+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thanks to those here that have completed the process...but still offer help.

Benni

Oct 22, 2013
Newfoundland
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2014
AOR Received.
27-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
Greatness, you might get quicker answers if you post your question in a new thread about fingerprints.

This is a thread to thank the veterans here who have helped us newbies. :D

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Greatness said:
Hi everyone? why do cic ask.for fingerprint ? When I summit a police clearance. I got a letter stating.

This letter refers to your application for permanent residence under the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class.
It has been determined that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent resident status as a member of the spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. However, a final decision will not be made until all remaining requirements for becoming a permanent resident have been met. These requirements include medical, security and background checks for you and, if applicable, all of your family members, both in Canada and abroad, even if they are not applying to join you in Canada at this time. You cannot become a permanent resident
until you and all your family members have met these requirements. In order to continue processing your application in Canada further information is required. You must complete/submit the following information to the Case Processing Centre: [X] As part of this application process, you are required to provide a set of your fingerprints. Please check the following CIC website for further details: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english//resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob116.asp#appA or contact the Call Centre, toll free, at 1-888-242-2100. Please take this letter to a service provider and arrange to have your fingerprints taken as soon as possible. The information requested above must be received at this office by 30 April 2014. If these items are not received, your application for permanent residence may be refused and no further consideration will be given to your request for permanent residence unless a new application, including fees, is submitted. You may now apply for an open work permit, which will allow you to work in the occupation and location of your choice. You may also apply for a study permit. If applying for a study permit please ensure you include a letter from the educational institution you plan to attend. The letter should outline the type of course or program for which you are registered, the start date and the expected completion date. To obtain the correct forms please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Internet web site at [http://www.cic.gc.ca] or contact the Immigration Call Centre at the number indicated below. Passports for yourself and your family members must be valid for the duration of your stay in Canada
They want you to provide them with a set of fingerprints to run a RCMP background check. It is a different thing than your original police clearance that you provided when you sent your application in. If I had to hazard a guess, I would say it is likely related to someone in Canada that shares your name and they want to ensure they separate you from them. Just get the prints done and sent in asap.

Good luck.

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
I still lurk around here trying to be helpful while I count down the days to filing my citizenship application. Getting PR was just one step...

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HoneyEllis said:
I still lurk around here trying to be helpful while I count down the days to filing my citizenship application. Getting PR was just one step...
Congratulations for deciding to go `all the way'.

Quick question:
Is it true that to become a Canadian citizen, you have to recall each and every time you crossed the border into Canada???

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Ponga said:
Congratulations for deciding to go `all the way'.

Quick question:
Is it true that to become a Canadian citizen, you have to recall each and every time you crossed the border into Canada???
You have to keep track of all your absences from Canada. You have to fill out a form where you list every trip where you left Canada. You have to provide the exact date of departure and when your returned. During your interview, they will check your passport for any stamps you have there and if you do, match it up to the list your provided for accuracy. Also, they may pick a particular entry and ask you for the details of that trip. I kept a detailed spreadsheet where I kept track of all my travels with exit/entry dates, destination, and purpose of the trip listed.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
You have to keep track of all your absences from Canada. You have to fill out a form where you list every trip where you left Canada. You have to provide the exact date of departure and when your returned. During your interview, they will check your passport for any stamps you have there and if you do, match it up to the list your provided for accuracy. Also, they may pick a particular entry and ask you for the details of that trip. I kept a detailed spreadsheet where I kept track of all my travels with exit/entry dates, destination, and purpose of the trip listed.
Yikes! Does that mean any trip across the border (ever) or only those that occur AFTER PR?

If it's the latter, there's hope, because I'm not PR yet...so I can prepare my own spreadsheet (good idea btw).

taffy7

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2014/June 10th 2014 application complete
Doc's Request.
09 June 2014 same doc's requested again 6th Oct 2014. docs not needed again mistake by cic
AOR Received.
sponsorship approval 05 Aug 2014
File Transfer...
05 Aug 2014
Med's Request
28 July 2015
Med's Done....
30th Dec 2013
Passport Req..
in process 18th July 2015/ DM 5/12/2015
LANDED..........
28/12/2015
If it wasn't for the help on this site i would have given up and just went back home to join my husband. I can't thank you all enough for the time you spend helping out us newbie's . I'm sure ,no i know i would have torn my hair out without you guys. Every time i get into a panic you guys are their for me with out any judgement what so ever, even with the paranoid question i ask sometimes not just once but twice LOL . :-*

HoneyEllis

Star Member
May 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
SYD
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-06-2011
AOR Received.
15-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-08-2011
Med's Done....
08-04-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2011
LANDED..........
20-10-2011
You need the travel details for any of the days that you are using in your citizenship application (you need 1095 days in Canada) so if you become a PR and NEVER leave Canada you can apply after 3 years exactly. If you've been out of Canada you need to have made the 1095 days, so it might be 1100 days since you became a PR and you subtract the 5 days you spent outside Canada. You need the travel details for those 5 days outside Cananda.
An absence is overnight, so if you took a day trip across the border to go shopping, that doesn't count as a day outside Canada.

Also, some people can claim credit at 50% of pre-PR days toward citizenship, depending on their situation / presence in Canada before that got PR. So in that case, if you were in Canada for 6 months pre-PR, you could claim 3 months toward your citizenship (and then apply for citizenship after 2yr and 9months as a PR). Does that make sense?
So it might be a good idea to keep tracking your trips!
Also, you might want to check out the citizenship page in the 'settlement' issues section - that's where I've found out this stuff :)

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
HoneyEllis said:
Also, some people can claim credit at 50% of pre-PR days toward citizenship, depending on their situation / presence in Canada before that got PR. So in that case, if you were in Canada for 6 months pre-PR, you could claim 3 months toward your citizenship (and then apply for citizenship after 2yr and 9months as a PR). Does that make sense?
So it might be a good idea to keep tracking your trips!
Note that you can indeed claim credit at 50% of pre-PR days... as long as you had residency status in Canada like work or study permit. Days in Canada as a visitor do not count at all. I was here on a work permit before I became a PR so I was able to use some of those days at 50% for my citizenship requirement.

QuebecOkie

Champion Member
Sep 23, 2012
Very French Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
28-01-2013
Med's Done....
10-04-2013
Passport Req..
AIP 30-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 30-08-2013
LANDED..........
10-10-2013
Reading on the forum became such a habit that I would feel weird to just STOP completely. :-D I most likely have this forum to thank for the fact that I landed when I did (didn't include medical or police certificate with app, not as a choice, but because the process made me stupid...read and learned a lot here, and opted to do both before they were requested, and therefore got AIP/DM on the same day in October) and that I know, for a fact, that I've got my PR card in hand and can go on a long-planned trip to Spain with my husband and his family in less than two months.

I imagine I'll lurk here for a long time and share what little bit of wisdom I've picked up. I've had a most rewarding private correspondence with two people, and a good evening of "brain-picking" with a foreign national friend who lives here, in which I've been able to share the info I've learned.