+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thank you Asivad Anac

Masin

Nov 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys and Asivad Anac, I have a very stressful and complicated situation and desperately need your advice and insight.
1- My closed work permit and my spouse's open work permit expires on Jan 31st.
2- I have applied for closed work permit extension in the middle of October but my spouse has not.
3- I also had an offer from a university in USA and my spouse and I applied for J1 and J2 visa on Dec. 30th.
4- I have got J1 visa but my spouse has gone through background check which may take at least 2 months to be approved for visa.
5- We both have applied for PR under FSW inland program in September and we are waiting in silence.

and now here is my question. If I leave Canada to start my work in USA, how can my spouse stay in Canada legally until our PPR comes or his J2 visa gets approved?

I appreciate your suggestions
Masin

nrc1978

Sep 10, 2014
Hi Asivad - I have applied for my PR on Nov 18,2015 and got AOR the same day and then applied for my BOWP on Nov 20,2015 as my current VISA/WP is expiring on Jan 26,2016.
I am planning to visit India for a Vacation in Feb 2016. Given the current timelines may or may not get the application process completed for both PR and BOWP before my travel.

Do i need to carry any specific documents (as i am implied status) while traveling out of Canada. Please advise

Thanks in advance

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pkumthek said:
Hey Guys,

I am in a stressful situation and I hope someone would help me to take a right decision here.

I applied on Sept 18, 2015 to EE under FSW stream. My wedding is planned on April 19, 2016 in India. I am leaving to India on April 1 and shall be back by end of April. If I get my PPR by Feb 15th I will send my Passport (as it takes apprx 2 weeks to get it back) and then do my landing as soon as I receive it before leaving for India.

You do realize that if you 'land' after PPR before getting married, your spouse won't be a part of this application? In that case, you'll have to sponsor them under Family class later.

But what would should I do if I get my PPR say in March? As I think it would be risky to send my passport given my travel plans in April. Should I write a letter to CIC indicating my intentions to get married on April 19th? Will CIC accommodate the change and will they give me sufficient time to send my spouse details and other documents?

You CANNOT add spouse details without getting married. What you need to do is hope that you don't get your PPR in Feb/March. Because if you do get the PPR by then, you'll have to request CIC to delay your 'landing' so that you may get married in April and add your spouse to the current application itself. I imagine that CIC won't support such a request.

Also, my PGWP was issued until my passport expiry which expires in mid august this year. Can I renew my PGWP when I am back from India when I send my spouse details to CIC?

This is possible and certainly not the problem here. Your bigger problem is CIC accepting your request to keep your PPR 'alive' till you get married.

Please help as I am not clear what to do.. Thanks friends!!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Masin said:
Hi guys and Asivad Anac, I have a very stressful and complicated situation and desperately need your advice and insight.
1- My closed work permit and my spouse's open work permit expires on Jan 31st.
2- I have applied for closed work permit extension in the middle of October but my spouse has not.
3- I also had an offer from a university in USA and my spouse and I applied for J1 and J2 visa on Dec. 30th.
4- I have got J1 visa but my spouse has gone through background check which may take at least 2 months to be approved for visa.
5- We both have applied for PR under FSW inland program in September and we are waiting in silence.

and now here is my question. If I leave Canada to start my work in USA, how can my spouse stay in Canada legally until our PPR comes or his J2 visa gets approved?

I appreciate your suggestions
Masin
Assuming you are the PA on your PR application, I imagine that your spouse cannot continue to stay legally in Canada after their work permit expires. They can try applying for visitor status though.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nrc1978 said:
Hi Asivad - I have applied for my PR on Nov 18,2015 and got AOR the same day and then applied for my BOWP on Nov 20,2015 as my current VISA/WP is expiring on Jan 26,2016.
I am planning to visit India for a Vacation in Feb 2016. Given the current timelines may or may not get the application process completed for both PR and BOWP before my travel.

Do i need to carry any specific documents (as i am implied status) while traveling out of Canada. Please advise

Thanks in advance
Toughie! Assuming you aren't from a visa-exempt country, I would recommend avoiding international travel till you get confirmation on BOWP/PR application or both.

