+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temporary Foreign worker permit Extension

Jul 15, 2019
Hello,
I am currently working in Canada but my contract gets over by June so I was wondering what to do regarding extending the permit , without having a contract and stay here until it’s safe to fly to my home country. Did the cic make any changes to the IMP open permit extension during this covid 19 situation?? Please help.
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I am currently working in Canada but my contract gets over by June so I was wondering what to do regarding extending the permit , without having a contract and stay here until it’s safe to fly to my home country. Did the cic make any changes to the IMP open permit extension during this covid 19 situation?? Please help.
Thanks
If you want to remain in Canada beyond the expiry of your work permit, you need to apply to change your status to visitor.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
Thanks
No changes have been made to the IMP process. You would follow the same process you follwed previously. You require a contract to extend your closed work permit.

harryguns

Sep 27, 2019
@canuck_in_uk @scylla My Temporary visa is expired and Closed WP extension was approved this week (basically was on Implied status). Also, my PR application is in progress and is in the final stages (crossed 6 months and due to current pandemic facing delay in PPR). What is the option for me to proceed with?
Should I raise temporary visa while my PR application is in progress ? or wait for the PR decision?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
@canuck_in_uk @scylla My Temporary visa is expired and Closed WP extension was approved this week (basically was on Implied status). Also, my PR application is in progress and is in the final stages (crossed 6 months and due to current pandemic facing delay in PPR). What is the option for me to proceed with?
Should I raise temporary visa while my PR application is in progress ? or wait for the PR decision?
If you are referring to the TRV, you can apply for a new one but it is not required.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes TRV. If I want to validate my status in Canada and applying for TRV, will it affect my ongoing PR application?
No idea what you mean about validating your status. A TRV is a stamp in your passport that allows you to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It has nothing to do with status in Canada or your PR app.

Jul 15, 2019
If you want to remain in Canada beyond the expiry of your work permit, you need to apply to change your status to visitor.
But then I have to continue paying rent or stay in a hotel until its safe to travel and that is probably not a good idea. money wise, during this time when i need every cent i have. I was thinking there would be other options. I was thinking if under a closed permit (IMP) I can do a different job for some time......
like would the same permit be extended under a different job contract.!!??

Jul 15, 2019
No changes have been made to the IMP process. You would follow the same process you follwed previously. You require a contract to extend your closed work permit.
Yeah i will probably have to leave.. I was thinking if i applied for a different contract, i can stay in implied status which gives me time for the situation to get a bit better and flying is safe, so i can go home!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
But then I have to continue paying rent or stay in a hotel until its safe to travel and that is probably not a good idea. money wise, during this time when i need every cent i have. I was thinking there would be other options. I was thinking if under a closed permit (IMP) I can do a different job for some time......
like would the same permit be extended under a different job contract.!!??
Yeah i will probably have to leave.. I was thinking if i applied for a different contract, i can stay in implied status which gives me time for the situation to get a bit better and flying is safe, so i can go home!
No exceptions have been announced, so no, you can't do a different job under a closed work permit and the requirements remain the same in order to apply for another a work permit.