+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary status expired - crossing the border after applying for restoration.

chemicalos

Nov 2, 2019
Hi there,

My temporary status has expired (after having work permit under "Work and travel in Canada with International Experience Canada"). If I apply for the status restoration within 90 days of losing it but don't get the answer, can I leave Canada and return? Or would I be refused the entry on the border? How likely is such scenario? I'm a European citizen and normally could enter Canada after obtaining eTA.

Thanks!

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

My temporary status has expired (after having work permit under "Work and travel in Canada with International Experience Canada"). If I apply for the status restoration within 90 days of losing it but don't get the answer, can I leave Canada and return? Or would I be refused the entry on the border? How likely is such scenario? I'm a European citizen and normally could enter Canada after obtaining eTA.

Thanks!
Not advisable. You would have a higher chance of being refused entry. Why did you not just apply to change your status before expiry?

chemicalos

Nov 2, 2019
Not advisable. You would have a higher chance of being refused entry. Why did you not just apply to change your status before expiry?
I have applied for a work permit extension but it was refused. I'd like to stay in Canada till I can apply for Young Professional work permit early next year.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have applied for a work permit extension but it was refused. I'd like to stay in Canada till I can apply for Young Professional work permit early next year.
You didn't qualify for a work permit extension. You should have applied to change your status to visitor. As you applied for a permit without qualifying, a Restoration app is less likely to be approved.

chemicalos

Nov 2, 2019
I understand however that was a genuine mistake caused by lack of knowledge. If I apply right now for the restoration (so still within the 90 days time period from when my temporary status has expired) what kind of status I will have before I receive the answer (regardless if it's positive or negative)?

When I fill the restoration application, what would be a good reason to provide for staying in Canada as a visitor?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I understand however that was a genuine mistake caused by lack of knowledge. If I apply right now for the restoration (so still within the 90 days time period from when my temporary status has expired) what kind of status I will have before I receive the answer (regardless if it's positive or negative)?

When I fill the restoration application, what would be a good reason to provide for staying in Canada as a visitor?
You won't have any status.

The truth. I don't know why you want to stay.