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Asivad,

Thanks for the reply. If I get my PPR by feb end then I was thinking to send my passport and assuming it may take 3 weeks to get the passport back I would do the landing before leaving for India. But if the PPR gets delayed then writing a letter of intent is the only option that I'll be left with I guess!!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pkumthek said:
Hi Asivad,

Thanks for the reply. If I get my PPR by feb end then I was thinking to send my passport and assuming it may take 3 weeks to get the passport back I would do the landing before leaving for India. But if the PPR gets delayed then writing a letter of intent is the only option that I'll be left with I guess!!
Again, if you do the landing by yourself before getting married you'll have to sponsor your spouse on a completely new application. That is a separate process and can take a year or more.

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Again, if you do the landing by yourself before getting married you'll have to sponsor your spouse on a completely new application. That is a separate process and can take a year or more.
I guess that would be fine as she is in Canada on a pgwp valid until 2018. Would you think one month would be sufficient to get my passport and copr and complete the landing?

Also, if I get PPR in late March and tell cic about my wedding that I can't send my passport then is it dependent on the VO to give me that option or is it their protocol to allow me to get married and send my spouse's documents?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pkumthek said:
I guess that would be fine as she is in Canada on a pgwp valid until 2018. Would you think one month would be sufficient to get my passport and copr and complete the landing?

Takes about 2-3 weeks so Yes.

Also, if I get PPR in late March and tell cic about my wedding that I can't send my passport then is it dependent on the VO to give me that option or is it their protocol to allow me to get married and send my spouse's documents?

The protocol is to NOT delay PPR beyond 30 days unless there are extenuating circumstances. Getting married could be an extenuating circumstance provided it isn't too far in the future - grey area.

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, I hope then I get my PPR by end of Feb. If not then I'll send them proof that my wedding is planned already. Feeling very stressed because of this situation. CIC says that they process the application in 6 months what do they exactly mean by this? For them is the process complete when they issue PPR or when they send copr?

CanEEPR

Star Member
Aug 24, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

For the passport upload, do we need to scan all the passport pages with entry/exit stamps and visa or just the bio page:

in my personal checklist, i see the below description, it just asking for the bio data page:

Document: Passports/Travel Documents (Multiple)
"You must provide a clear, legible copy of your valid passport or travel document bio data page.
If using your passport, include a copy of the page that shows your birth date, country of origin, etc.
Your travel document must show proof of status (citizenship or residency), as well as photo identification. Your travel document must be issued by a government and include your name, photo, date of birth, document number, and the issue and expiry dates, if applicable. A travel document is used only by individuals who cannot obtain a passport."

however, I see in some of the threads its mention that we need to upload all passport pages with stamps and visa in addition to bio page ? I just got my new passport which doesnt have any stamp/visa yet and all my travels are on my old passport.

Please help ...

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pkumthek said:
Ok, I hope then I get my PPR by end of Feb. If not then I'll send them proof that my wedding is planned already. Feeling very stressed because of this situation. CIC says that they process the application in 6 months what do they exactly mean by this? For them is the process complete when they issue PPR or when they send copr?
The 6 month service promise spans the time from e-APR to issuance of PPR.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanEEPR said:
Hi,

For the passport upload, do we need to scan all the passport pages with entry/exit stamps and visa or just the bio page:

in my personal checklist, i see the below description, it just asking for the bio data page:

Document: Passports/Travel Documents (Multiple)
"You must provide a clear, legible copy of your valid passport or travel document bio data page.
If using your passport, include a copy of the page that shows your birth date, country of origin, etc.
Your travel document must show proof of status (citizenship or residency), as well as photo identification. Your travel document must be issued by a government and include your name, photo, date of birth, document number, and the issue and expiry dates, if applicable. A travel document is used only by individuals who cannot obtain a passport."

however, I see in some of the threads its mention that we need to upload all passport pages with stamps and visa in addition to bio page ? I just got my new passport which doesnt have any stamp/visa yet and all my travels are on my old passport.

Please help ...
Just the bio-pages of the valid passport.

pkumthek

May 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
The 6 month service promise spans the time from e-APR to issuance of PPR.
Ok thanks Asivad for your help..+1 for you!!