+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Resident visa troubles, inquiries

Neige

May 4, 2006
Hey everyone,

To say it briefly: I have a boyfriend in Quebec. Tomorrow I'm heading up to Seattle to see about getting a 6 month visitor visa or temporary resident visa to stay with him (he plans to sponsor me for PR eventually), but I'm sick with worry for several reasons. I'd like to know what I should expect when I talk to the officer tomorrow, and to make sure I have all of the necessary paperwork. I contacted the immigration building twice via email-- each a month apart, and I have yet to hear from either of them about my inquiries. There is no way to reach them by phone, as I tried, and learned the Seattle Canadian immigration has stopped phone inquires-- This is why I am writing this post here, to ask for guidance and alternatives.

Breaking it down into points:

1: What kinds of Proof of Funds would I need for my temporary resident visa? Both my family and my boyfriend support me financially, because I hold no job or property myself.

After reading this thread: http://www.canadavisa.com/forum/about2503.html
I got some ideas of what I might need to bring after reading that, but I'd like to be sure if this is correct.

2: 7 months ago I obtained a visitor visa to stay with my boyfriend for 6 months. After 6 months and a worker visa being processed, I left to visit my family for a week-- on the return-ticket back to Canada, I was stopped at the boarder and sent back after being urged to sign a 'withdrawl to enter canada' because they believed my worker visa would be rejected. In the end, a week after the ordeal, I received news that it was refused, but on the employer's side, on the premises that Canadians can be hired to do the job.

How do these events affect my chances of getting a temporary resident visa, and what can I do?

3: I understand that a temporary resident visa can be rejected on the grounds that I don't have a reason to return-- is a returning ticket good enough as proof, or are there other criterias that I need to meet?

4: I picked up 4 photographs for the visa, but I could only find places that did pictures in 2x2, and refused to do anything smaller. Will they accept this, or will I have to cut it manually?

If there is any advice or suggestions anyone can offer for my situation, please don't hesitate to post. I'm not sure of my chances, of whether I should wait or what will happen if I fail getting a visa because of my lack of knowledge about immigration. Since I'm leaving tomorrow morning to make it there in the 2-hour window immigration is open, I'm hoping to receive some replies by then.

Thank you