+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Temp Worker to Permanent, next steps in finance?

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Hey, since becoming PR there's a lot less question about my stay in Canada, at least for the next 5 years when I have to renew.

My previous tax return, I filled the bare minimum, temporary worker stuff not planning to stay in Canada forever, so getting the most of my pay. I think there were some Pensiun related boxes like RRSP in the tax form that I submitted to the employer, but it has been 0 for now.

What do you think I need to resubmit to my employer, changes to the tax form that I gave them when I started?

There is some time before my retirement :) but being immigrants I think we worry about every angle since day one, at least I do. :)

Any other finance tips that could help people to settle down in Canada, please share them. Sorry if the questions vague, but right now I understand essentially nothing about these things. Other than paystubs and having to file taxes every year.

Is there anyone I can talk about this, an accountant, if so what kind?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey, since becoming PR there's a lot less question about my stay in Canada, at least for the next 5 years when I have to renew.

My previous tax return, I filled the bare minimum, temporary worker stuff not planning to stay in Canada forever, so getting the most of my pay. I think there were some Pensiun related boxes like RRSP in the tax form that I submitted to the employer, but it has been 0 for now.

What do you think I need to resubmit to my employer, changes to the tax form that I gave them when I started?

There is some time before my retirement :) but being immigrants I think we worry about every angle since day one, at least I do. :)

Any other finance tips that could help people to settle down in Canada, please share them. Sorry if the questions vague, but right now I understand essentially nothing about these things. Other than paystubs and having to file taxes every year.

Is there anyone I can talk about this, an accountant, if so what kind?

Thanks
This isn’t really the best place to get a general rundown of the basics of personal finance, pension and savings vehicles. Would suggest googling basics like retirement Canada. RRSP and TFSA are terms that should come up as well as CPP/OAS/GIS.

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Ok, it seems I also need to work on credit score as well, getting a postpaid cellular account, more CC, etc..

Anyways, I did ask who I can talk to about these things. Back home I guess we have independent financial advisors, people working outside banks or financial institutions and objectively looking at our situation and help us in our finance decisions/options.

In Canada, where how do we reach one of those. Googling that term shows me a myriad of different job functions, none I'm seeing is valid for what I want. Point is I just want to do my job and pay someone else to worry about that stuff.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ok, it seems I also need to work on credit score as well, getting a postpaid cellular account, more CC, etc..

Anyways, I did ask who I can talk to about these things. Back home I guess we have independent financial advisors, people working outside banks or financial institutions and objectively looking at our situation and help us in our finance decisions/options.

In Canada, where how do we reach one of those. Googling that term shows me a myriad of different job functions, none I'm seeing is valid for what I want. Point is I just want to do my job and pay someone else to worry about that stuff.
Similar thing in Canada. There are financial adviser associated with a bank and those running their own business.