+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The best Canadian bank for new comers??

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tri-Cities said:
RBC is one of a group of banks where you can make e-transfers, but it will cost.
I thought e-transfers at RBC (at least for personal chequing accounts) is free:

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/cgi-bin/intelliresponse/ask.cgi/response/find?question=Are%20there%20fees%20for%20an%20Interac%20e-Transfer?

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
@steaky

I'm sorry - you're right, for personal it's free. I got a business account with them and therefore I get charged.

Again, sorry - my mistake!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anandg12 said:
Just to go against the trend here, Scotia bank! They have a StartRight program for new immigrants and with their Scotia One account, you get free checking and unlimited transactions if you maintain a $3500 CAD balance. On top of that, they will also deposit $100 into your account after 3 months of account opening, maintaining a $3500 balance and few other requirements! Also give $2000 credit card limit to start off with. This is the best program for new immigrants, IMHO.
You're talking about the `special' StartRight program...for Syrian refugees only.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anandg12 said:
I am not a refugee and they gave it to me ;)
You were given an unsecured credit card with a $2000 credit line?

They keep saying that this is only available to Syrian refugees (Special StartRight program).

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tri-Cities said:
It's easy to get a credit card at RBC - refugee or not, newcomer or PR...
RBC:

No credit history required for a credit card, car loan or home mortgage. For an RBC Royal Bank credit card newcomer must be a permanent resident who arrived in Canada within the last 12 months. Provided you meet all of Royal Bank of Canada’s eligibility and credit criteria, you may be eligible for a secured or unsecured RBC Royal Bank credit card even if you have no Canadian credit history.

Scotia Bank:
Just needs to be a Syrian refugee to automatically qualify for the unsecured card...apparently.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Okay that's annoying.

Are we talking about a refugee wanting a cc? Or are we talking about getting a cc in general?

Being a customer with Coast Capital & RBC (& Berliner Volksbank) I never had any issues getting a cc. And I don't know anyone who had - and yes, there sure are some who'll have issues.
And yes, I'm talking about newcomer or PR... Canadian Banks want and need to have cc customers more than ever these days.

Ok, done here.

To the TO, it really doesn't matter as you've been told already, banks are oprerating pretty much the same, so I would look at three, compare and decide what works best for YOU and YOUR situation!

cheers!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tri-Cities said:
Okay that's annoying.

Are we talking about a refugee wanting a cc? Or are we talking about getting a cc in general?
Agreed.

I'm all for helping Syrians that have fled what must have been a living hell, but...shouldn't all newcomers, trying to establish their new life here (including getting their first cc in Canada) be treated the same?

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Ponga,
seriously I have seen refugees back in Germany and the lastr thing they need is a cc! They don't have nothing (uhm well..) so it doesn't matter that they might have to wait to get a cc.

btw I think to many people in this country having too many cc's, look at the horrific debt they're in and never get out.

You're right about being treated the same way...wait a minute... they have other issues than a cc and on top every situation is different. Canadian Banks are way more open to giving out cc than other countries and there might be a reason for that. So I am pretty sure that there are possibilties for refugees to get a cc. Still don't think that's a main issue in their life.

In response to that
I'm all for helping Syrians that have fled what must have been a living hell
yes and no! But I'm going to discuss that on the forum.

TRUENORTH_4M_C2C

Star Member
May 7, 2015
Ottawa
For a starter u can start with Scotia Bank. They give credit card limit of 2000 CAD initially with no annual fee. Just landed 25 days ago. Found scotia to be easy than most other banks so far.. :D

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TRUENORTH_4M_C2C said:
For a starter u can start with Scotia Bank. They give credit card limit of 2000 CAD initially with no annual fee. Just landed 25 days ago. Found scotia to be easy than most other banks so far.. :D
Looks you were previously a FSW, so you probably had a job when you landed, correct?

I'm just curious as to how Scotia Bank would give an unsecured credit card to a special newcomer that has no income...yet, but not any other immigrants.

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
do they charge taxes on savings we wire from our home country?