+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thai/Quebec sponsoring - CSQ Obtained and lessons learned

jvhd

Dec 28, 2008
Dear All,

Just wanted to share some good news today. After some back-and-forth between the Federal and Provincial governments, I finally got the CSQ and the process is back to normal. I am expecting my status to go to "In Progress" in the next weeks for the Singapore office.

Sponsor: Canadian citizen living in Thailand then moved back to Montreal
Sponsoree: Thai national living in Thailand

• 29Jan2009 - CIC Mississauga received application
  • 24Feb2009 - ECAS status "In Process"
  • 02Mar2009 - CIC letter requested additional forms
  • 12Mar2009 - CIC Mississauga received additional forms
  • 01Apr2009 - ECAS status "Decision made" (letter sent out on 30Mar2009)
  • 07Apr2009 - CIC letter received (Sponsorship accepted and transmitted to Singapore Office)
  • 23Apr2009 - ECAS status "Decision made" (forwarded letter to Quebec MICC for CSQ)
  • 27Apr2009 - MICC received application for CSQ
  • 15May2009 - MICC CSQ approved and received (decision sent to Singapore Office)

For those who are curious (and are applying to go live in Quebec) the back and forth was a real pain, especially because I was living abroad in Thailand and couldn't reach the CIC Mississauga except by fax. Now that I think about it, I should have been more critical and cautious about what the visa officer indicated me to do.

When the CIC first contacted me to provide additional forms, those forms were clearly NOT APPLICABLE for Quebec Residents. But then I thought, ok, I am living abroad, although I am intending to return to Quebec, I am not a Quebec Resident as of right then. So I signed the other forms and got the Option-C printout (that showed almost nothing as I was abroad). So I didn't asked questions, I just sent back the requested forms.

Then, our sponsorship at the federal level is accepted. However, the letter doesn't tell us that we must go to the Quebec MICC to obtain the CSQ. It's like my file doesn't show I intend to stay in Quebec (although I clearly checked the "I go live in Quebec checkbox")

• I go back to Canada to find work and prepare my wife's arrival.
  • I call the MICC; they can't do anything if I don't have a letter from CIC stating to contact them.
  • I call the CIC; they say I need to send a letter or fax the CIC Mississauga explaining your situation. My file doesn't show I go live in Quebec. I do so.
  • I finally got a call from CIC Mississauga explaining that they "did more checking than required (because it was supposed to be Quebec's role". They are sending a new letter for me to use with the MICC.

So now, everything seems to be back in order. However, I kick myself for not being more critical when I was first asked about these additional forms not applicable to Quebec. I should have put more emphasis on stating the obvious, saying btw, you see my file, we are going to Quebec... But I didn't. So I think that probably cost us good 6 weeks to correct that. Lessons learned.

Now I pray that the Singapore Office will be done in 6 months because her medicals expire in December.

Have a great day,
It's summer time soon,
Jean

msgomez

Star Member
Dec 5, 2008
Canada
jvhd said:
For those who are curious (and are applying to go live in Quebec) the back and forth was a real pain...
I am a resident of Quebec and am currently going through the sponsorship process to bring my husband home. In Quebec's defence, though we do have an extra step in applying to MICC, the process is not so much a pain... it's pretty straight forward. There are several links on the CIC website and information in the guides as well indicating that there are separate steps for Quebec residents or those that intend on living in Quebec.

I do however think it was an error on CIC's part for not including the correct information in your letter. I empathize and am sorry that you had a delay of 6 weeks because of this.

anhstar

Aug 18, 2009
Quebec
Hi jvhd! Im living in Quebec too, and sponsoring my wife who is in Vietnam.
Did the status of your wife's PR change to "In process"? It has been like that for us since 24 March 2009. Still waiting!