+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

the additional family form for the sponsored person

ash2009

Aug 23, 2009
hi,

Im so confused as to whether i need to fill out form IMM 5406 Additional Family Information. I dont have any children and i thought this form was only for them. As for other family members (parents, brother and sister) they wont be immigrating with me, nor will they ever be. But a lady at the call centre said to fill it out anyway!?When i asked why it would be needed, she said she didnt know.
Now looking at the checklist, it says that each family member needs to provide identity documents. Is this necessary too? It will be quite difficult, my parents dont even have their birth certs. I also dont see why it would be needed.

Can anyone help? Im sitting in a mountain of forms, was hoping to get it sent this weekend but im stuck on this form :'(

thanks.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Yes, you have to fill out the IMM 5406 form. On it, include everyone it asks for - parents, spouse/partner, children and siblings. I'm not sure why they need that info, perhaps in case you one day wish to sponsor them or for background checks. Either way, you need to provide this.

The identity documents are only needed for family members listed on IMM 0008 (that's your spouse/partner and dependents that are not yet PRs or citizens of Canada, so in your case nobody) and yourself. Hence, you only need to send this for yourself.

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
mitamata- I remember someone on the forum once saying that they were having problems because CIC believed their father was involved in some kind of questionable organization. That may be the reason!

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
in Additional Family Information form you need to mention both your parents, brothers an sisters, step bothers and sisters, kinds, adopted kids, step-kids, if there are any.
as for id it's only for sponsored spouse and dependents if there are any, provided sponsor adds copy of his/her passport or id in his/her part of application.

mjrehman

Jan 18, 2010
If we need to provide original ids for all the dependents or only for those who would be accompanying the principal applicant? My father, (who is being sponsored and will be the principal appliant) has 3 dependent and 2 independent kids. Only one out of 3 dependent kids would be accompanying my father and my mother. Do they need to provide original documents for all of his 3 dependents or only for one dependent who will be accompanying him? Thanks. J

abgaur

Sep 26, 2009
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Parents, siblings, etc are not considered family members. Only your spouse and dependent children are considered family members. Please refer to the following lines from the Immigration Guid (IMM 3999 E (10-2008)) on page 15.

Your family members are your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and your dependent children
(start with the oldest). You must include all of your family members (who are not already permanent
residents of Canada or Canadian citizens), whether they intend to immigrate with you or not. Any other
relative (your mother, father, sister or brother, for instance) is not considered a family member for the
purpose of this application.

mjrehman

Jan 18, 2010
Thanks for your comments and I agree parents, siblings, etc. are not considered family members.

What I was looking for: is for my father - who has to apply for permanent residence. I had sponsored him and got letter from CPC-Mississauga. He has 3 dependent kids but only one would accompany him to Canada. He will fill forms as per the instructions/guide and would have 3 dependents info in IMM 0008 ( only one accompanying and the others two NOT.)
Now problem is that per IMM 3020 they are asking for original birth certificates for each of the dependents that are entered on IMM 0008, even though one dependent will accompany and my question was that do we need to provide orginal birth certifcates for all those 3 or only for the one who will accompany him?

Thanks

J