+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Resident Extension

LandD

Apr 8, 2011
We are currently filling out the application and it asks how long you would like to extend your stay and why your origional trip to canada was as such... well we wanna make it as long as we can so we can get married and sponsorship started and his reason to come here was to pursue our relationship but is that something we should put on the forms? if not then what?

Thankyou

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LandD said:
We are currently filling out the application and it asks how long you would like to extend your stay and why your origional trip to canada was as such... well we wanna make it as long as we can so we can get married and sponsorship started and his reason to come here was to pursue our relationship but is that something we should put on the forms? if not then what?

Thankyou
How long have you been together in Canada?
How soon will it be before you apply for PR?
If it is not too far in the future, you could pay for the PR application and include a copy of the receipt with your extension application.

Ask for the time you want, six months, a year.
Put the truth on the forms.

LandD

Apr 8, 2011
Well we have been together for over a year but he has been here 6 months as of may 6th we havent gotten married yet but were doing that asap... I assumed we couldnt start the sponsorship process yet because we are not married...

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LandD said:
Well we have been together for over a year but he has been here 6 months as of may 6th we havent gotten married yet but were doing that asap... I assumed we couldnt start the sponsorship process yet because we are not married...
I assume you are going to apply for family spousal?

Have a read here
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html;msg344291#msg344291

You can pay for the PR process online right now, submitting the forms when you are married. CIC don't mind having your money :)

On the extension, apply via postal mail - get a signature proof of delivery, the current processing time will give you over four months before a decision is made.
I know applicants who have done this and got a one year extension on top of the four months processing time.

LandD

Apr 8, 2011
Ok I am filling out the forms just wanna make sure I can before I fill it out...

I can request a year?

And it asks what his origional reason for coming to Canada was which was me to pursue our relationship we met online so should we put that as a reason?

We have a copy of my bank statement a current pay stub his bank statement his birth certificate his state ID his passport info and Ill be paying online for it tomorrow and printing the reciept will all this suffice to send out to Alberta?

LandD

Apr 8, 2011
Also where it says to spare more details on how he has support what should i put there I am supporting him at the moment or should i just attatch the documents (bank statements and what not) and a letter signed by myself and we should put on the application to just look at the documents attatched?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5558E.PDF document checklist; see that you send whatever applies. Also make sure that a copy of the marked pages of his passport (entry to Canada), bio page are included in your application package.

And yes, "to pursue the relationship" is a good reason for coming to visit you.

LandD

Apr 8, 2011
Good and about the proof of support would me writing a letter with our bank statements be enough proof of support?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
A statement of undertaking from you, and your bank statement/tax return; his bank statement.

LandD said:
Good and about the proof of support would me writing a letter with our bank statements be enough proof of support?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LandD said:
Ok I am filling out the forms just wanna make sure I can before I fill it out...

I can request a year?

Yes, some people ask for less and extend again later on.

And it asks what his origional reason for coming to Canada was which was me to pursue our relationship we met online so should we put that as a reason?
The truth is a good idea.

We have a copy of my bank statement a current pay stub his bank statement his birth certificate his state ID his passport info and Ill be paying online for it tomorrow and printing the reciept will all this suffice to send out to Alberta?

Should be fine, you can include more proof, if you have more.

spin101

Apr 17, 2011
Baloo (or anyone that knows the answer) with regards to extending a visitor visa you say:

On the extension, apply via postal mail - get a signature proof of delivery
Is this enough to prevent you being kicked out of the country when your Visa runs out? I sent the application 45 days before my visa runs out, I have proof of delivery etc.

Also, should I make the CBSA aware that I have applied for an extension? My 6 months Visitor Visa (I am from the UK) runs out on 30th April.

Many thanks.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
You do not need a visa being a citizen of the UK; you were probably allowed to stay for 6 months as per the stamp on your passport. You're on implied status till you receive a VR or a refusal letter. If you left the country without waiting for the result of your extension application then you would have complied with the conditions of your stay, which is temporary. But keep copies of the receipt of payment and proof of delivery for your application to extend stay.

spin101 said:
Baloo (or anyone that knows the answer) with regards to extending a visitor visa you say:

Is this enough to prevent you being kicked out of the country when your Visa runs out? I sent the application 45 days before my visa runs out, I have proof of delivery etc.

Also, should I make the CBSA aware that I have applied for an extension? My 6 months Visitor Visa (I am from the UK) runs out on 30th April.

Many thanks.