+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary visit to canada when having both Canada PR and US green card

Mdfaraz

Jan 19, 2019
I live in US on a work visa and had applied for canada PR which got approved in 2019. I landed there and got my PR card, but found a job back in US and moved again. I have been living in US for the past 3 years and recently got my US green card. Now I want to visit Canada to visit family. My canada PR card is still valid but not sure if I should enter Canada as a PR or, at the border, should I just mention its a temporary visit? Please advice

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
YOu must enter as a PR and they will identify you in the system.

Since your card is still valid, they may or may not ask about your situation. They will let you in. If you are out of compliance with the RO (more than 1095 days out of Canada since becoming a PR), they could report you for non-compliance with RO. Or they could just wave you through.

In long term, you may have to consider renouncing your PR status if you plan to travel to Canada from time to time while living in USA.

Reactions: scylla

Mdfaraz

Jan 19, 2019
Thanks for your response, that helps.
If I wish to become a canadian PR again after say 10 years, do I have to restart the express entry process all over again?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If I wish to become a canadian PR again after say 10 years, do I have to restart the express entry process all over again?
If you renounce your PR status, definitely would have to start anew.

Let's put it this way, while there are some narrow circumstances where you might possibly not have to do all over again, it would be unwise to plan on that being the case - chances are you'd be starting anew.