+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The end date for my program exceeds the validity of my passport

lion1998

Dec 15, 2020
Hello!

I'm planning to apply for a study permit outside of Canada. However, my passport's expiry date is one month behind the end date of my program.

Will it be possible for me to apply with it and not get rejected? If it can be approved, can I just renew my passport after receiving the visa (in my country) and request to extend the student permit once I've arrived in Canada?

Appreciate all the help I'd get. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Maybe tommorow

Maybe tommorow

Nov 2, 2020
It would save you a lot of time and effort if you renew your passport before applying. Saves you plenty of time for your study permit and PGWP if you plan on working after studying.

I don't know much about your questions tho, hopefully someone will answer you soon

amazing.cool

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
Hello!

I'm planning to apply for a study permit outside of Canada. However, my passport's expiry date is one month behind the end date of my program.

Will it be possible for me to apply with it and not get rejected? If it can be approved, can I just renew my passport after receiving the visa (in my country) and request to extend the student permit once I've arrived in Canada?

Appreciate all the help I'd get. Thanks!
What is the length of your program?

amazing.cool

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
If you are an Indian.. you can renew your passport under tatkal and provide the LOA of college as a reason... I also got my passport renewed as my program was 2 years and and passport was getting expired in 1 1/2 years... so they renewed it...and I got it in 5 days...

amazing.cool

Star Member
Aug 28, 2020
But your Study visa decision has no impact on Passport length only thing is they will provide the Student visa to length of your passport, and I think for Study permit, they will issue for full term.

jithinjohn323

Jul 12, 2020
If you are an Indian.. you can renew your passport under tatkal and provide the LOA of college as a reason... I also got my passport renewed as my program was 2 years and and passport was getting expired in 1 1/2 years... so they renewed it...and I got it in 5 days...
What about if my visa is under processing and can I renew it .

lion1998

Dec 15, 2020
I'm Filipino but if VACs in your country allow that, it might be the same with mine. I'll probably just verify it with them.

Thanks for the help x

Nenyee99

Feb 21, 2020
Nigeria
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Nigeria
It would save you a lot of time and effort if you renew your passport before applying. Saves you plenty of time for your study permit and PGWP if you plan on working after studying.

I don't know much about your questions tho, hopefully someone will answer you soon
I did renew my passport but the truth is, if you still have more than 6 months for the old passport to expire, they will still stamp the visa and make the expiry date to be same with the old one provided you used the old one for visa application

lion1998

Dec 15, 2020
I did renew my passport but the truth is, if you still have more than 6 months for the old passport to expire, they will still stamp the visa and make the expiry date to be same with the old one provided you used the old one for visa application
So basically, I'll just have to extend my study permit right?

abinj

Star Member
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, there is no provision to upload/mention loa in passport seva website. Do you remember what reason did you choose in the first page of the application website?.