+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Resident Visa (worker) URGENT

jacquevw

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Hi,

I am in the process of applying for permanent residence with my wife as my sponsor. She and my daughter are currently with me in South Africa and will return back to Canada soon.

I work on luxury yachts as freelance crew and have recently (yesterday 2010-05-31) been offered a somewhat permanent job with one of my previous Yacht Captains. The yacht operates on the Pacific side between USA and Canada from California through British Columbia to Alaska. In order to accept the position I will need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (worker class) because my job as a crew member is exempt from needing a Work Permit.

Now the problem is I have applied to enter Canada as a visitor about a month ago and been denied the TRV due to my strong family ties (my wife and daughter being Canadian citizens) in Canada.

Here are my questions:

1. Will the fact that I have been denied as a visitor affect their decision of allowing me to enter as a worker on a foreign vessel?

2. Can I ,if granted the worker visa, still apply for sponsorship outside Canada while I am in Canada?

3. Should I apply for the worker class visa at a different visa office? In USA where I will be joining the Yacht or in Pretoria where I recently got denied as a visitor?

I am currently unemployed so my head is telling that my PR application would look a lot more attractive if I am employed in a job that I am trained for and can show them that I can support myself and my family when I get sponsored.

Any suggestions or experiences would be a great help!

Thanks

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
You may need to call cic directly. I think your situation is pretty unique. Good luck. I hope it works out.

I

iarblue

Well having a job will make no difference,and as to wether you get the work visa or not nobody knows you just need to apply.

jacquevw

Star Member
May 27, 2010
Yes I guess the only way to find out is to just get the necessary documents from employer and apply! Hopefully it all works out smoothly!!

MexiCana

Star Member
Mar 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
11-06-2010
File Transfer...
17-05-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2011
LANDED..........
22-02-2011
1. Will the fact that I have been denied as a visitor affect their decision of allowing me to enter as a worker on a foreign vessel?
-I don't see why it would, as far as I know the hurdle you jump with a work visa is obtaining the right Labour Market Opinion, but I suggest you ask in one of the other forums here where the people have more knowledge of the work permit process.

2. Can I ,if granted the worker visa, still apply for sponsorship outside Canada while I am in Canada?
Yes absoutely. In fact my partner lived in Canada on a worker visa while I sponsored him.

3. Should I apply for the worker class visa at a different visa office? In USA where I will be joining the Yacht or in Pretoria where I recently got denied as a visitor?
I don't know, sorry.