+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

The best Canadian bank for new comers??

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jc94 said:
I find most banks in Canada only offer Visa credit cards.
Really :eek: I thought MC. Costco, Hudson Bay, Sears, PC Financial and other stores/partners offers only Master credit cards.

pie_vancouver

Jun 12, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
RBC, CIBC, Scotia, TD, Amazon are with Visa
Capital One, PC, HSBC, Tangerine, WalmartFinancial, Rogers, Canadian Tire are with MC

I am not sure if Sears is with visa or mc, I think MC

Did I miss something? ;D

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
pie_vancouver said:
Did I miss something? ;D
BMO also offers MC.

I signed with BMO because I liked their new immigrants package best...plus, they cleared my Scotiabank draft instantly when I opened my account.

eggsterminate

Star Member
Aug 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
Isn't that an online bank, like Tangerine (formally ING Direct).
Tangerine also exists in Canada.
I would highly recommend staying away from TD. Their customer service has gone downhill over the last couple of years. I closed my TD accounts since they seemed way more interested in pushing their crap on me, instead of maintaining the existing accounts I had with them. They did start randomly charging my accounts with no prior notification, even though I akept receiving pointless high pressure cold calls and mailed letters, every other month to sell services I had no interest in. Probably, explains why more than half their profit is obtained in Canada in spite of them having far more operations in the US.

CIBC, on the other hand, was way better with customer service in my experience. I know RBC is quite good too.

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can I open bank account in Canada before landing and transfer funds which are required as proof of funds?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kamy said:
Can I open bank account in Canada before landing and transfer funds which are required as proof of funds?
Transfer funds and proof of funds are not the same.

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Transfer funds and proof of funds are not the same.
I understand that, probably I was not clear in my sentence. Below are two separate questions to make it more clear.

1) Can I open Canadian bank account while my PR application is in process OR I have received PR but yet to land?
2) If answer to above is "Yes", then at the time of landing candidates are required to provide POF before entry, can I use this newly created account to hold all those funds and show at the time of landing.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kamy said:
I understand that, probably I was not clear in my sentence. Below are two separate questions to make it more clear.

1) Can I open Canadian bank account while my PR application is in process OR I have received PR but yet to land?
2) If answer to above is "Yes", then at the time of landing candidates are required to provide POF before entry, can I use this newly created account to hold all those funds and show at the time of landing.
1) Yes, you can. See the thread below:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/open-bank-account-before-pr-t448421.0.html;msg5417116#msg5417116

2) Yes, you can show bank statement of this newly created account.

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
1) Yes, you can. See the thread below:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/open-bank-account-before-pr-t448421.0.html;msg5417116#msg5417116

2) Yes, you can show bank statement of this newly created account.
Thank you

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was looking at the bank website for documents required for opening bank account in Canada, can you help me what these documents are

IMM 1000, IMM 5292-- As I understand from various posts these are the documents handed over at the time of landing IMM 5292 is used these days while IMM 1000 used to be there before year 2002

IMM 1442, IMM 5688-- I couldn't understand what these forms are, kindly suggest how and when they will be received

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kamy said:
I was looking at the bank website for documents required for opening bank account in Canada, can you help me what these documents are

IMM 1000, IMM 5292-- As I understand from various posts these are the documents handed over at the time of landing IMM 5292 is used these days while IMM 1000 used to be there before year 2002

IMM 1442, IMM 5688-- I couldn't understand what these forms are, kindly suggest how and when they will be received
Which bank website requires you to have these documents?

IMM 5292 is the Confirmation of Permanent Resident document you will receive from the visa office so that you complete landing. You can google the rest to know what they are.

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Which bank website requires you to have these documents?

IMM 5292 is the Confirmation of Permanent Resident document you will receive from the visa office so that you complete landing. You can google the rest to know what they are.
Scotiabank

In the meantime I researched on all these documents
IMM 1000-- Landing document before 2002
IMM 5292-- Landing document after 2002 if the application is being processed in CAIPS and FOSS
IMM 5686-- New Landing document if the application is being processed in GCMS

valsanail

Nov 17, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2016
Doc's Request.
No additional documents request since AOR
AOR Received.
21-01-2016
Passport Req..
30-08-2016
LANDED..........
14-10-2016
I had a live chat with Scotiabank few days back. My country of residence is not on their list of countries from which you can open a b/a remotely, so I asked what is my option, they told sorry we cannot help you until you are here in Canada, so I decided to take a fresh account balance statement from my current bank 1-2 days before departure and show this as a POF at the port of entry, telling them that I am going to open an account right there after arrival and transfer my funds at that stage. I guess this is ok right?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
valsanail said:
I had a live chat with Scotiabank few days back. My country of residence is not on their list of countries from which you can open a b/a remotely, so I asked what is my option, they told sorry we cannot help you until you are here in Canada, so I decided to take a fresh account balance statement from my current bank 1-2 days before departure and show this as a POF at the port of entry, telling them that I am going to open an account right there after arrival and transfer my funds at that stage. I guess this is ok right?
Since you have HSBC b/a in home country, why don't you open a Canadian HSBC b/a remotely?