+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Resident Permit - re-entry to Canada

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
Good day all,

I was granted a new TRP to extend my stay in Canada for a year. However, unlike my old TRP, the new TRP will invalidate upon departuring Canada. In order to keep the TRP valid, I need to obtain prior authorization to re-enter Canada. I have searched extensively online and could not find any information on how to obtain prior authorization.

Any help is appreciated in guiding me to the right direction.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
I could be wrong but there most likely is no such provision unless it was noted on the TRP at the time of issue. You have to re-apply from outside Canada as TRP is no longer valid once you leave unless you have been specifically authorized to leave and re-enter.
Your best bet is to contact IRCC. Good luck!
Thank you for your input. Form IMM5708 is an application to change conditions. Would it help if I use this form to request a change to my re-entry status?

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
I do not think you can use that, please Google "ircc web form" and check if you can submit a request to get the info. you need.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/temporary-resident-permits.html
I spoke with a IRCC agent. As previously mentioned, she advised my TRP will invalidate once I leave Canada, and that I'll have to apply for a TRP and OWP when I enter Canada again.

I have a flight out of Canada in a few months and coming back in 3 weeks. Instead of applying for a TRP/OWP at the airport when I arrive back in Canada, would it be more prudent If I go to a bridge crossing port of entry to apply for a TRP and OWP in advance of my flight? I would essentially cross to the US, then come right back and have them review my TRP/OWP application. I understand that I run the risk of the immigration officer rejecting my application and leaving me hanging. So how likely will I be granted a TRP and OWP that allows multiple entry given I was just granted the TRP and OWP 2 weeks ago?

a bit of my background, my inadmissibility is due to dui and my spouse lives in Canada. I was initially granted a 6 month TRP with multiple entry at a bridge crossing port of entry. I applied for an extension to remain in Canada and open work permit. I was approved for another TRP and OWP that's valid for 1 year, but the new TRP is not for multiple entry. I would go back to the same bridge crossing port of entry if I plan to re-apply for a TRP and OWP.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
I do not think you can use that, please Google "ircc web form" and check if you can submit a request to get the info. you need.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/inadmissibility/temporary-resident-permits.html
Or what if apply for an extension again for a trp and owp before I leave Canada? I would be under implied status, and that would allow me to re-enter Canada if im reading the below link correctly.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/visitors/implied-status-extending-stay.html

Implied status and travelling outside Canada
A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may be allowed to

• re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application to study or work in Canada, provided they are temporary resident visa (TRV)-exempt, as per section R190, or on a multiple-entry visa.

kanon

Jun 17, 2016
This is really tricky, I will recommend meeting an immigration lawyer!
I don't think implied status will apply to you as once you leave Canada as a TRP holder not authorized for multiple entries, your TRP is invalidated. At that point you won't qualify for a subsequent TRP either and that will leave them with the option to grant you a new TRP at the border or deny entry. Since you have a valid work permit and a TRP valid for 1 year received just 2 weeks ago, their is a high chance they might give you a new TRP with multiple entry but things can go south too. It's a huge risk imo, but if you have to travel that bad, it might be worth it.

When to issue a new TRP instead of a subsequent TRP
If review of risk and need determines that issuance of a TRP is warranted an officer should issue a new TRP in the following circumstances:

• the client applied for a subsequent TRP after expiry of the previous document and has not satisfied an officer of compelling reasons for delay;
  • the client is inadmissible for a new reason;
  • the client left Canada, is returning to Canada and re-entry was not previously authorized as indicated on the “Temporary Resident Permit” record in GCMS or the TRP itself;
  • there are prolonged periods of absence from Canada that amount to a break in continuity of residence.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/permits/subsequent-permits.html

Submit a web form asking how you can change your current TRP to a multiple entry one without re-applying. If they get back saying you have no choice but to re-apply, I would wait it out man instead of risking the whole thing.
I appreciate your response Andy. This gives clarity on my options.