+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thanking Liberal Government for C-6: Sample Letter/Email

robw

Mar 10, 2014
I sent off an email to Minister McCallum. I'll follow it up with a physical letter to him, as well as to Minister Freeland, my MP.

Thanks for raising the point, OP. Maybe they'll never read the letters, but writing and sending them requires very little effort on our part. We got nothing to lose by doing this.

surgi

Star Member
Feb 20, 2014
Diplomatru said:
Dears,

Please, let's not discuss JK here. He has nothing to do with C-6.
I agree ,it was Chris Alexander who introduced Bill C-24 to the parliament. Chris lost his seat in Ajax in the last election,and behind this there was a great effort from very nice and active people. So I think he got what he deserves and no need to discuss Chris either in this forum.

canmozu

Star Member
Jan 11, 2016
Let bygones be bygones
Hopefully the Bill is passed in timely manner so that eligible applicants apply as soon as possible.
Those whose application in process be also done faster because i experienced long delay myself and it so frustrating.

PTJ

Jun 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Awesome trend....fingers crossed. Hope the Bill will be passed but is there a slight possibility that it may be opposed?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PTJ said:
Awesome trend....fingers crossed. Hope the Bill will be passed but is there a slight possibility that it may be opposed?
Almost none. But to make sure, you have to contact you MP and request to support C-6.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
guys do you think its a good idea we start a thread to make a petition and organize the efforts of those in canada to contact Mp's to thanks and pressure them to continue through what they are doing , i'm afraid the conservative would block it in senate or parliament or change the rule , i took me a couple of years to accept the fact of the conservative citizenship law , it would be really difficult after this happy news to go back to the old rule

robw

Mar 10, 2014
cooldoc80 said:
guys do you think its a good idea we start a thread to make a petition and organize the efforts of those in canada to contact Mp's to thanks and pressure them to continue through what they are doing , i'm afraid the conservative would block it in senate or parliament or change the rule , i took me a couple of years to accept the fact of the conservative citizenship law , it would be really difficult after this happy news to go back to the old rule
Liberals control a majority of seats in parliament and senate hasn't blocked a bill in decades.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cooldoc80 said:

This is the most important bill for Liberals in the current parliamentary session yet. If it meets resistance in the senate, JT will populate the vacant seats with his people, and BAM, problem solved.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
Diplomatru said:
This is the most important bill for Liberals in the current parliamentary session yet. If it meets resistance in the senate, JT will populate the vacant seats with his people, and BAM, problem solved.
THANKS DIPLOMATRU , BUT IF THE SENATE REFUSE THE LAW , DOES IT HAVE A SECOND CHANCE OR THEY COULD CHANG/CANCEL IT FROM FIRST TIME !!!!

WHY DONT JT DONT FILL UP THOSE VACANT SEATS FROM NOW BEFORE THE BILL REACH THE SENATE?

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cooldoc80 said:
THANKS DIPLOMATRU , BUT IF THE SENATE REFUSE THE LAW , DOES IT HAVE A SECOND CHANCE OR THEY COULD CHANG/CANCEL IT FROM FIRST TIME !!!!
they can (hypothetically) defeat it during second reading or send it for further amending to the lower chamber.

WHY DONT JT DONT FILL UP THOSE VACANT SEATS FROM NOW BEFORE THE BILL REACH THE SENATE?
I wish he did actually, but he wants a senate void of partisanship.

Anyways, C-4 will be voted before C-6, and since the two bills share much in common (they are aimed at repealing CPC laws) we'll see if non-elected CPC Senators decide to basically antagonize citizens and vote in unison to defeat a popular vote.

Their whip, Plett said that in regards to C-4:

he expects heated and interesting discussions, but he suggested that the Tories might not subvert the will of the elected House.

"We will not do something out of hand," he told HuffPost. Because Trudeau's Liberals won the election and he is now the prime minister, Plett said, "I need to respect his office, whether I like it or not."
If the impossible happens and they defeat C-4, JT would likely rush the senators' appointment and have C-6 pass in order to overcome the potential legislative stalemate.

rmorgan

Jan 24, 2015
People,

Robw posted this concerning bit of news on how the Conservative Senators plan to block Bill C-6:

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/a-terrorist-is-a-terrorist-is-a-terrorist-tory-senators-vow-to-fight-changes-to-citizenship-laws-for-dual-nationals

"While it is highly unlikely the Senate’s Conservative majority would defeat C-6 – the Senate has defeated only six government bills since 1945 — Conservative Sen. Vern White said the bill could be sent back to the House of Commons with amendments, such as delaying its coming into force for five years"

Your comments would be welcome. Perhaps it is a good idea if more of us send in that letter of thanks to the Minister/MPs.

Cheers

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
LANDED..........
i'm really puzzled by why he wants to delay the bill for exactly 5 years ???? not 3 , 4 or 2 years

I guess the answer is clear , the conservatives know very well the earlier the liberals will pass this law , more Canadians will vote against them .......

5 years would be just fine for the next federal election to be over

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have just received a reply from my MPs office (Lib.) and would like to give you a quick update on the situation:

1) They view C-6 as a "central election promise"
2) Naturally he will vote in favour
3) They expect it will pass "by the close of the June sitting in a few months’ time"

I invite everyone to jump on this train and get proactive with your MPs! I've seen a lot of people here guessing when they can apply under the new rules. It's not something that you can take for granted, you've got to provide feedback through democratic institutions available to you as a PR, so that politicians stay on track. If you want this to happen, you can spend 30 minutes writing a letter or driving to the local MPs office. Let's back this guys who are doing a great job for us.

Politren

Jan 16, 2015
Diplomatru said:
I have just received a reply from my MPs office (Lib.) and would like to give you a quick update on the situation:

1) They view C-6 as a "central election promise"
2) Naturally he will vote in favour
3) They expect it will pass "by the close of the June sitting in a few months’ time"

I invite everyone to jump on this train and get proactive with your MPs! I've seen a lot of people here guessing when they can apply under the new rules. It's not something that you can take for granted, you've got to provide feedback through democratic institutions available to you as a PR, so that politicians stay on track. If you want this to happen, you can spend 30 minutes writing a letter or driving to the local MPs office. Let's back this guys who are doing a great job for us.
Fully Agree with that!!!