will, and it will have little to nothing to do with c24
I never said that bill C-24 is the only thing that voters care about. I think many people think very superficially and do not read figures. I clearly said it is one of the reasons pushed new Canadians to move and vote for liberals. I said even before the elections in this forum Harper will lose because so many naturalized Canadians are afraid from the next steps will be taken against them as bill c-24 is the first step to create two types of citizens. Even bill C-51 do the same thing. The slogan of Trudeau, a Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian was a very intelligent one and it was a message to those targeted by these bills move and vote, the conservatives won the election of 2011 with 5.5 millions and they lost in 2015 with 5.5 millions. I said that they have a stationary voting mass. What Trudeau and Harper's policies did he could push the non voters in 2011 to vote for the liberals and against the conservative. Most of those new voters did not care about economy or foreign policy they do care about their proper existence in Canada which they felt is threatened by the new laws. They felt worried about their future rights in the hands of a government which discriminates between Canadians. These are a good part of the 3 millions difference between 2011 and 2015.