+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Termination without cause

european313

Sep 21, 2018
Hello,
I've just had my contract terminated without cause and I would like to know your opinion on it.
As I've been working for the company for 11 months I received 1 week of payment in lieu of notice. This they said is what complies with the minimum applicable employment standards legislation.
My termination clause in the contract never excitedly says how much notice I would get just "You will receive the minimum notice (or pay in lieu) and minimum severance (if any) to which you are entitled under applicable employment standards legislation.".

Thanks,
J

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Depends on a number of factors including whether you're a contract or full time employee, which province, etc. If you happen to be located in Ontario, this might help you.

https://duttonlaw.ca/severance-pay-ontario/

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
My termination clause in the contract never excitedly says how much notice I would get just "You will receive the minimum notice (or pay in lieu) and minimum severance (if any) to which you are entitled under applicable employment standards legislation.".

That means that if you should get terminated, they would pay you what the employment standards are in the particular province you are in. Typically if that is different, that is negotiated at the time you sign the contract, if not, the provincial labour standards apply.

If you put in enough insurable hours, you should look into applying for EI asap, delaying this can affect the amount of benefits and the length of your claim. The amount you received as payment will be calculated into how much you receive from EI. It will be indicated on your ROE